IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 03:24 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What he said^

It's basically a reliability issue with the manufacturers. Not pushing cars to the fullest performance wise extends the life of the car, and ultimately helps preserve a car companies reputation for reliability. The goal for tuning is to improve upon what the manufacturer has done with the car, and do it safely and in a manner that won't detract from the overall reliability. Given that most owners don't own a car for more than 5-6 years and or 100,000 miles upgrading performance in the name of equal or slightly decreased reliability is a trade-off worth every penny
Old 12-22-08, 03:25 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Actually this thread was started before you became a vendor and I have every right to my opinion no matter how many times I wish to say it. You are not the OP. Why don't you start a thread in the Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace and I promise I'll keep quiet just for you.
Honestly, I don't think anyone wants to hear a broken record at this point. You've stated your case multiple times, I said your opinion was respected, what else do you want? Cheaper prices? Look elsewhere, not going to happen here.
The bottom line is those that want will have, and those that don't, won't. If more owners take your stance we'll simply move on to another market. Good luck trying to get anyone else to fab a full 304T exhaust with longtubes (and the same options we give) shipped to your door for our price or less. IS-F=C63=M3= Niche market. There are simply too few vehicles on the road to get any other major manufacturer interested, especially at a less expensive rate--there just isn't enough market.

Just and FYI, I WAS the one that asked 8speed to contact you about potential ECU tuning for the IS-F as I was impressed with what you were doing on the MB forums. Your comment on the MB forums about being able to tap the TOYOTA ecu was intriguing.
You do realize this car is a Toyota right? This is one of the reasons I'm so surprised with the kind of prices you are asking for the products.
Actually in the U.S. it's a "Lexus". Check around the marketplace, not just for Lexus parts but other makes in the same league. Our pricing is most definitely not out of line, at all...
Again, our E92 M3 and W204 C63 Tunes (vehicles that are direct competitors to the IS-F) are $4500 and no one complains, what makes you think your $60k car deserves a cheaper rate despite the fact it takes just as long to custom tune?
If you want a $1500 ECU/TCU tune, buy a Tundra.

Perhaps it's a matter of perspective. Being that everyone else in the world only tunes half the driveline, and we do all of it, we believe that 90% of our tuning customers won't need any other mods to be more than happy with their vehicles. Add up the cost of an existing exhaust/CAI setup then dyno/track test and then we'll compare $/HP gain.

Last edited by MHP; 12-22-08 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-22-08, 03:29 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MHP
Honestly, I don't think anyone wants to hear a broken record at this point. You've stated your case multiple times, I said your opinion was respected, what else do you want? Cheaper prices? Look elsewhere, not going to happen here.

Actually in the U.S. it's a "Lexus". Check around the marketplace, not just for Lexus parts but other makes in the same league. Our pricing is most definitely not out of line, at all...
Again, our E92 M3 and W204 C63 Tunes (vehicles that are direct competitors to the IS-F) are $4500 and no one complains, what makes you think your $60k car deserves a cheaper rate despite the fact it takes just as long to custom tune?
If you want a $1500 ECU/TCU tune, buy a Tundra.

WTF $1,500 to tune a Tundra

You've got some nerve Andy!
Old 12-22-08, 03:29 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
I have every right to my opinion no matter how many times I wish to say it.
so what is the 0.00/hp ratio on this tune again? est. 20hp for 4500.00 right?

225/1hp not bad

what is the cobb subi tune run these days? 800.00 for the access port, unlimited tunes, and about 60hp gain?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-22-08 at 04:46 PM. Reason: How many times.... pm me if you want to discuss
Old 12-22-08, 03:39 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 8speed
WTF $1,500 to tune a Tundra

You've got some nerve Andy!
We haven't decided on final pricing yet for Tundra's, I just threw that out there.

Originally Posted by combfilter
so what is the 0.00/hp ratio on this tune again? est. 20hp for 4500.00 right?

225/1hp not bad

what is the cobb subi tune run these days? 800.00 for the access port, unlimited tunes, and about 60hp gain?
You can't compare a N/A tune to a FI tune. We can make 800rwtq with just ECU/TCU tuning from a 600/5.5L TT MB V12, or 900rwtq from a AMG65/6.0L TT V12. Gains with the 3.0L TT BMW inline 6 are also huge by comparison.

We estimate a 20-30rwhp gain with our ECU/TCU tuning on a IS-F. Again though it's not just about peak gains, area under the curve, eliminated tq management, shift quickness, raised shift points, raised stall speed, etc will all help your cars become quicker/faster and more enjoyable in day to day driving than with a run of the mill ECU only tune.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-22-08 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-22-08, 03:54 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

i really think all of this back and forth arguing over price worth is detrimental to this thread. The price is set, and it is very apparent that MHP will not be changing it. The best to do now is wait for Juan to get his ECU in, run the car for alot of miles (Juan you better put the ECU in, and just start driving, and not come back until you've clocked the required miles and then dyno'd it!!!)
once we have the official results, then we'll be able to determine whether it'll be cost effective or not. If you don't think its cost effective, say so, and then 'nuff said. Your voice will be more heard by MHP by not using their product than to continually be arguing w/ them
a company has finally stepped up to crack our ECU, which has been a huge issue. once more than one compnay figures it out, the price will go down w/ competition but, this is a step. If its not financially acceptable for an individual, than simply don't upgrade, but plz avoid knocking those who plan on it, as well as the company that is figuring out how to tune it

And as for those who have said that its expensive for a non-tangible upgrade, i think being able to line up next to an IS-F with no visible upgrades and blow him away is more than tangible for me. The only tangible upgrade between the IS250 and IS350 are the breaks... until you open the hood and you find 100 more hp, and trust me, i'd rather have a IS350 without redouts and wheels than an IS250 with a bodykit, wheels, and redouts thats half as fast.

