IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 04:20 PM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fundra Dyno Results

Below is a post I just made to TundraSolution Forum.

I know that many of you are following the tuning of Mike's Tundra so I thought I would post the results here.

During the dyno run today we only saw a 6 rwhp and 7 rwtq over the inital baseline.

Pat

"I agree with what Andy has said about the drivability of the truck on 87 octane gas. When I called Mike about the results of the dyno he said that he had never heard is "ping" since it was tuned. I ran it quite hard today (kicked it up to 110 on the beltway on the way to work - WOT) and there was never a moment of hesitation or anyother indication that the ECM was pulling timing (which it obviously was) to keep out of detonation.

Andy and I decided initially to run the baseline dyno in third gear because we knew we would hit the speed limiter in 4th before we hit the rev limiter. In third we could go all the way to the rev limiter.

I had originally planned to do only three runs today when I went to the dyno, but after the first three runs in third gear I paid to have a 4th run in fourth gear (knowing full well we would hit the speed limiter).

Actual results in 4th (up to speed limiter cutoff of about 5200 rpm @ 112 mph) were stronger than in third. @ 5200 in 4th gear the output was about 336 rwhp and climbing. The torque @ 5200 was 354 rwtq. These compare with about 315 rwhp and 320 rwtq at 5200 in third gear.

I don't even pretend to know why there is a difference between 3rd gear and 4th gear, but I plan to learn.

Friday we are scheduled to rerun the dyno after we have burned off the 87 octane gasoline in the truck and have filled it with 93 octane. This will give us a direct comparison of the HP difference filling up with 93 octane will give us.

I think agree that Toyota did a good job of maximizing HP of this engine with 87 octane gasoline. Now (in retrospect) I wish we had run the "before tune" runs with both 87 octane and 93 octane. We didn't do that because I did not (and still don't) believe we would have seen much, if any, difference between the two runs pre-tuned.

As Andy said, we will continue to publish data as we obtain it (all the information both favorable and unfavorable). As I said before, I am an engineer and you know how engineers love data, both good and bad."
Old 01-21-09, 08:38 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Nice I cant wait to see all these results on the different models. I wish we had some nice warm weather so I can do this now
Old 01-22-09, 10:24 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Juan will have his v2 ECU/TCU later today (Friday).
Old 01-23-09, 02:23 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ Nice I cant wait to see all these results on the different models. I wish we had some nice warm weather so I can do this now
+1 on the weather, passnu.....It's already been a long hard winter

Originally Posted by MHP
Thanks for the headsup, Andy.....I'm sure Juan will be happy too...

Colin.
Old 01-23-09, 07:20 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MHP
GREAT! Now is he to follow the same protocol as last time - drive around like a bat out of h-e-l-l for 200 mi?
Old 01-23-09, 11:23 AM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cssnms
GREAT! Now is he to follow the same protocol as last time - drive around like a bat out of h-e-l-l for 200 mi?

Yes sir!
Old 01-23-09, 11:32 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

YES!!! I just got a UPS box with the modules, I'll take the rest of the day off and install them. I have to drive to West Palm Beach tonight for a concert so by the time I come back late today I'll have the 200 miles already!!! I'll see if I can get a dyno session tomorrow, if not then I'll try Monday afternoon. I'll post results soon.
Old 01-23-09, 11:43 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Juanca
YES!!! I just got a UPS box with the modules, I'll take the rest of the day off and install them. I have to drive to West Palm Beach tonight for a concert so by the time I come back late today I'll have the 200 miles already!!! I'll see if I can get a dyno session tomorrow, if not then I'll try Monday afternoon. I'll post results soon.
Juan gets all the fun......

J/K bro....have a good one at the concert.........and making that appointment tomorrow.....

Colin.
Old 01-23-09, 09:52 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Based on the text I got from Juan ~1hr ago, I'd say we did well with v2.
Old 01-24-09, 01:36 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Oh yeah baby......Juan, let's hear about it.....

C.
Old 01-24-09, 02:47 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Juanca
Ummm....really....Monday? Are you freakin' kiddin us?

j/k....congrats again on having the first IS F to have the second tune...blah, blah, blah....

You never mind my bitterness for you getting to do this.
Old 01-24-09, 06:33 AM
anajri
Driver

Originally Posted by MHP
Based on the text I got from Juan ~1hr ago, I'd say we did well with v2.

Ok that has to be very good news... Hey MHP, is the V2 a different Price or tha same price for the better tune V2?

thanks again for all youre work
Old 01-24-09, 11:41 AM
MHP
Pole Position

Same price.

Thanks
Old 01-24-09, 11:48 AM
MHP
Pole Position

FWIW, also when we release a v2, anyone that previously purchased v1 tuning gets a free bump to v2.

Thanks
Old 01-24-09, 09:27 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, v2 was installed yesterday night and I drove to West Palm Beach right away. The round trip was less than 200 miles, by Monday night I should be ready for a new dyno session.

Most of the miles have been on the highway, so it was a good place to drive hard and see the improvements. We all know how fast the IS-F is on the HWY, but I can feel it even faster now. I don't want to sound biased, I'd rather wait for the dyno numbers, but I think my impression is also important. On my way to WPB I felt the car pulling so hard that I was looking for a Lambo or something similar to race. This morning when driving back to Miami I found a TransAm WS6, we did a couple of runs from 70 to ~120 mph and as soon as we hit it I was gone. I know it's not as fast as the IS-F, but it's not slow either, besides I couldn't find any other car to race. Basically I feel the car strong through the whole RPM band. I'm sure there is an improvement over v1, the dyno graph will tell how much. On the TCU side it's hard to notice any difference while in manual mode, but I can see it now in auto mode. How many of you guys hate the car when trying to downshift and the IS-F doesn't do it, it prefers to stay on higher gears? Well, now any variation of gas pedal will downshift as needed, no need to go all the way to the kickswitch anymore.

I tried the rev-limiter on 2nd gear and it went up to 7K, again the dyno graph will tell the truth.

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)