IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-08, 05:43 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MHP
We can literally tune all models right now, I think we found an IS350 tester tonight. We need GS430/LS430 and IS250 testers asap.

If there is a delay yes we can improve upon it, how much depends on how large of a delay there is to begin with and what we find in the code. Regardless the difference is always significant.

Thanks
im willing to be a tester & i have access to a dynojet... i have a IS250 6MT with an HKS axle back and a Fujita Short ram.... also im wantign to go supercharged by the end of 2009

Last edited by Robs IS250; 12-23-08 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-23-08, 05:58 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So far I've seen only 3 IS-Fs on the road (not including mine), and it was while driving, so no, I don't know anyone with an IS-F. I've seen a couple of guys posting here that live either in Miami or Broward, so we can meet up and have friendly runs.

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Juanca,

One thought I had for after you put your 200 miles on.... Do you know any other local IS-F owners that you might be able to do some side-by-side (or even car swapping back-and-forth between the two drivers) comparisons with?
Old 12-23-08, 06:09 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

So Andy I have a question. First of all let me say great job so far.

I'm not sure if this relates, but would it be better to wait to tune if one was planning on purchasing an exhaust and/or intake? Whether it be a JoeZ or a full MHP exhaust with longtubes, could you create a more optimal tune for an ISF with a more free flowing intak/exhaust combo? Or will an intake and exhaust just compliment the stock tune well enough? Again, I'm not sure if these parts actually will respond any differently to an ECU tune.

So is it worth waiting for a SECOND tune that will better optimize the future "aftermarket" or is this the end of the line as far as ISF tuning goes?

Thanks in advance for your attention to my questions.
Old 12-23-08, 06:22 AM
stash84
Rookie

Thumbs up

Juanca,

One thought I had for after you put your 200 miles on.... Do you know any other local IS-F owners that you might be able to do some side-by-side (or even car swapping back-and-forth between the two drivers) comparisons with?
Im willing to do it... I live right by the turnpike too !
Old 12-23-08, 06:27 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

ill get both if my friends in Hi Profile if you need.. one has a custom catback and SRT intake and the other one is bone stock
Old 12-23-08, 06:37 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Robs IS250
ill get both if my friends in Hi Profile if you need.. one has a custom catback and SRT intake and the other one is bone stock

SRT is -HP and TQ unless he got the ECU update!
Old 12-23-08, 06:38 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Juan,

I'm making a trip to Gainesville in the next few days, 300 miles there and 300 miles back.. lets swap cars so I can get you your 200 miles!
Old 12-23-08, 06:40 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Muy bien! Juan I hope you are driving the snot out of your car today!

You should be able to knock out 200 mi by 11am and be at the track by 1pm!

BTW, for those of you just joining in on the fun, before you ask the same question of Andy/MHP that has been asked 15 time before, first try searching the thread for the answer.
Old 12-23-08, 07:17 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
As I told Andy last night over the phone, I'll be posting my experience with the tuned IS-F compared to how it was before the tune. Also this experience is not based on that I have to drive hard the first 200 miles, I always drive hard, with this car, with my previous cars, even with my wife cars (I hope she isn't reading this... LOL).

Well, I just put another 25 miles on the car, I'm at around 50 now. On my way to the office this morning I forgot to select SPORT mode (I always drive in SPORT but since I've been driving a different car these past days I didn't think about it) and when started to drive hard I said to my self "wait a second, it feels like before the tune (and I was referring as before WITH sport mode)". I noticed that the traction control was working a lot (something I forgot as well, I always disable traction control except when it's raining). That's when I realized that I forgot those 2 switches so I pulled over and went to TC off and SPORT. OMG, what a difference! Now driving in normal + manual is like before driving in sport + manual.

One of the roads that I take everyday in Miami is Okeechobee heading to Turnpike, 3 lanes per side with traffic lights every 2 miles, and almost no cars early in the morning. Well, I happened to see a 997 Porsche Carrera S moving fast on the same direction, and the traffic light ahead was red. I thought it'd be a good test to have a friendly run with this guy, but he took one lane and the other 2 were taken already, so I stopped behind him. The guy kept looking at me, I guess from his rear viewmirror he thought he'd smoke another Lexus, and even though I was behind he kept revving his car. Light turns green and he launched hard, my reaction wasn't immediate because I had to let him roll a liitle, then I nailed it (and of course I could get traction right away). He put maybe 2 cars on me but by ~40 mph I started to move faster (guys, we need better tires), by 80 mph I passed him HARD and by 100 mph he was maybe 3 cars length behind. My car definetely feels faster and stronger than ever. Again this might be subjective so I'll post new dyno charts from the same shop next week.

Last night I mentioned that shifting is very smooth, and I confirm it today, I have to double check on the screen that the car actually shifted when I pull the paddles, unbelievable.

I'll keep posting my thoughts.

Wow! i feel as if i was in the car too! juan your a good story teller! lol i almost was there as i read this in my office! MHP wow!
Old 12-23-08, 07:32 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job Juan and MHP, can't wait to hear more and see the results
Old 12-23-08, 07:32 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

In my story against the Porsche I said "of course I could get traction...", I just re-read it and it should be "of course I COULDN'T get traction..."
Old 12-23-08, 07:40 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Andy I replied to your PM.

Thank you,
Old 12-23-08, 08:54 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Thanks Dave, those links solved the issue with my windows.

Juanca,

I recall reading about similar issues when some folks have installed aftermarket HIDs after disconnecting the battery (here is one thread and what he did to resolve it)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-hid-fogs.html

and recalled this one from the 2IS FAQ
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...isconnect.html
Old 12-23-08, 11:36 AM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
Andy,
Is MHP tune only for naturally aspired engines? Anything different if car is driven in high altitude areas?
No the ECU compensates unless you're talking about Denver like altitude. If you're in an unfamiliar (to us) region, we'll often ask you for your elevation just to be sure.

Thanks
Old 12-23-08, 11:42 AM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DRE1615
So Andy I have a question. First of all let me say great job so far.

I'm not sure if this relates, but would it be better to wait to tune if one was planning on purchasing an exhaust and/or intake? Whether it be a JoeZ or a full MHP exhaust with longtubes, could you create a more optimal tune for an ISF with a more free flowing intak/exhaust combo? Or will an intake and exhaust just compliment the stock tune well enough? Again, I'm not sure if these parts actually will respond any differently to an ECU tune.

So is it worth waiting for a SECOND tune that will better optimize the future "aftermarket" or is this the end of the line as far as ISF tuning goes?

Thanks in advance for your attention to my questions.

Originally Posted by DFLORES
well i am starting to come around as i look further i see that a tune is very important, but should i just wait till i mod the cars exhaust and intake then tune or will you have a tune plan where i can come back and pay less to re modify the existing tune?
Originally Posted by MHP
You can go either route, but ultimately what needs to be changed if anything will be determined based on the hard parts being used. For instance if you just added a catback we wouldn't need to change anything. However if you went with our full exhaust (LT to tailpipe) we'd need to tweak A/F. We make these changes (as far as bolt-ons go) for free for existing customers. If you want a seperate tune for nitrous, H/C, etc. please call/PM/email to discuss pricing.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)