IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-08, 11:19 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by yayitscola
I wonder if they could tune a is350
That would be fantastic!!!!!
Old 11-26-08, 12:26 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys, we don't allow any 'gathering interest' or group buy threads until MHP is a forum sponsor. Let's keep the discussion on the potential modification options and finding a volunteer. We typically don't allow the vendor to post in situations like this (I'll make the post for a potential vendor building a product) but MHP is a sponsor on other Internet Brands forums and has been very cautious with his approach and is committed to working within our advertising rules (thanks).

Andy, members will want to know what your assumptions are for location (OH?), how long you'll need their car, any risks you think they should be aware of and best-guess timeframe to start.
Thank you for the leeway Dave, it's much appreciated by us as well as I'm sure most of the interested membership. I've dispatched an email to our brand rep at IBs to get me sponsor pricing in the meantime.

As for location it's irrelevant, we do 90% of our tuning remotely. We would need your ECU/TCU for 5-7 days (FedEx, UPS) and then overnight ship the controller back to the owner. Please include a full modification list in the package, including anything done to the car driveline wise, elevation, and octane of fuel used (hopefully 93 octane).

Upon receipt of the tuned ECU/TCU we ask that the owner puts at least 200 miles on the controllers before doing any kind of testing (dyno/track/racing, etc). The first 30-40 miles should be HARD and aggressive in manual mode to get the controllers to learn as quickly as possible.

I will give more specifics and answer any and all questions once we find a tester.

Thanks!
Andy
Old 11-26-08, 12:29 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Just FYI, we claim 50-60hp (crank) for our C63 tunes but regularly make 65-68rwhp over stock, 30rwtq gains as well. My 20rw estimate was/is conservative to say the least. We never want to disappoint by overrating anything. Of course this doesn't take into account the TCU modifications that are worth the price of admission alone. Sadly the TCU gains don't really show on the dyno, you have to drive the car in question (if only for a minute) to realize what we can do.

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-29-08 at 01:27 PM. Reason: removed deleted quoted post
Old 11-26-08, 12:30 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Members, it's up to you to select the objective tester. Take a poll, vote, whatever you want. It's your call.

Thanks
Andy
Old 11-26-08, 12:31 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yayitscola
I wonder if they could tune a is350
Once the proper check sum software is built (as it will be for an IS-F) that's not a problem.
Old 11-26-08, 01:41 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

Well.. once again.. ill be in ohio in march .. if nothing happens till then....
Old 11-26-08, 02:26 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will anyone in the midwest region step up and make this happen? Give Andy and MHP a shot.....
Old 11-26-08, 02:51 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Honestly we don't care if you live in Hawaii, the Ukraine, etc. As long as the member is respected and trusted by the rest of the membership we're game.

Can we start by posting a list of possible candidates?

Thanks
Old 11-26-08, 05:46 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

A free tune is going to be your baseline for futher and future tunes. Other tuners do it ??

Sorry to insult you

Originally Posted by MHP
Not really, it's really up to the members on this site whether there's a viable market for custom ECU/TCU tuning or not. I've layed the cards out, the situation is what it is.
Cutting a free tune is rather insulting actually. I wouldn't ask anyone to work for 2-3 days for free (again taking into account the fact they already have plenty of work from paying customers) to prove anything to me if they offered a 100% $ back guarantee on their products/services.
Old 11-26-08, 05:54 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

I dont live in the Ohio area but my car is garaged and would be available. I live in Northern Alabama. So I officially throw myself in the mix. I can arrange a stock dyno and then a follow up dyno on the same dyno machince when the ecu returns.
Old 11-26-08, 07:30 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kickhard
I dont live in the Ohio area but my car is garaged and would be available. I live in Northern Alabama. So I officially throw myself in the mix. I can arrange a stock dyno and then a follow up dyno on the same dyno machince when the ecu returns.
Do you have access to a drag strip as well?

Question for the membership (no offense kickhard but I don't know you from Adam), would you accept kickhard's objective testing/results?

Thanks

Andy
Old 11-26-08, 07:41 PM
MHP
Pole Position

We net 50whp (conservatively) with a ECU/TCU tune for GT-Rs.
Old 11-26-08, 07:57 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

I volunteer myself for the tune! I don't have any modifications besides rims. I run at the drag strip and my times are pretty consistent. Typically 12.6@112 @STP. 12.4-12.5 when the DA drops to a little. I've run down the strip about 50-60 times this year and my 60' times are pretty consistent - especially now with the drag radials.

Only problem will be that I won't be able to go drag racing again until the spring when the tracks open again so you guys will have to bite your nails for the whole winter and early spring until I can go drag racing again.

So far, we have:

1: Kickhard
2: ToothDoc (myself)

any other volunteers?
Old 11-27-08, 07:30 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Nice move guys I am eager to see the final results.
Old 11-27-08, 11:01 AM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexISguy
Nice move guys I am eager to see the final results.
Hi,

I noticed in your sig you have a race ecu listed. Can you tell me more about it and what the claimed or proven gains are?

Thanks
Andy

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)