IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

JoeZ Exhaust + Intake Dyno = +26 RWHP +19 RWTQ SAE

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 09:15 PM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed my Joe Z cat-back system tonight. As others have said, it really fit together nice. I had only two problems. (1) I had trouble removing one of the O2 sensors (it galled) and (2) it took me a little while to figure out how to get the Lexus system off the hangers. Took about 1.5 - 2.0 hours overall.

It sounds Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Also seems quicker though hard to tell.

Thanks for developing a nice system Joe Z.

Pat
Old 02-20-09, 09:17 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If that were the case it would only last a few minutes at best. The primary O2 sensors are wideband, not narrowband, and there are a/f targets based on load. The MAF give a primary input for injector pulsewidth, but it is corrected by short term and long term fuel trim based on observed a/f compared to anticipated a/f. So, unless the change put the correction factor all the way to the +20% limit, the ECM would just retune the correction and apply it to all fuel values - even at WOT - because despite running open loop at WOT, the LT + ST fuel trim values still get applied.

I'm glad you're here to give us more technical info. So you're saying there is a 20% correction factor. So lets say the stock intake is 3 inches and the Joe Z if 4 inches. The intake cross sectional difference is 1.5^2 vs. 2^2 or 2.25 vs. 4 which is more than a 20% increase.

The reason I'm so curious is that I find it sooo hard to believe that a slightly smoother pipe AFTER the air filter could give so much HP. I feel like the air trying to get past the filter and past those little ports into each cylinder individually is more the limiting factor than the intake tube. I'm not doubting small HP gains, but significant gains? There's gotta be something going on and the fact that the A/F ratio IS leaner.
Old 02-21-09, 06:53 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by FPR1939
Installed my Joe Z cat-back system tonight. As others have said, it really fit together nice. I had only two problems. (1) I had trouble removing one of the O2 sensors (it galled) and (2) it took me a little while to figure out how to get the Lexus system off the hangers. Took about 1.5 - 2.0 hours overall.

Pat
Hello Pat

Glad to hear its finally on... Looking forward to your complete Base, Tuned & Exhaust + Tuned results..

We have some solid results with Dyno's from Peter & Jerome comparing their Base IS-F to the Exhaust installed....

Joe Z
Old 02-21-09, 07:02 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by timeToy
Here are the latest developments of my quest for power...

Anyway, today I found time to make my way to the dyno for a run... And the results are more in line with expectations...

I am now very happy with the results and will be moving on to the next stage, ECU Tune !
Awesome results Jerome!!! Glad you found time to go back to the dyno..

Seems that the stock oem filter is the way to go right now..
I hear Blitz Japan has developed a drop in filter as well for the IS-F.
It should be interesting to see how that will do on the dyno in the near future.

I am not sure if having your charcoal filter removed affected any of your results or A/F, but none the less you got to the 375 rwhp mark..

That's fantastic!!

Joe Z
Old 02-21-09, 07:42 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb ******** Post 3,500 ********

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
The reason I'm so curious is that I find it sooo hard to believe that a slightly smoother pipe AFTER the air filter could give so much HP. I feel like the air trying to get past the filter and past those little ports into each cylinder individually is more the limiting factor than the intake tube. I'm not doubting small HP gains, but significant gains?
Optimizing the oem Air Flow is the goal behind the "Joe Z Intake"..

Not only is the pipe smoother which creates less turbulence, but the air resonator on the top side of the oem intake pipe is gone as well.

I have designed this intake for every IS model since 2002...

Just some side facts:

In 2002 we dyno'd the IS300: 7 rwhp max gains
In 2006 we dyno'd the IS250: 6 rwhp max gains (see '08 F-Sport intake)
In 2006 we dyno'd the IS350: 5 rwhp max gains (see '08 F-Sport intake)
In 2008 we dyno'd the IS - F: 5 rwhp max gains

All independently tested of course. All on the same dyno through the years.
These are on the minimal side of rwhp gains, but that's the whole idea behind the concept.
Decent gains with a slightly more robust sound from the intake department..

