IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

wheel pitting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-09, 09:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

of course, that's always the case. won't prevent everything, but the finish should last longer
Old 01-31-09, 01:29 PM
rnpjstewar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had severe pitting on my ISF.
The dealer replaced all four wheels as "one time deal".
I wash and wax regularly and I ncan't for the life of me understand why Lexus would design a wheel that would pit.
I have posted before and let the flaming begin, But this is my 6th lexus with no previos issues.
I also have a Z06 that is subjected to much more abuse that I track occasionally (with similar milage) and no issues.
I expect more from Lexus than I do from GM.
Thanks
Old 02-02-09, 07:17 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bam
Hi everyone. I have a qucik question about the IS-F wheels pitting. I can't say that I know what this is and I haven't been able to locate any pictures of wheels pitting. Can someone describe to me in a little more detail of what exactly this is and maybe post some pixs if you have some?

Hopefully an IS-F will be in out future and I sure would like to know how often I'll need to wash the wheels to not have this problem. Thanks in advance.
Lexus has had a ever constant problem with there chrome wheels pitting and corroding. Even the none chromes have the issue. Some places use a form of acid to clean off wheels which leads to the wheels pitting. Also if you are in driving conditions with salt that also pits/corrodes the wheels. People that live along the beach have that issue. Usually with the chrome wheels your dealer can warranty them out within the 4 year 50,000 miles warranty. If you make a big deal about it if they don't want to replace it for free they should be able to replace it no cost to you. With the non chrome wheels those you can usually buff out and put bead sealer on it and you should be set for awile. Sometimes that doesn't work because the corrsion take over the whole wheel and it won't hold air. Replacement of the wheel is needed then. Ask your dealer if they can replace it for free you might be covered under warranty.
Old 02-02-09, 12:22 PM
FChampOH
Driver School Candidate

We had a customer with pitting complaints on the IS-F OE wheels. We asked to keep the car for a day and work on it. Upon close inspection, what appeared to be pits in the corner angle where the spoke meets the wheel was actually built up brake dust. After washing the wheels and then spending time with some claybar, we were successful in removing all traces of "pitting". It will take a little time and some elbow grease but the results for us were "wheels that look like new again". Claybar was the answer in this case. We then waxed the wheels with wax, nothing special, and suggested to the customer that he have the wheels waxed when the car is waxed twice a year. I am at a Lexus dealer in Ohio. I can't be to detailed as to what dealer as I am not a vendor here. I spend most time at the sister site LexusF.com.

Doug
Old 02-02-09, 12:30 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

I wax my wheels whenever I wax my car, and I haven't noticed any pitting yet. I'll have to take a closer look at it.
Old 02-02-09, 01:23 PM
gs2isf
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aarya
Any recommendations on a wheel wax?
try a wax called rejex.....works for me and i'm very picky about what i use on my car....follow the directions to a tee, i did 2 coats the first time but you must let the car sit for about 18hrs in the shade so the wax can bond correctly to the wheels after that brake dust slips off with a quick spray of a hose! use it regularly you'll be happygoogle it online for purchase.
Old 02-02-09, 04:29 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Thats interesting that the brake dust would cause that it just doesn't seem plausible. Brake dust corroding rims I can see getting caught in the pits. Unless it burns so hot and comes off and burns the paint on the wheels then yes that sounds good to me. Wax takes that off I might have to look into that with a pitted rim when I can get my hands on one. If possible can someone post pics of a before and after with this kind of condition?
Old 02-02-09, 05:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Hawk Blues are known for flying bits of hot metal burning through whatever coating is on the wheel. The pads we have don't have anywhere near that much metal in them and the speeds we typically drive don't lend themselves to the wholesale hot metal bits sticking to the rim coating like the blues do. Anyone familiar with Blue pads will tell you to clean the wheels as soon as possible after exiting the track (they're a track only pad anyway) to get as much of the metal off as you can.

I don't see any of what I would call pitting. I do see a couple of tiny rock chips, but if I don't clean the wheels daily, they get covered with brake dust so they're not visible anyway.

I can imagine a dealer doing their best to keep a customer happy, but you can't expect them to replace wheels for minor issues. Wheels get beat up by the road. There's no escaping it.

If you like, you can let my wife drive the car. Then you'll have something to really complain about. You'll have endless curb damage on all four corners in short order. Thankfully she drives her Scion and I drive the F.
Old 02-02-09, 11:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
Thats interesting that the brake dust would cause that it just doesn't seem plausible. Brake dust corroding rims I can see getting caught in the pits. Unless it burns so hot and comes off and burns the paint on the wheels then yes that sounds good to me. Wax takes that off I might have to look into that with a pitted rim when I can get my hands on one. If possible can someone post pics of a before and after with this kind of condition?
i believe we are talking about hot brake dust "sticking" to the wheel finish, not eating into it. that's why clay bar can take them away
Old 02-03-09, 11:53 AM
FChampOH
Driver School Candidate

Yep, that's what I was referring to. The build up of brake dust in the corners where the spoke meets the wheel was significant enough to appear as pitting. That claybar did the trick in our case.
Old 02-03-09, 12:34 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

If you look close enough on the IS-F wheel brake dust, there are many times where I can see it sorta glitter...
There are little tiny metal particles just sitting on the wheel finish..
(on the really dirty ones that is)

Joe Z
Old 02-03-09, 03:19 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i believe we are talking about hot brake dust "sticking" to the wheel finish, not eating into it. that's why clay bar can take them away
Sorry I didn't see "appeared" lol.
Old 02-15-09, 09:10 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by primecut
I wax my wheels whenever I wax my car, and I haven't noticed any pitting yet. I'll have to take a closer look at it.
You wax the entire inside of the wheel?