IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-08, 11:24 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Andy the ECU is with my Intake it adjusts the A/F ratios thus creating more power. The company claims are 20+whp, but there more like 15whp or so... I got my intake from swift racing technologies.
Old 11-27-08, 11:43 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Since naysayers called MHP out and don't want to be the guinea pig, it would only make sense that a reputable member on CL be selected for this process. Someone like JeffTsai or other members who are respected for what they have contributed to CL. No disrepect intended for Kickhard and ToothDoc, I'm sure you're good guys. Problem is that because of your low post count, you are not well known and it will be difficult to vouch for your objectivity (good or bad) with regards to this mod. Again, not bashing you, just trying to be objective here. If you know someone reputable on CL who can vouch for you, that's a different story...

Come on guys, MHP is giving you IS-F boys and girls a free tune at no cost to you, only 2 weeks of inconvenience. You can't get a better deal than that. IF I had an IS-F, I'd rip my ECU out and ship the damn thing to MHP by courier by now!
Old 11-27-08, 02:19 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

In line:

1: Kickhard
2: ToothDoc (myself)
3: timeToy

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-29-08 at 01:19 PM. Reason: inappropriate comment removed
Old 11-27-08, 03:30 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

In line:

4: Dave600hL (Residing in Japan)

I don't know if you can tune a car that you don't have, but if it means sending it to the US I am out.
Old 11-27-08, 03:44 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexISguy
Hey Andy the ECU is with my Intake it adjusts the A/F ratios thus creating more power. The company claims are 20+whp, but there more like 15whp or so... I got my intake from swift racing technologies.
Thanks for the explanation!
Old 11-27-08, 03:46 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
In line:

4: Dave600hL (Residing in Japan)

I don't know if you can tune a car that you don't have, but if it means sending it to the US I am out.
We have clients on every continent save antarctica.
Old 11-27-08, 04:31 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

No offense taken. I simply put myself on the list as a volunteer. If I see somebody else who is more "respected", I have no issues whatsoever about giving that person the chance to get the tune. In addition, my vehicle is a leased vehicle which means no mods - but if I were to actually get a tune, I'd end up purchasing it at lease end. At least if I don't win this opportunity, I won't bind myself to having to buy at lease end.

One thing I really would like to see is that the person who ends up getting the tune to do a before and after tune dyno. But more importantly, I'd like to see actual drag strip runs before and after. With Caymandive's spreadsheet, we have a pretty good baseline already - 12.7@112 @STP (approx) with NO mods.
Old 11-27-08, 06:18 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

MHP, I'm curious as to how you plan on doing a custom tune without having the car to test the ECU/TCU adjustments on.
Old 11-27-08, 07:19 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caymandive
MHP, I'm curious as to how you plan on doing a custom tune without having the car to test the ECU/TCU adjustments on.
We have directly on file or have access to every vehicles base calibration, we access it then comb over the files and tweak accordingly. We already know what we want the changes to end up as, the hard part is finding the correct code and changing it as such.
What most people don't realize is that code is code, it's all 1s and 0s, regardless of make or model.
Old 11-28-08, 12:18 AM
is-eF
Driver

I wish I could play, but I'm new here and if posts is a criteria I'm out.
Not to mention the only track in Honolulu has been shut down now for the past 2 years.
As a former BMW enthusiast, I was wondering when someone would do a Toyota ECU mod. I know it may have never happened, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
So since I'm out of this pick me pick me list I'll just do the normal wait and see, but if push comes to shove and no one can do, let me know.
Old 11-28-08, 10:36 AM
MHP
Pole Position

We need to find an objective tester or else this is all a waste.

I'd like to have at least 5 to choose from, it seems we have 3 so far.

Please gentlemen, let's maintain focus on the task at hand as it will benefit us all.

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-29-08 at 01:25 PM. Reason: removed quoted post
Old 11-28-08, 11:03 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MHP
While I'm not in any way encouraging the digression, we need to find an objective tester or else this is all a waste.

I'd like to have at least 5 to choose from, it seems we have 3 so far.

Please gentlemen, let's maintain focus on the task at hand as it will benefit us all.

Thanks
Andy
Andy,

My apologies for some of the off topic discussions that have occurred. All I have been trying to get across is that this shouldn't be a popularity contest, and ultimately that as long as you are comfortable with the candidate and can verify the results we should all be satisfied. I wish I could throw my hat in the ring, but I don't meet your criteria. I hope that you can find someone to prove your success.
Old 11-28-08, 11:35 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Yeah, good idea. Let's stay on topic and come up with a list b4 MHP gets thoroughly disappointed in this whole thing and goes elsewhere.....

I'm in the same boat as you, CDNROCKIES, otherwise I'd be on the list in a heartbeat.
I don't understand the hesitation in general now that it's costing nothing.

Colin.
Old 11-28-08, 11:49 AM
MHP
Pole Position

Guys thanks for the comments and no hard feelings. FYI we just broke the BMW M6 World Record by over .3 of a second today. 11.87@119.45 with our ECU/TCU tuning Xpipe, catback, filters. The best part is it was his first time to the drag strip and the car was hotlapped 4 passes in a row!
The previous dragtimes record holder had cams, filters, ECU, 3.91 diff, headers/X/Catback.
Old 11-28-08, 11:00 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Ok, we'll run with what we've got. As long as everyone is comfortable with the decision, I'll narrow it down to Toothdoc (Based on his extensive drag racing experience) and the gentleman from Alabama who volunteered first. Between the two of you, who can get both before/after dyno and track results?

Thanks
Andy

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)