Thank You
Joe Z
Old 02-21-09, 07:46 AM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Joe Z,

Might as well go "whole hog", PM me with the info on how to order the Joe Z inlet.

Pat
Old 02-21-09, 08:05 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Joe Z,

Might as well go "whole hog", PM me with the info on how to order the Joe Z inlet.

Pat
Hello Pat

The "Official Release" date is this coming Monday by our CL vendor Carson Toyota - Lexus Parts.

Thank You
Old 02-21-09, 08:58 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, great results timeToy. What kind of dyno did you run on? I'll see if I can find one in my area and get one done so we can compare
Old 02-21-09, 10:03 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Joe-Z intake/exhaust is going on next Saturday. I don't think I'll be spending the time to do a baseline dyno however. Can't wait!
Old 02-21-09, 10:22 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Pat
Pat...did the galling cause any issues with re-installing the 02 sensor in the new piping, or was the damage to the old piping threads and not the 02 sensor's threads?
Did you have the proper 02 sensor install tool?

Glad to hear you like it. I'm waiting for March to install mine and am trying to anticipate any potential issues with its install.

I'm also looking forward to your complete Base, Tuned & Exhaust + Tuned results..

Cheers
Colin.
Old 02-21-09, 10:32 AM
ni8done
Driver

Where is the best place I can order a Joe Z Exhaust for my car, did a search online, and didn't come up with anything

Thanks
Old 02-21-09, 11:15 AM
FPR1939
Pole Position

ISFer,

Yes, I used the proper tool. Both the old coupling and the O2 sensor galled. I took a dremel tool with a real fine cut-off disk and cleaned up the burrs off the sensor before I reinstalled it into the new connections.

I have a question for Joe Z and others who have done this. How do you disconnect the O2 sensor from it's connector. There is a rubber boot where it goes into the underside of the vehicle. When I pulled this boot down the wiring went further up into the body cavity. It would have been much easier if I could have disconnected each of the sensors. Luckly I had my son and my grandson helping so they could hold the exhaust up after it was disconnected from the CATs while I disconnected the O2 sensors.

One reason it may have galled is that the exhaust was a little warm. I would suggest letting the exhaust get totally cooled or you could run water over the O2 sensor and exhaust pipe until it is totally cool.

The only other thing that was not too obvious is the way that the original exhaust is removed from the hangers. There is a conical cap on the end of each hanger where the rubber hangers slide on and are retained. We ended up spraying the rubber and hanger with lubricant and then prying the rubber hanger off the rod with the cap. Joe Z can probably tell us if there is an easier way than what we did. We essetially "brute forced" it.

Pat
Old 02-21-09, 12:23 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

(...)I have a question for Joe Z and others who have done this. How do you disconnect the O2 sensor from it's connector. There is a rubber boot where it goes into the underside of the vehicle. When I pulled this boot down the wiring went further up into the body cavity. It would have been much easier if I could have disconnected each of the sensors. (...)
I do not think you can disconnect the O2 sensor, in my case I pulled out the rubber boot from the underside of the car, this gave me a little more wiggle room to be able to unscrew the O2 sensor, also when re-attaching it I gave it 4-5 counter clock wise rotations before put it in the exhaust, so when you screw it back on the wires are not tangled.

(...)The only other thing that was not too obvious is the way that the original exhaust is removed from the hangers. There is a conical cap on the end of each hanger where the rubber hangers slide on and are retained. We ended up spraying the rubber and hanger with lubricant and then prying the rubber hanger off the rod with the cap. Joe Z can probably tell us if there is an easier way than what we did. We essentially "brute forced" it.(...)
Nope, brute force with lubricants is basically the best way...
Old 02-21-09, 02:40 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Well I am still waiting to dyno my car wonder how the SRT compares to the JoeZ, 380+whp is my goal.
Old 02-21-09, 03:06 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I just picked up my JoeZ exhaust. Anyone know where I can pick up the proper 02 sensor removal tool and what the part number is?...Darshana S...

Quick Reply: JoeZ Exhaust + Intake Dyno = +26 RWHP +19 RWTQ SAE