IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-08, 07:04 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to mention that I have been spending a fair amount of time on mbworld.org lately...and I have to say that they have a lot of good things to say about MHP. As I am one who raised a lot of questions about Andy and his capabilities...I want to acknowlegde that they have done some very impressive work.

I am still eagerly anticipating seeing if he can get it done or not with the F.
Old 12-02-08, 08:09 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Andy,

Is an ECU/TCU tune detecable by the dealership? For example, if I were to take my car in for a regular scheduled maintenance, is there any way they could possibly find out about the tune, and then claim it has damaged the car and void the warranty so on and so forth. I'm not the most tech savy when it comes to ECU's and TCU's. Not even completely sure what the difference is between the two. Somebody please take me to school I guess.

Thanks in advance guys/gals.
Old 12-02-08, 09:08 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I just wanted to mention that I have been spending a fair amount of time on mbworld.org lately...and I have to say that they have a lot of good things to say about MHP. As I am one who raised a lot of questions about Andy and his capabilities...I want to acknowlegde that they have done some very impressive work.

I am still eagerly anticipating seeing if he can get it done or not with the F.
Thanks! We work very hard at what we do and appreciate it!

Originally Posted by DRE1615
Hey Andy,

Is an ECU/TCU tune detecable by the dealership? For example, if I were to take my car in for a regular scheduled maintenance, is there any way they could possibly find out about the tune, and then claim it has damaged the car and void the warranty so on and so forth. I'm not the most tech savy when it comes to ECU's and TCU's. Not even completely sure what the difference is between the two. Somebody please take me to school I guess.

Thanks in advance guys/gals.
No, your dealer won't be able to see the changes we make to the coding. Tell them not to flash over (update) your cals though.

ECU= Engine Control Unit

TCU=Transmission Control Unit

ECU+TCU= Complete Driveline Tuning
Old 12-02-08, 09:22 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andy,

Same question as DRE1615, will the dealer notice the ECU reprogramming? Actually I have more questions, what about testing the ECU? If I'm chosen to help you with this upgrade, are you sure that my car will fire up once the ECU is back? How do you know the parameters that you'll program into the ECU if you don't have access to the car to test? From the stock dyno sheet? As a car enthusiast I'm exited about being close to see a Lexus ECU tuned for the first time, but at the same time as the car owner I'm a little bit worried. Anyway, I PM'ed you my info.

About the TCU, I read some time ago that during and interview one of the IS-F engineers mentioned that the transmission was faster before final production, but in order to comply with Lexus' standards they had to make it slower (downgrade the TCU) so the shifting was smoother. There is definitely room for improvement.

Regards,

JUANCA
Old 12-02-08, 10:03 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Juanca
Andy,

Same question as DRE1615, will the dealer notice the ECU reprogramming? Actually I have more questions, what about testing the ECU? If I'm chosen to help you with this upgrade, are you sure that my car will fire up once the ECU is back? How do you know the parameters that you'll program into the ECU if you don't have access to the car to test? From the stock dyno sheet? As a car enthusiast I'm exited about being close to see a Lexus ECU tuned for the first time, but at the same time as the car owner I'm a little bit worried. Anyway, I PM'ed you my info.
No, your dealer doesn't have the ability to see that far into the code to notice our changes. Yes, if we screw your ECU/TCU up we'll replace it free of charge of course. Though that's not going to happen.
We have every cars base calibration on file, very potent in house software, and a combined 35 years of tuning experience. Search the net for a bad review of our tuning and I guarantee you won't find one. Trust me when I say this single (well actually two part) mod will absolutely transform your car. That is not in the slightest bit an exaggeration.

About the TCU, I read some time ago that during and interview one of the IS-F engineers mentioned that the transmission was faster before final production, but in order to comply with Lexus' standards they had to make it slower (downgrade the TCU) so the shifting was smoother. There is definitely room for improvement.

Regards,

JUANCA
Yes there is. We've already been building a file for the IS-F tester. We should be able to quicken the WOT shifts by at least 30 if not 40%. Part throttle will still be buttery smooth though, no worries.

Thanks
Andy

Members, does anyone object to Jaunca as the tester?

