IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

quad tips paint and remove!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-09, 03:26 PM
dana_daen
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, back up of facts guys, lots of information there explaining the reason behind the incorporation of quad tips. Weather you think it looks "bad" or you're all depressed cause it's not attatched, some engineers put those quad exaust there for a dedicated purpose, and as you can see on those other high end cars they understood the necessity to have the same design. The ISF is one sick sick car, I think the styling of it is also marvellous, from the quad tips - to the "balluga whale" hood.
Old 01-10-09, 06:03 AM
IS-Fer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL balluga whale. At least it doesn't look like a BMW 6-series sperm whale.

I'm not entirely convinced of the marketing-ese (lies). I'd like to hear the engineer-ese (truth) instead. but anyways, I agree with you it's one sick car. I actually can't stop thinking about this car.
Old 01-10-09, 07:14 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,041 Likes on 2,447 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-Fer
LOL balluga whale. At least it doesn't look like a BMW 6-series sperm whale.

I'm not entirely convinced of the marketing-ese (lies). I'd like to hear the engineer-ese (truth) instead. but anyways, I agree with you it's one sick car. I actually can't stop thinking about this car.
The one thing supporting this is the New Car Features actually says something about it. The NCF is very technical in terms of describing what they did and why they did it. It's not nearly as detailed as the real engineering types would like, but Toyota is the only manufacturer I've seen who provides this kind of information.

I also understand your skepticism - the wing on the Supra really does nothing despite all the magazines being told it generates 66 lbs of downforce over 100 mph. It's pure marketing. Whether the tips actually have a diffuser effect is debatable (I'm doubtful, but I haven't bounced it off any of the aero guys I know). I am 100% sure they could not have eliminated the bouncing exhaust tips without doing exactly what they did, and my bet is they wanted to kill the visible bouncing. It is really bad on the ISx50s. The exhaust still moves - it has to - but you can't see it anymore.
Old 01-10-09, 02:17 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's VERYYYYYY rare that I disagree with you (), but I couldn't let this one go...tell this to Tommy Banh who was smoking the tires at 200 mph in 5th gear at the TX Mile b/c he took his wing off!!!!! The wing definately DOES help with downforce on the Supra, no doubt...he put the wing back and all of a sudden, voila, like a new car...

Peter

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
the wing on the Supra really does nothing despite all the magazines being told it generates 66 lbs of downforce over 100 mph. It's pure marketing.
Old 02-25-09, 12:23 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok so i removed the bumper then the tips and i painted them flat black. i did not like it so i cleared the flat black and now they are being buffed so they will be shiny. i used very high temp paint probably overkill but up to like 2000deg. lol but they look great i will post the pics tonight finished and thanks again joez bolts were where u said but was best to remove bumper.
Old 02-25-09, 12:29 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by houstonT
It's VERYYYYYY rare that I disagree with you (), but I couldn't let this one go...tell this to Tommy Banh who was smoking the tires at 200 mph in 5th gear at the TX Mile b/c he took his wing off!!!!! The wing definately DOES help with downforce on the Supra, no doubt...he put the wing back and all of a sudden, voila, like a new car...

Peter
Don't most if not all spoilers even trunk lip spoilers work at adding downforce in some sort of capacity, especially at higher speeds? how can they not? (911, GT3-2, new Viper ACR and its shopping cart that you could dry beef jerky on etc.)
Old 02-25-09, 01:13 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Originally Posted by 8speed
Don't most if not all spoilers even trunk lip spoilers work at adding downforce in some sort of capacity, especially at higher speeds? how can they not? (911, GT3-2, new Viper ACR and its shopping cart that you could dry beef jerky on etc.)
i saw the acr on the speed channel and they could barely get the car to like160 because of downforce from spoilers. it works
Old 02-25-09, 02:00 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to see pictures....... now.
Old 02-25-09, 04:39 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Dflores, I'm with iKenn, pics, now, vamos vamos
Old 02-25-09, 04:51 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by DFLORES
ok so i removed the bumper then the tips and i painted them flat black. i did not like it so i cleared the flat black and now they are being buffed so they will be shiny. i used very high temp paint probably overkill but up to like 2000deg. lol but they look great i will post the pics tonight finished

and

thanks again joez bolts were where u said but was best to remove bumper.
No Problem.. Glad it worked out!!

Did you sand down the tips before painting??

Let see some pics!!

Joe Z
Old 02-25-09, 05:51 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe Z
No Problem.. Glad it worked out!!

Did you sand down the tips before painting??

Let see some pics!!

Joe Z
i did and used primer first then flat black then clear then i bake them in the oven! to cure the paint i used satin clear so its not too shiny but not dull! i like them i will post pics when im done putting it all back together!

Last edited by LEXUSF; 02-26-09 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-25-09, 06:59 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

i understand it's academic fun to speculate whether those tips serve any functions or just purely aesthetic purposes. personally, i do not give a sxxt whether they are fake or real or diffuse 500 cf of air per second. the car goes fast, really fast and the quad tips look nice, that's more info than i ever need to know about those tips.
Old 02-26-09, 07:20 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MicaISF
i understand it's academic fun to speculate whether those tips serve any functions or just purely aesthetic purposes. personally, i do not give a sxxt whether they are fake or real or diffuse 500 cf of air per second. the car goes fast, really fast and the quad tips look nice, that's more info than i ever need to know about those tips.

Actually the tips aren't fake at all.........they are "real" exhaust tips and they actually exist
Old 02-26-09, 11:38 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Here are some pics better ones to come! it was late!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...d-exhaust.html
Old 02-27-09, 12:10 AM
MicaISF
Pole Position

i like that color. looks like black chrome.

Quick Reply: quad tips paint and remove!