IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-08, 10:56 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think traction is going to be an issue necessitating a roll. Too bad you both aren't on DRs. Oh well, can't wait to see the results. Thanks again guys!
Old 12-28-08, 06:16 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Juanca and Stash84 if/when you guys do the runs together don't do them from a dead stop or even a low speed roll. We are looking for which car is making the most power so start a run (both in manual/sport mode) from about 40mph (locked in 3rd) and take it all the way to redline for that gear. If room permits maybe try doing the same thing but a 4th gear pull as well starting around 60mph. This should help reduce driver factors and focus more on the cars output. Oh and try and make sure both of you have similar fuel levels.
Old 12-28-08, 09:33 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

ok so now that somebody is actually trying to tune the ecu again, i got into an accident several months ago, and it left my ECU case cracked, just the case, the ECU still worked properly, but since i went thru insurance, and only paid 200 deductable on a 16k job thankgod, they replaced my ECU with a brand spanking new one yay and the best part of all is i went to the body shop and got my old ECU thats still working, just with a cracked case...

my point is, would MHP have any use for a spare 06 is 350 ecu thats in working order? its been laying in my garage for months and i have no use for it... it costs 1400 dollars brand new i believe and i'm hating seeing it going to waste.

would love to be the test but i'm no access to dyno or don't have the skill to do tracks n stuff, i just love cruising in my car, with occasional donuts hah
Old 12-29-08, 07:20 AM
stash84
Rookie

so me and Juanca did a few runs yesterday. Both of us started with a quarter tank and by the time we were done, we were both on E. he has about 7k miles and i have 14k. i did my 15k mile maintenance on friday and my car has been feeling a bit quicker than it did before the oil change.

most of the runs we did were in 3rd gear, rolling at 40 mph. there is definitely a difference. if i got the jump on him, he would always catch up and pass me. it was dead even until about 80/90 mph but he would eventually pull away. we hit about 140 twice and he was a couple car lengths ahead of me each time. i have no doubt that the ecu tune was successful. i cant predict how much more power he has but its definitely there. i cant wait to see the dyno.
Old 12-29-08, 07:29 AM
stash84
Rookie

Talking

Originally Posted by xuningshen
ok so now that somebody is actually trying to tune the ecu again, i got into an accident several months ago, and it left my ECU case cracked, just the case, the ECU still worked properly, but since i went thru insurance, and only paid 200 deductable on a 16k job thankgod, they replaced my ECU with a brand spanking new one yay and the best part of all is i went to the body shop and got my old ECU thats still working, just with a cracked case...

my point is, would MHP have any use for a spare 06 is 350 ecu thats in working order? its been laying in my garage for months and i have no use for it... it costs 1400 dollars brand new i believe and i'm hating seeing it going to waste.

would love to be the test but i'm no access to dyno or don't have the skill to do tracks n stuff, i just love cruising in my car, with occasional donuts hah
yeah..send it to me lol..ill send it to Andy..and ill be the "tester", like Juanca is for the ISF
Old 12-29-08, 08:32 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stash84
yeah..send it to me lol..ill send it to Andy..and ill be the "tester", like Juanca is for the ISF
I believe that the ECU's are coded to each vehicle, so if it's to be used in another, it would have to be recoded (by the dealer) to another vehicle......so use of a particular ECU is limited.

Glad to hear that you and Juan had a little 'tete-a-tete'. Definitely sounds like there's quite a difference in power...

TNX for letting us know.....