If not, we're ready for your ECU/TCU and a week (plus shipping time) away from results.

Juanca,
Before shipping us your ECU/TCU please get baseline dynos (1:1 gearing) from a Dyno Jet using SAE correction and smoothing set at 5 (to eliminate artificially created spikes/peaks). If possible please have the shop email the raw WinPep file to andrew@modernhorsepower.com as well.
I think you already have enough track results?

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by MHP; 12-02-08 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-02-08, 10:07 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

this is exciting lol...if this works out maybe you can open the market for IS250/350
Old 12-02-08, 10:11 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iskcon
this is exciting lol...if this works out maybe you can open the market for IS250/350
All Lexi will be game, as will most Toyotas. Not quite sure on the hybrids yet, we're looking into it presently.
Old 12-02-08, 10:26 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MHP

Members, does anyone object to Jaunca as the tester?

If not, we're ready for your ECU/TCU and a week (plus shipping time) away from results.

Juanca,
Before shipping us your ECU/TCU please get baseline dynos (1:1 gearing) from a Dyno Jet using SAE correction and smoothing set at 5 (to eliminate artificially created spikes/peaks). If possible please have the shop email the raw WinPep file to andrew@modernhorsepower.com as well.
I think you already have enough track results?

Thanks
Andy
Only cause you asked....as long as the Dyno and track numbers are verifiable...let's get at 'er!

Good luck with the test!
Old 12-02-08, 10:29 PM
MHP
Pole Position

We're definitely excited.

OT, but does anyone know of a member with a white IS-F in central OH? I had a dream I ran one on 270 near the 670 airport split a few weeks back.
Old 12-02-08, 11:01 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by MHP
I know we can tune Toyota/Lexus presently.
Just curious, but what Lexus or Toyota ECU have you guys tuned and worked on to date? You guys have a very nice website but it doesn't mention any Toyota or Lexus work of sorts. All your references are only forum based with no citations or sources to cite. Your forum registration on the other forums i've looked through are very new and you have no physical listed address or contact information listed on your website or domain registration. Why?
Old 12-02-08, 11:01 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MHP
Dave,
Location is not an issue whatsoever. At this point however I'm still leaning towards the gentleman from Miami due to his access of both a track and dyno.

Thanks
Andy
I can get to a dyno and a track, that is no problem.(I thought that was the pre-requisit) Could be good to see what the F does on 100 octane.
Old 12-02-08, 11:29 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
Just curious, but what Lexus or Toyota ECU have you guys tuned and worked on to date? You guys have a very nice website but it doesn't mention any Toyota or Lexus work of sorts. All your references are only forum based with no citations or sources to cite. Your forum registration on the other forums i've looked through are very new and you have no physical listed address or contact information listed on your website or domain registration. Why?
LOL, actually our website is pathetic and is being completely redesigned, on schedule for mid Jan. The new one will match the quality of our products, it's really nice.
We haven't done any to date, but we finished the check sum software yesterday and are ready to tune a IS-F ECU/TCU today. I'll post a full list of tunable Toyota/Lexus models after we become paying sponsors.
We've tuned Bentleys, Rolls, Rovers, Porsches, BMWs (even encryped 09s), MBs, Ferraris, Lambos, Bugatti's (yes Veyrons), Astons, Jags, Audis, VWs, Minis, Smarts, GT-Rs, ChryCos (even encrypted 09s), GT500s, Ford GTs, Z06s, ZR1s, Vipers, etc. etc. etc.
The software we built in house can read and manipulate anything. This isn't a "I think we can" project, we already know we can tune them and do it without throwing a CEL.

As for credentials again we have over 35 years of combined tuning experience, pushrod, OHC 2v/3v/4v/5v, N/A, nitrous, superchargers (centrifugal, positive displacement (TVS, roots, Twin Screw), turbo(s), 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 cylinder engines.

To date this year we've custom tuned over 400 vehicles including:

Quickest/Fastest Jeep SRT8 N/A and power adder.

Quickest/Fastest 63 AMG (Overall/Power Adder)

Quickest/Fastest 63 AMG Naturally Aspirated

Quickest/Fastest E63 AMG

Quickest/Fastest C63 AMG

Quickest/Fastest CLK 63 Black Series AMG

Quickest/Fastest N/A BMW M6

Paul Newman's GT Cup Porsches.

