IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

JoeZ Exhaust + Intake Dyno = +26 RWHP +19 RWTQ SAE

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-09, 06:32 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFer
Decent #'s timeToy......but what about the richness???
Would it mean an ECU tune to cure that issue?
There are a few factors that had me thinking that this run do not really reflect the actual gains.
- No cooling period before dyno run
- Only maybe 80 miles since the Air Filter was installed and the ECU reset
- High humidity
- Gremlins

So hopefully another run should be taken care of all this...
Old 02-14-09, 08:39 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Why/how did the air/fuel ratio change? Does simply changing the air intake make the car run leaner? Or is the larger diameter where the MAP sensor attaches to the intake tube fooling the computer in thinking that there is actually less O2 going in?

Honestly, I don't think a 30 minute cooling down will improve performance. Even at the drag strip, for me, hot lapping gives me the best times and if I can't hot lap, my first run after arriving at the strip is usually the best run (no engine cooling down period).
Old 02-14-09, 10:20 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb Nice Work!!!!

Nice Work Jerome!!

During R&D testing the intake pipe had an approx 5 rwhp gain over our base / stock IS-F.
We left the oem filter in place and charcoal filter as well... and there was NO ecu reset.

Typically with the nice gains you achieved with the exhaust, it might not make a whole lot more after adding the intake.

Heat soak may have been your issue... I am hoping your re-dyno shows the results you like....

Also, I strongly recommend a minimum of 200 miles after an ECU reset...

If not, I would highly consider re-installing the oem filter and charcoal filter in your next dyno session...

Very Glad your Dyno numbers are still going in the upwards trend!!!

Joe Z
Old 02-14-09, 10:36 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Why/how did the air/fuel ratio change? Does simply changing the air intake make the car run leaner? Or is the larger diameter where the MAP sensor attaches to the intake tube fooling the computer in thinking that there is actually less O2 going in?(...)
I have no idea why the A/F ratio is so high, maybe I didn't give it enough time (80 miles) to fully adapt after the ECU reset ? Maybe the Amsoil Air filter does not respond well to the car ? Maybe the dyno A/F sensor tube was improperly inserted in the exhaust ?

Originally Posted by Joe Z
(...) But if not, I would highly consider re-installing the oem filter and charcoal filter in your next dyno session...

Still very glad your Dyno numbers are still going in the upwards trend!!!

Joe Z
Definitely, the Amsoil Air Filter is already gone, OEM is back. I keep the charcoal filter off for now.

Yes it goes up, torque is nice, overall the combination Exhaust/Intake is now better balanced, the noise is more pleasant with less whine and a more throaty rasp between 3k and 4k rpm.

Anyway, the adventure continues...
Old 02-15-09, 06:44 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

It seem like the IS-F doesn't like anything except the OEM air filter.
Old 02-15-09, 06:51 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
It seem like the IS-F doesn't like anything except the OEM air filter.
Just like the IS350 and these results aren't too surprising. Seems Lexus is consistent with their already optimized intake. The only part of the intake run of concern is how lean it gets in the mid-range where it corresponds to the lower power in the mid-range, but the rest esp the top end looks very good. I can't see how a new intake tube would have caused thi, so I'm guessing the new air filter/removed charcoal combination was to blame for the lean-out. If you have the time and funds it sure couldn't hurt to give it another try with just the JOEZ tube and the guts all OEM.

Last edited by caymandive; 02-15-09 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-16-09, 09:59 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info here. What then would any of you say would be the biggest bang for the buck in this car? Beyond JoeZ Exhaust, anything else?
Old 02-16-09, 05:15 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Great info here. What then would any of you say would be the biggest bang for the buck in this car? Beyond JoeZ Exhaust, anything else?
Available choices that I know of so far, are 1/ JoeZ exhaust and 2/ ECU/TCU mod from MHP. see link.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...-for-is-f.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...e-08-is-f.html

Any I don't know about anyone????

Colin.
Old 02-16-09, 08:05 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

I honestly think getting Volk RE30s is a pretty good upgrade too. Not very cost effective, but losing 40 pounds of rotating mass does pretty good. First of all, 40 pounds is 1% of overall weight so that's like having 1% more HP so gain of 4-5 hp from the lower weight. Second, lower rotating mass has more effect than just weight loss - can't remember the formulas and stuff from physics, but I think I've got at least a 10 rwp gain over a stock IS-F using my Volk RE30s.

Last edited by ToothDoc; 02-16-09 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-16-09, 08:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,973 Likes on 2,403 Posts

I honestly think getting Volk RE30s is a pretty good upgrade too. Not very cost effective, but losing 40 pounds of rotating mass does pretty good. First of all, 40 pounds is 1% of overall weight so that's like having 1% more HP so gain of 4-5 hp from the lower weight. Second, lower rotating mass has more effect than just weight loss - can't remember the formulas and stuff from physics, but I think I've got at least a 10 rwp gain over a stock IS-F using my Volk RE30s.

You forgot about the SRT intake with the "chip" to lean out the car a little. I believe that was good for a decent amount of HP (based on the dyno).
Yes, I'd say you've forgot the physics. Lighter parts do not add hp to anything. They reduce inertia and they make the car act like it has more power, but in reality, it doesn't make any more power than it did with the heavy wheels. It just gets to speed more quickly.
Old 02-16-09, 08:25 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

timeToy, are you still running rich with the intake and exhaust combo? Also, have you noticed an increase or decrease in MPG?
Old 02-16-09, 08:46 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
timeToy, are you still running rich with the intake and exhaust combo? Also, have you noticed an increase or decrease in MPG?
I didn't had too much time to test drive the car this week end, I should be able to get some numbers Wednesday or Thursday.
Old 02-16-09, 09:08 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yes, I'd say you've forgot the physics. Lighter parts do not add hp to anything. They reduce inertia and they make the car act like it has more power, but in reality, it doesn't make any more power than it did with the heavy wheels. It just gets to speed more quickly.

Holy cow! I have forgotten my physics!! You're correct. However, wouldn't the reduction in inertia of the wheels yield a higher RWP at a dyno? A hub dyno gives a higher HP than a wheel dyno due to intertia and frictional losses. Not because it's actually making more power, but because power is transferred to that giant metal drum with less loss from the wheels itself. Heck, I'd imagine it takes a decent amount of HP to get 40 pounds of rim to spin up to 170 mph.
Old 02-16-09, 09:27 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by timeToy
I didn't had too much time to test drive the car this week end, I should be able to get some numbers Wednesday or Thursday.
Awesome, appreciate it!
Old 02-16-09, 09:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,973 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Holy cow! I have forgotten my physics!! You're correct. However, wouldn't the reduction in inertia of the wheels yield a higher RWP at a dyno? A hub dyno gives a higher HP than a wheel dyno due to intertia and frictional losses. Not because it's actually making more power, but because power is transferred to that giant metal drum with less loss from the wheels itself. Heck, I'd imagine it takes a decent amount of HP to get 40 pounds of rim to spin up to 170 mph.
A dynojet dyno will say you make more power. Any of the others will not, they'll just tell you they saw less resistance to acceleration while making the same hp number.

Quick Reply: JoeZ Exhaust + Intake Dyno = +26 RWHP +19 RWTQ SAE