To put it another way, if your wife asked you for a Vuitton purse for Christmas, would you snag her a knock off Coach instead?
nope, i'd buy her a knock-off Vuitton and tell her it was real =)

Last edited by Scythe; 12-22-08 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-22-08, 04:06 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Scythe
i really think all of this back and forth arguing over price worth is detrimental to this thread. The price is set, and it is very apparent that MHP will not be changing it. The best to do now is wait for Juan to get his ECU in, run the car for alot of miles (Juan you better put the ECU in, and just start driving, and not come back until you've clocked the required miles and then dyno'd it!!!)
once we have the official results, then we'll be able to determine whether it'll be cost effective or not. If you don't think its cost effective, say so, and then 'nuff said. Your voice will be more heard by MHP by not using their product than to continually be arguing w/ them
a company has finally stepped up to crack our ECU, which has been a huge issue. once more than one compnay figures it out, the price will go down w/ competition but, this is a step. If its not financially acceptable for an individual, than simply don't upgrade

And as for those who have said that its expensive for a non-tangible upgrade, i think being able to line up next to an IS-F with no visible upgrades and blow him away is more than tangible for me. The only tangible upgrade between the IS250 and IS350 are the breaks... until you open the hood and you find 100 more hp, and trust me, i'd rather have a IS350 without redouts and wheels than an IS250 with a bodykit, wheels, and redouts thats half as fast.

Very well said!

One thing just to be clear (not argumentative), regardless of who else comes into the market our pricing will stay at the same rate. The market for BMW/MB is already flooded which made no difference to us. Our rates are based on the amount of time we put into each cal, every one of which is custom--plus again the fact that no one else does TCUs.

Thanks!
Andy
Old 12-22-08, 04:07 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Scythe

nope, i'd buy her a knock-off Vuitton and tell her it was real =)
LMAO, my EX would've beat my ***.
Old 12-22-08, 04:17 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MHP
Our Ferrari/Lambo tunes are $10-18k depending on how custom the cal is. Dual ECUs are no joke, and we're one of a handful in the world that can tune them.

well i am starting to come around as i look further i see that a tune is very important, but should i just wait till i mod the cars exhaust and intake then tune or will you have a tune plan where i can come back and pay less to re modify the existing tune?
and what if my ecu happens to fail and need a replacement will you just retune it at no extra cost and what about dyno? can i ship you my is-f to make sure makes what it should? also when will you have a website update? i see that your company must do well i am a visual person and like to see it in a webpage.

does your srt8 have the kooks headers and corsa exhaust?
Old 12-22-08, 04:29 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Does the ECU/TCU change remove the speed limiter/any other things? Does it change the shift points and/or redline?
Old 12-22-08, 04:31 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Combfilter is right on 100% with his post!
Old 12-22-08, 04:39 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

^^Agreed
Old 12-22-08, 04:45 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DFLORES
well i am starting to come around as i look further i see that a tune is very important, but should i just wait till i mod the cars exhaust and intake then tune or will you have a tune plan where i can come back and pay less to re modify the existing tune?
You can go either route, but ultimately what needs to be changed if anything will be determined based on the hard parts being used. For instance if you just added a catback we wouldn't need to change anything. However if you went with our full exhaust (LT to tailpipe) we'd need to tweak A/F. We make these changes (as far as bolt-ons go) for free for existing customers. If you want a seperate tune for nitrous, H/C, etc. please call/PM/email to discuss pricing.

and what if my ecu happens to fail and need a replacement will you just retune it at no extra cost and what about dyno? can i ship you my is-f to make sure makes what it should? also when will you have a website update? i see that your company must do well i am a visual person and like to see it in a webpage.

does your srt8 have the kooks headers and corsa exhaust?
If your ECU somehow fails while in use or your dealer reflashes over our tuning, we'll reflash you for free. That being said if your ECU fails (which never happens while in use) Lexus will replace it for free as mandated by law they have to for 80k miles--meaning they design them not to fail.
While you can ship us your IS-F to dyno it would be much easier and cheaper for you to do at a local shop--not to mention you'll be doing a completely objective test using a third party.
Our new site should be up in it's entirety by mid Jan. Don't hold our present one against us, we're just too busy working on customers vehicles to spend time on the site right now.
My Jeep has a full Stainless Works/MHP exhaust. We partnered with them for our domestic systems.

Originally Posted by oztiks
Does the ECU/TCU change remove the speed limiter/any other things? Does it change the shift points and/or redline?
Yes, the speed limiter is removed, the shift points are raised (200-300rpm) as is redline. Stall converter speed is also raised ~150-200rpm to help with launch.
Old 12-22-08, 04:56 PM
zakizaki
Driver School Candidate

Andy, maybe you mentioned it already but perhaps I have not seen it.

What HP and Torque gains are you expecting for the ECU/TCU tuning for the IS-F?

What gains would you estimate for the Exhaust change for the IS-F?

When are you coming to Houston? Feb? Date? venue?

Thanks. And thanks for stepping up to the plate and doing the ECU/TCU tuning for us.
Old 12-22-08, 05:02 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

MHP yes very true you cant compare NA vs FI. I agree. I was just throwing some numbers around.

there is no doubt you will get some buyers. You are dealing with a market in that 55-65k range. they will have 4500 to try to squeeze another 20-30 out. If they were concerned about having the fastest car possible in that price range they would have bought a vette.

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)