Jay Leno's W12 Bentley.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that we have a lot of experience, code is just 1s and 0s, and we're confident in our abilities.

We have two shops, one in Warren, MI and one in Columbus, OH with satelite fabrication shops in Chagrin Falls, OH and Edgewood, MD.

We flash out of the Warren, MI and Columbus, OH locations only.

My lead tuner is Dave Kasper and is in my experience the absolute best total driveline tuner I've ever met.

Same goes for my head engine builder Al Papitto. Creator of our 600rwhp N/A Ford 5.4/4v (steel rods and a stock 4.165" stroke spinning to 8700rpm), 440rwhp NMRA Pure Street 4.6/4vs (10k rpm with steel rods), 390rw NMRA Factory Stock 4.6/4vs, NHRA Prostock bike ($50k a pop) 1.5L SOHC/2Vs making 233hp/L N/A with ~12:1 static C/R spinning to 13,500rpm, Cosworth DFX F1 V8s, Mike Bell's 3500HP NHRA blown alcohol Hemi, Joe's 1700rwhp Stage 6 TT Ford GT, countless 1000hp turbo Modulars, etc etc.

Google MHP Tuning, Andy's Tune, etc and see what you come up with.

Otherwise, I'm not sure there's anything wrong to being new to a certain market.

Thanks
Andy
Old 12-02-08, 11:31 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I can get to a dyno and a track, that is no problem.(I thought that was the pre-requisit) Could be good to see what the F does on 100 octane.
Where in Japan are you? I was last there 2 years ago (Tokyo, Kyosho). Do you have 1/4 mile tracks?
Are you sure it's true 100 octane, not like the Euro/Aussie 98?

We always gain power using 100 octane on a 93 tune. Do you mean a specific 100 octane tune? If so and you're positive about the gas send me a PM.

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by MHP; 12-02-08 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 12:43 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by MHP
LOL, actually our website is pathetic and is being completely redesigned, on schedule for mid Jan. The new one will match the quality of our products, it's really nice.
That would be interesting to see that. Can't wait!

We haven't done any to date, but we finished the check sum software yesterday and are ready to tune a IS-F ECU/TCU today. I'll post a full list of tunable Toyota/Lexus models after we become paying sponsors.
We've tuned Bentleys, Rolls, Rovers, Porsches, BMWs (even encryped 09s), MBs, Ferraris, Lambos, Bugatti's (yes Veyrons), Astons, Jags, Audis, VWs, Minis, Smarts, GT-Rs, ChryCos (even encrypted 09s), GT500s, Ford GTs, Z06s, ZR1s, Vipers, etc. etc. etc.

The software we built in house can read and manipulate anything. This isn't a "I think we can" project, we already know we can tune them and do it without throwing a CEL.

As for credentials again we have over 35 years of combined tuning experience, pushrod, OHC 2v/3v/4v/5v, N/A, nitrous, superchargers (centrifugal, positive displacement (TVS, roots, Twin Screw), turbo(s), 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 cylinder engines.

To date this year we've custom tuned over 400 vehicles including:

Quickest/Fastest Jeep SRT8 N/A and power adder.

Quickest/Fastest 63 AMG (Overall/Power Adder)

Quickest/Fastest 63 AMG Naturally Aspirated

Quickest/Fastest E63 AMG

Quickest/Fastest C63 AMG

Quickest/Fastest CLK 63 Black Series AMG

Quickest/Fastest N/A BMW M6

Paul Newman's GT Cup Porsches.

Jay Leno's W12 Bentley.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that we have a lot of experience, code is just 1s and 0s, and we're confident in our abilities.

We have two shops, one in Warren, MI and one in Columbus, OH with satelite fabrication shops in Chagrin Falls, OH and Edgewood, MD.

We flash out of the Warren, MI and Columbus, OH locations only.

My lead tuner is Dave Kasper and is in my experience the absolute best total driveline tuner I've ever met.

