IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-08, 12:13 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MHP

Thanks!
i cant stop from thinking about these mods and the tcu/ ecu tune! like its christmas when i was a kid!
Old 12-23-08, 04:14 PM
IS-Fast!
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AWESOME job MHP!!! Big ups go to Juan as well for putting his car up for the test! Can't wait for the dyno results!
Old 12-23-08, 08:59 PM
kponti
Driver

To me this IS a done deal, MHP has shown they can not only "crack" the famed Toyota code, they can rewrite it. Also this does not surprise me since even "burned" ROMs can be updated on most platforms (usually with a whole complete rewrite or should I say "reburn")

Hell if the dyno does not show any significant power increases, I will still praise the product cos it means the potential is there and a few tweaks later, we will see what we all crave...more power! assuming we do not see it already
Old 12-23-08, 09:19 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

I'm excited to see the results! I wonder how much higher the RPM limit has been raised to. In addition, wouldn't harder shifting and NOT smoother shifting be an indication of faster shifting? In addition, it's probably a good thing I couldn't be the guinea pig for this - we've been gettting killed by the snow here in Chicago. I haven't been able to floor the gas pedal in more than 2 weeks actually!!
Old 12-23-08, 11:14 PM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

ok i read most of the post and i saw that you can do the IS
300 now too does that mean you can do the 01-05 GS300 ? like after an NA-T swap ,, to elimante all realerning issues and such
Old 12-23-08, 11:49 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

^^they can do any lexus

Andy prepare to get hounded by every lexus/toyota owner ever.
Old 12-24-08, 12:03 AM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kponti
To me this IS a done deal, MHP has shown they can not only "crack" the famed Toyota code, they can rewrite it. Also this does not surprise me since even "burned" ROMs can be updated on most platforms (usually with a whole complete rewrite or should I say "reburn")

Hell if the dyno does not show any significant power increases, I will still praise the product cos it means the potential is there and a few tweaks later, we will see what we all crave...more power! assuming we do not see it already

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
I'm excited to see the results! I wonder how much higher the RPM limit has been raised to. In addition, wouldn't harder shifting and NOT smoother shifting be an indication of faster shifting? In addition, it's probably a good thing I couldn't be the guinea pig for this - we've been gettting killed by the snow here in Chicago. I haven't been able to floor the gas pedal in more than 2 weeks actually!!
Doc, a few pages back I posted that WOT shifting was the last part of the tune to learn/take. It's usually not done until the 200 mile mark. That being said it's entirely possible the gearbox is already shifting quicker than it was previously. We eliminate or significantly reduce launch/shift tq management (depending on app.) so the timing curve doesn't drop into single digits between WOT shifts then ramp up to it's normal WOT settings a fraction of a second later (part of what causes a jerky WOT shift). Now with that being said, the shifts may firm up a bit in another 150 miles or so. If any of you ever get a chance to ride in a MHP tuned Jeep SRT8 jump on it. For a 4800lb (empty) SUV, it will PIN you to your seat through the first two gears (62mph) and snap your neck on shifts.

Originally Posted by LeXaNoMicS
ok i read most of the post and i saw that you can do the IS
300 now too does that mean you can do the 01-05 GS300 ? like after an NA-T swap ,, to elimante all realerning issues and such
Sorry I'm not sure I'm getting what you're saying. Do you mean a 2JZ swap into a GS300? Yes, we can tune for that. It will be a more custom/involved tune but it's not a problem.

Thanks
Andy
Old 12-24-08, 12:05 AM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ndk83
^^they can do any lexus

Andy prepare to get hounded by every lexus/toyota owner ever.
LOL. We're ready for it. It will be nice to finally see what these motors are capable of. The top ends are definitely pretty sporty.
Old 12-24-08, 06:27 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is my experience regarding a couple of things that I've seen posted:

REV LIMITER: I haven't hit the rev limiter yet, but I can see it's been raised. I've shifted at 7K once, rev limiter was at 6800 rpm before.

SHIFTING: it's very smooth, however you can see the revs moving up and down immediately when pulling the paddle shifters. As I said before it's very hard for me to notice an improvement in shifting time because anything below 0.1 sec it's almost instantaneous. Time slips will tell, but the car definitely shifts smoother. Any IS-F owner that drives hard can feel jerky shifting at WOT, now it's more like a constant pull.

85 miles on the ODO and keep going...
Old 12-24-08, 06:58 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

good news Juan keep us updated, perhaps a dyno soon.
Old 12-24-08, 07:55 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexISguy
good news Juan keep us updated, perhaps a dyno soon.
Cheers, Juan...Keep up the good work. (oh yeah and have a Merry Christmas)

C.
Old 12-24-08, 08:03 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Juanca
Here is my experience regarding a couple of things that I've seen posted:

REV LIMITER: I haven't hit the rev limiter yet, but I can see it's been raised. I've shifted at 7K once, rev limiter was at 6800 rpm before.

SHIFTING: it's very smooth, however you can see the revs moving up and down immediately when pulling the paddle shifters. As I said before it's very hard for me to notice an improvement in shifting time because anything below 0.1 sec it's almost instantaneous. Time slips will tell, but the car definitely shifts smoother. Any IS-F owner that drives hard can feel jerky shifting at WOT, now it's more like a constant pull.

85 miles on the ODO and keep going...
So does the car still beep at 6800RPM but the revs keep building? How are you supposed to find the redline unless you accel until you slam into it?
Old 12-24-08, 11:32 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

is there any way to disable the beep when you have to shift or when you down shift? lol
Old 12-24-08, 11:35 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MHP
No the ECU compensates unless you're talking about Denver like altitude. If you're in an unfamiliar (to us) region, we'll often ask you for your elevation just to be sure.

Thanks
Andy,

Is 4500ft-6000ft to too much for ECU to compensate for? Do you have to set different settings for elevations in that range?
As for far as forced induction will your tune work for it or is it mainly for N/A cars?
Thanks
Old 12-24-08, 03:11 PM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't I read somewhere that we have hypereutectic (spelling?) pistons instead of cast. Not as strong as forged aluminum, but much stronger than cast. I know that we used to used Keith Black Hypereutectic pistons on small block chevy engines for the street instead of forged because of the piston slap on forged when cold.

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)