C.
Old 12-29-08, 09:58 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

so me and Juanca did a few runs yesterday. Both of us started with a quarter tank and by the time we were done, we were both on E. he has about 7k miles and i have 14k. i did my 15k mile maintenance on friday and my car has been feeling a bit quicker than it did before the oil change.

most of the runs we did were in 3rd gear, rolling at 40 mph. there is definitely a difference. if i got the jump on him, he would always catch up and pass me. it was dead even until about 80/90 mph but he would eventually pull away. we hit about 140 twice and he was a couple car lengths ahead of me each time. i have no doubt that the ecu tune was successful. i cant predict how much more power he has but its definitely there. i cant wait to see the dyno.
I don't even have an ISF and I'm excited. Bring on the IS350 tune!
Old 12-29-08, 10:38 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I've been part of this project I thought it'd be better if stash84 (unbiased) posted the details. BTW, it was nice meeting you Stan. We both had the same settings (manual/sport mode/gas level), even the same IS-F's color! As requested here we did all of our runs on 3rd at 40 mph (not the best speed/gear combination, too low on the rpm). Anyway, we started side-by-side and as the rpm climbed I could see my car walking away from him. As Stan mentioned there was a run where he had the jump and I was about a car length behind, but I recovered and passed him. After the runs I could see his full car on my passenger side mirror.

I called the shop for the dyno session and I have an appointment for today at 5PM. I'll do my best to leave the office early, but I'm not too positive. If I can't make it today I'll try tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Stormforge
awesome! great news indeed! thx stash for your input, much appreciated! i'd love to hear juanca's comments about the runs now - please post!

is it safe to say that this is proof that the ecu tune works?
Old 12-29-08, 10:52 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Great news, Juan. As Dave says, the dyno will tell the whole story but it sure looks promising.
Thanks to you and Stan for going the extra steps....

Colin.
Old 12-29-08, 12:53 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

SWEET! Can't wait to see the dyno graph...it would have been nice to have your cars stock dyno graph and then the ECU graph over-layed so that we could see apples to apples (as much as possible).

Peter
Old 12-29-08, 04:05 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Thanks to both Stash and Juan for putting the time in.
Old 12-29-08, 04:19 PM
stash84
Rookie

Originally Posted by MHP
Thanks to both Stash and Juan for putting the time in.
no problem at all. im glad to be part of this. i know everyone wants to see the dyno graph, so do I. my prediction is that it has about 25 more hp than before. Just a prediction. We will all see the real results when Juan gets a chance to go to the dyno...
Old 12-29-08, 05:26 PM
MHP
Pole Position

no problem at all. im glad to be part of this. i know everyone wants to see the dyno graph, so do I. my prediction is that it has about 25 more hp than before. Just a prediction. We will all see the real results when Juan gets a chance to go to the dyno...
Can't wait to see the dyno results ourselves. We squeezed out whatever safe HP was left in the cal, so it is what it is, so to speak.

Did you have a chance to drive Juan's car to feel the TCU, part throttle, drivability difference?

Thanks
Old 12-29-08, 08:01 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

OK guys, I'm back. I managed to get out of the office early today so I ran to the shop and got my car dynoed!

Before getting into the details, I drove my car HARD for the first 40 miles, then I drove normal, as usual, which is fast but not pushing it too much.

Back to the dyno, weather was hotter than the previous session, but since we're using SAE corrected graphs weather shouldn't matter (except for me because I was sweating like a pig). I did 3 runs, and from the graphs and my conversation with the people at the shop it is confirmed, Andy and MHP did manipulate Lexus' tables. Remember guys that this is the first attempt to tune a Lexus ECU, so there is room for improvement. I've talked to Andy already and we're going to keep working together trying to get better results. Now let's go to the facts:

- I was subjective when talking about the rev limiter, the dyno graph shows that it's at the same spot.
- I can see why I was pulling away from Stan yesterday, the improvement is in the higher rpms.
- Today I dynoed 368whp/350lb-ft, gains are about +17whp/+4lb-ft.
- I'm running richer than before.

I'll have the raw WinPEP files tomorrow, so I'll post better graphs later, for now I'll post what I have, a scan of today's print out.

Old 12-29-08, 08:24 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

congrats juanca! the first time tuned, and you get +17 whp/+4 tq, good news indeed! with more tuning, i'm sure you'll get even better results!

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)