Same goes for my head engine builder Al Papitto. Creator of our 600rwhp N/A Ford 5.4/4v (steel rods and a stock 4.165" stroke spinning to 8700rpm), 440rwhp NMRA Pure Street 4.6/4vs (10k rpm with steel rods), 390rw NMRA Factory Stock 4.6/4vs, NHRA Prostock bike ($50k a pop) 1.5L SOHC/2Vs making 233hp/L N/A with ~12:1 static C/R spinning to 13,500rpm, Cosworth DFX F1 V8s, Mike Bell's 3500HP NHRA blown alcohol Hemi, Joe's 1700rwhp Stage 6 TT Ford GT, countless 1000hp turbo Modulars, etc etc.

Google MHP Tuning, Andy's Tune, etc and see what you come up with.

Otherwise, I'm not sure there's anything wrong to being new to a certain market.

Thanks
Andy
Very confident and very ambitious. Sure there's nothing wrong with being new, everyone has to start somewhere. Reputation and credibility definitely something that is earned and of course there are many critics here (myself included) that have been tuning and modifying our Toyotas and Lexus for many years. Not one tuner has yet to break their mysterious ECU's as we all know of Toyota ECU's being optimal for power, economy and most importantly, reliability. If you guys can do us wonders, we are all ears. We anxious to see what you guys have to bring. It's nice that you guys have developed products for other vehicle platforms out there...that's great, but what experience do you guys have with Toyota/Lexus/Scion vehicles other than manipulating a couple ones and zeros for those cars?

BTW, it's kind of interesting that you're quick to mention of becoming a forum vendor and we're still learning about your company and products as they are very new. For the benefit of our community and friends, some of the questions I asked previously were not answered except for a few. Here they are again...

All your references are only forum based with no citations or sources to cite. Your forum registration on the other forums i've looked through are very new and you have no physical listed address or contact information listed on your website or domain registration. Why?

Last edited by flipside909; 12-03-08 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-03-08, 01:00 AM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
That would be interesting to see that. Can't wait!

Very confident and very ambitious. Sure there's nothing wrong with being new, everyone has to start somewhere. Reputation and credibility definitely something that is earned and of course there are many critics here (myself included) that have been tuning and modifying our Toyotas and Lexus for many years. Not one tuner has yet to break their mysterious ECU's as we all know of Toyota ECU's being optimal for power, economy and most importantly, reliability. If you guys can do us wonders, we are all ears. We anxious to see what you guys have to bring. It's nice that you guys have developed products for other vehicle platforms out there...that's great, but what experience do you guys have with Toyota/Lexus/Scion vehicles other than manipulating a couple ones and zeros for those cars?

BTW, it's kind of interesting that you're quick to mention of becoming a forum vendor and we're still learning about your company and products as they are very new. For the benefit of our community and friends, some of the questions I asked previously were not answered except for a few. Here they are again...

All your references are only forum based with no citations or sources to cite. Your forum registration on the other forums i've looked through are very new and you have no physical listed address or contact information listed on your website or domain registration. Why?
We have worldwide clientele so the missing address isn't such a big deal. Our Columbus shop is located at 67 Klema Dr North, Suite D, Reynoldsburg OH 43068. Warren MI is 25180 Ryan Rd, Warren, MI 48091.

I would be more prone to post other info when we actually become paying sponsors...

As for citations or sources, I'm not sure what you're referring to? We've gone step by step with our tuning on various forums, believe it or not viral marketing is a very potent form of advertising. Word of mouth rules in this business and again all our customers are satisfied--we have a $ back guarantee on everything.

If you want to speak to some of our current clients (those that agreed to speak with new clients about their experiences) let me know.

Bottom line: Get me an ECU to flash and in 5-7 days you'll know whether we can do what we say we can or not. We've been reviewing the base IS-F cal for days now and again it's nothing special. Remember, we're the only ones in the world doing MB/AMG TCUs, BMW SMGs, Lambo SMGs, and our ECUs make more power than our competitors in every contest to date.

Aside from that, kickback and watch for the objective track/dyno results. That should put any doubt to rest rather quickly.

Thanks
Andy

ps--If you or anyone else has more specific questions please feel free to contact me directly at 614 940 9523.

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)