IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09 | 07:16 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Pat,

I don't have DRs. All testing was done stock. My intention is to give a clear view of the gains that we can get from a tune, especially now that it's the first time someone is actually tuning our ECUs. I tried not to do anything special for getting better times, I tried to run my car the same way as I drive it everyday, that means I didn't lower the tire pressure, didn't remove the spare tire, etc. Once all testing is done and Andy start taking orders, I'll move to DRs, do some weight reduction, etc. so I can see what this car is capable of.

JUAN

Originally Posted by FPR1939
Juan,

What size and brand of DR are you running? I also assume you have mounted them on new wheels, what brand wheels have you mounted the DRs on?

Pat
Old 01-08-09 | 07:23 PM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Juan,

After I entered that message I remembered that it was Caymandiver running the drag radials.

Pat
Old 01-09-09 | 04:55 AM
anajri
Driver

Originally Posted by MHP
Al,
Thanks.
First, I'd like to see some objective 3rd party before/after testing (like we've done) with the currently available intakes/exhausts on the market. The only data I've seen so far shows a basline pull of 333/327rw SAE which is 20rw lower than our stocker tested in Miami heat.
Second, intakes/exhaust don't deliver further driveline refinement, or the change the overall dynamic of the car, like our tuning does.
Third, I'll put our v2 tune (we'll get more out of midrange and should be able to attain 28rw gains at peak) against an intake/exhaust IS-F anytime. If anyone wants to run a tune only IS-F at HRP on the 24th with an intake/exhaust come out to the race.
Last, we don't price our tuning predominately on the gains we net (though it's a factor, it's not a huge one, some Ferrari' cals are only worth 15hp but cost $15k). We base them on how long it takes us to build and flash the cals, and they're all custom.
I'm sure you don't work for free, well, we don't either.
Even if we hit 30rw gains at peak, there will still be some that say it costs too much or it isn't worth it, those are the same people that don't have or won't have the tuning. Decide for yourself.

Thanks Andy
good luck with the v2..... thanks for youre reply
Old 01-10-09 | 03:13 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Andy, do you have anyone volunteering with an IS 250 AWD?
Old 01-10-09 | 11:31 AM
CrazyTrain
Pole Position

Sorry, but my eyes are about to pop out from reading all of these pages. Does engaging Sport Mode and Turning VSC Off impact anything with the tuned ECU/TCU? Or are we only trying to get a baseline with Normal Mode and VSC On? Tuning is new to me so thanks for being patient.
Old 01-10-09 | 12:03 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nabbun
Andy, do you have anyone volunteering with an IS 250 AWD?
We have an IS250 tester (not AWD), that is correct. Though the first examples of other models (aside from the IS-F, since it was the first Lexus/Toyota we've done) are not free.

Originally Posted by CrazyTrain
Sorry, but my eyes are about to pop out from reading all of these pages. Does engaging Sport Mode and Turning VSC Off impact anything with the tuned ECU/TCU? Or are we only trying to get a baseline with Normal Mode and VSC On? Tuning is new to me so thanks for being patient.
On the dyno there shouldn't be any difference. At the track I'm sure one would gain from running in sport with vsc off. The car still feels like a Lexus at WOT and part throttle as I'm sure Juan will tell you, just better.
Old 01-10-09 | 03:08 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MHP
Yes, we're waiting on HKS to send his controllers in. If you want less resistant downshifting yes we can deliver that via TCU tuning.

Thanks
Andy
Yep, And I'm waiting on a local track to open up. Looking like sometime in Feb. earliy March. No need to send it off and just sit on the tune. I want to be able to dyno and track test all with'n a few days of each other to get some true data.
If anyone wants or can do this before me I'll step aside and watch. Let me know.
Old 01-11-09 | 11:20 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Arrow

Originally Posted by HKS350
Yep, And I'm waiting on a local track to open up. Looking like sometime in Feb. earliy March. No need to send it off and just sit on the tune. I want to be able to dyno and track test all with'n a few days of each other to get some true data.
If anyone wants or can do this before me I'll step aside and watch. Let me know.
just make sure you don't press the NOZZ button when you do your testing

Last edited by t0e; 01-11-09 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-13-09 | 08:37 PM
MHP
Pole Position

We received Juan's controllers today, v2 dyno/track results should be coming in the next 1.5-2 weeks.
Old 01-13-09 | 10:47 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MHP
We received Juan's controllers today, v2 dyno/track results should be coming in the next 1.5-2 weeks.
Good news, Andy.....we've got our fingers crossed.....

C.
Old 01-14-09 | 06:58 AM
cssnms
Racer

That's a relief, I was starting to think Juan was getting cold feet after Andy's computer skills comment!
Old 01-18-09 | 08:34 PM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Default Tundra ECM

Group:

My son's 2007 Tundra is MHP's test unit like Juan's is for the ISF. We received the ECM/TCU back Friday afternoon. Of course, I had to install it immediately.

My son (driving), grandson, and I then went for a drive. The most striking change is how the transmission shifts. Mike and Trevor are overjoyed with it after the v1 tune. We will be having it dyno'd later this week to determine how much of a rwhp increase. Then (weather permitting) we will run it at HRP on Saturday.

We will post results as they become available.

Pat
Old 01-18-09 | 09:00 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Oh *****, that Tundra's gonna rock! I've been on the Tundra forums since the new Tundras have been out and they're pretty much running 14.0 RCSB or so. I wonder if you'll run 13s now? Imagine the supercharger and then ECM/TCU tune! If they could get into the 12's, I might just trade in my IS-F for a DCSB 5.7 with factory supercharger!
Old 01-18-09 | 09:09 PM
MHP
Pole Position

The 5.7 Tundras should rock with just tuning. The TRD blown ones are going to shock the **** out of people (esp with 4x4 from a light) on the road.
Old 01-19-09 | 02:47 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Nice to know things are still rolling along here.......

FPR: Can't wait to hear about son's Tundra results....tnx for letting us know.

Andy, any word from Juan lately?

Colin.

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)