IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 11:08 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MHP
Looks like we may have an IS-F showdown brewing...

A stocker v. a v2 MHP Tuned F at HRP on the 24th.
I hope you guys get some video of those runs....

C.
Old 01-06-09, 11:26 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISFer
I hope you guys get some video of those runs....

C.
That's happening (likely on multiple cameras) as well.
Old 01-07-09, 12:29 AM
kickhard
Pole Position

Andy this is just a thought about the intake Valve opening at 3600rpm. Is there any way for you to tune for that to open up sooner and of course add fuel and timing below that compensate and to get more power under the curve? Looking at the dyno graphs I think we are really missing out on that part of the tuning. The spreadsheet looks like a turbo car with the power coming in very late in the rpm(the last 1000rpm to 1500rpm)

I did read someone rigged it to open in the 2500rpm range but I think without specific tuning to compensate for it you really wont see any gains and could possibly see worse performance

Just a thought

Thanks again

D

Last edited by kickhard; 01-07-09 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-07-09, 03:00 PM
stash84
Rookie

ive been wondering the same thing but i recently read that Lexus didnt leave much unused power down low. Thats why Andy was only able to make it pull harder after 5000 rpms. But lets see what he has to say...
Old 01-07-09, 03:17 PM
MHP
Pole Position

I'd like to see a comparison graph with the valve open the entire time vs closed the entire time. v2 will show more gains in the low/midrange, though still not as much as after 5200rpm--there's just not a ton left below that rpm point. I think we can hit double digit gains there though.

Results coming soon. I can't wait not just for Juan's v2 testing, but also the head to head shootout at HRP on the 24th.
Old 01-07-09, 05:59 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Andy, what I can do is have one of the following dyno pulls with the intake's second stage wide open. I'll make sure that there is plenty of cooling time between pulls, and the last one will be unplugging the intake's vacuum hose from the actuator. Also the pulls will be from down on the RPMs so we can see if there are power differences between factory spec intake against both intake stages open.
Old 01-08-09, 03:36 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading all 44 dam pages.... Geesh!

So whats up with the is350, do you have a TESTER already?

I would like to bump the rpm a bit add some more Top End HP/TQ, more throttle response beyond ETC/Pwr mode, aggressive A/F ratios, and so on ... I would also like to change the gearing logic up a bit, to be more aggressive in down shifting. So when I'm at the track, I can push the lower gears, without having to use the paddles.

Can you adjust the shift logic?
Old 01-08-09, 04:15 AM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Juanca - Drag Radials

Juan,

What size and brand of DR are you running? I also assume you have mounted them on new wheels, what brand wheels have you mounted the DRs on?

Pat
Old 01-08-09, 06:17 AM
anajri
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MHP
That's happening (likely on multiple cameras) as well.

MHP
hey just been keeping up with this post and must say excelent work, and everything look very promising and numbers are looking great.. But I still think that 4000 dollars for 20hp is a little steep. I dont want put a price on youre work but one can get the same results with the exhasut and the intake. Just for a thought, look what happend to the IS350 supercharger it cost about US$ 7,000.00 and only gave you 50hp.. only a hand full of people made the purchase... so well again just a point of view, no harm intended or disrespect to you or you're work.. keep up the good work. hopefully we can have an ISF in the high 11'S SOON..

Best regards
ALfredo
Old 01-08-09, 10:55 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MHP
We'll squeeze out what we can, there's just not as much left over as in the C63 tunes.

edit: Sorry I missed the exhaust question earlier.

If you mean full exhaust as in longtube to tailpipe, you're going to want to send the ECU back in for a quick A/F tweak. A dynosheet with tailpipe A/F meter would also be very helpful. I run dual widebands in all my cars.
Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
What I actually meant is that I have the full cat back 2.5 inch true
dual exhaust with X-pipe by PTS-Joe Z with the OEM manifolds in place. Would I need just the basic ecu/tcu tune? or something more specific?
Just wondering if you had an answer for this MHP?
Old 01-08-09, 01:52 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by anajri
MHP
hey just been keeping up with this post and must say excelent work, and everything look very promising and numbers are looking great.. But I still think that 4000 dollars for 20hp is a little steep. I dont want put a price on youre work but one can get the same results with the exhasut and the intake. Just for a thought, look what happend to the IS350 supercharger it cost about US$ 7,000.00 and only gave you 50hp.. only a hand full of people made the purchase... so well again just a point of view, no harm intended or disrespect to you or you're work.. keep up the good work. hopefully we can have an ISF in the high 11'S SOON..

Best regards
ALfredo
Al,
Thanks.
First, I'd like to see some objective 3rd party before/after testing (like we've done) with the currently available intakes/exhausts on the market. The only data I've seen so far shows a basline pull of 333/327rw SAE which is 20rw lower than our stocker tested in Miami heat.
Second, intakes/exhaust don't deliver further driveline refinement, or the change the overall dynamic of the car, like our tuning does.
Third, I'll put our v2 tune (we'll get more out of midrange and should be able to attain 28rw gains at peak) against an intake/exhaust IS-F anytime. If anyone wants to run a tune only IS-F at HRP on the 24th with an intake/exhaust come out to the race.
Last, we don't price our tuning predominately on the gains we net (though it's a factor, it's not a huge one, some Ferrari' cals are only worth 15hp but cost $15k). We base them on how long it takes us to build and flash the cals, and they're all custom.
I'm sure you don't work for free, well, we don't either.
Even if we hit 30rw gains at peak, there will still be some that say it costs too much or it isn't worth it, those are the same people that don't have or won't have the tuning. Decide for yourself.
Old 01-08-09, 01:53 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
Just wondering if you had an answer for this MHP?
Catbacks don't effect the tune. If you had headers then yes it would require a tweak but you'll be good to go with a v2 cal.
Old 01-08-09, 01:55 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you have email/PM...

Thanks!
Old 01-08-09, 01:56 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by t0e
After reading all 44 dam pages.... Geesh!

So whats up with the is350, do you have a TESTER already?

I would like to bump the rpm a bit add some more Top End HP/TQ, more throttle response beyond ETC/Pwr mode, aggressive A/F ratios, and so on ... I would also like to change the gearing logic up a bit, to be more aggressive in down shifting. So when I'm at the track, I can push the lower gears, without having to use the paddles.

Can you adjust the shift logic?
Yes, we're waiting on HKS to send his controllers in. If you want less resistant downshifting yes we can deliver that via TCU tuning.

Thanks
Andy
Old 01-08-09, 02:44 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MHP
Yes, we're waiting on HKS to send his controllers in. If you want less resistant downshifting yes we can deliver that via TCU tuning.

Thanks
Andy
when are you starting the full exhaust systems?

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)