IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

So much for Lexus reliability!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 08:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Well guys, I got the vehicle back a little while ago and, no surprise they couldn't detect anything or repeat it. They replaced the battery and then tried leaving the lights on auto and shutting it down and so far no problems.

I did play with the aux mode when I got it back. When you use aux mode, the push button turns orange, instead of green when you're running it. There was no light on the button when we exited, something we surely would have noticed as it is fairly bright orange.

I also brought up with my SA your suggestion about it being left in auxillary mode. He stated that in auxillary mode the engine fan should not be running regardless of the car being on or not. It may stay on when the engine is very hot (it wasn't...we had only driven a half hour to get there at regular highway speed), but should shut off once the engine cools down.

They could offer no explanation why the engine fan would have remained on like it did.

So we'll see if it happens again...like MHP said....maybe just one of those electrical gremlins. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again.

If any of you think the tech is not right, I would appreciate any more explanations you can think of for future reference.
Cars don't heal. It's unfortunate they're unable to duplicate the issue. It will come back. I had an electrical issue on my Supra preventing +5v from going to the throttle position sensors and the MAP sensor but it was intermittent and only happened when the car got cold - under 50F - and I could not duplicate the problem. It took a year to finally get a hard enough break to fully troubleshoot and find the issue (it was not visible to the naked eye, and required some very delicate bending on a connector pin inside the plug from the wiring harness to the ECM). I could go on and on about troubleshooting it, but I really hated my car for all the time it took to sort this out.

I might try a couple of things to see what might have happened, but I really suspect a bad pin in a connector or a bad switch. There is nothing at all common between the engine fans and the lighting systems electrically except they're both powered by the battery.

If you don't mind, PM me with a detailed description of the symptoms - everything you remember - and I'll take a look at TIS to see if there's a single item that might be responsible (other than the BEAN ECU).
Old 02-02-09, 08:09 PM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was hoping they could find something. It sucks when you have intermitent electrical problems. Good luck. I know you will be nervous for a while waiting for it to happen again.

Pat
Old 02-02-09, 10:02 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Sorry to hear about your electrical issues... The new battery is a good thing, just keep your eye on the shutdowns or any other possible electrical hicups..

Did the dealership that jacked up your rear calipers offer an ETA on replacing them??

Joe Z
Old 02-04-09, 06:53 PM
SebringAG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what's the latest news, CDNRockies? You're just going to keep driving the IS-F until the problem reappears?
Old 02-04-09, 07:00 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SebringAG
So what's the latest news, CDNRockies? You're just going to keep driving the IS-F until the problem reappears?
Yup, I guess so.

Like lobuxracer stated, cars don't heal themselves so eventually I'm sure it will happen again. I will be pm'ing him more info, as he has graciously offered to try to troubleshoot, and maybe his car genius can hit on something I can suggest to the dealer.

It drove fine on the way home, but there isn't anything to suggest that there is an easy fix. As MHP mentioned, electrical gremlins have no rhyme or reason for showing up...lol.

Joe, I have no idea right now. Still trying to get the calipers dealt with between the 2 dealers. They did commit to resolving it. I have been way too busy to get to them....I still have my black pearl grill that's been sitting in the garage for a couple of months.
Old 02-07-09, 07:24 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

not very "on" the topic, but I am having an issue with my IS-F which is still on investigation.

When IS-F engine is fully worm-up while on D mode, standing still, engine drops RPM down to 400. Car start shaking a little. All this happens, when outside temperature is lower the 0 Celcius. When it is above, it acts absolutely normaly and rpm is around 650-700.
Old 02-07-09, 03:13 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Audriuss
not very "on" the topic, but I am having an issue with my IS-F which is still on investigation.

When IS-F engine is fully worm-up while on D mode, standing still, engine drops RPM down to 400. Car start shaking a little. All this happens, when outside temperature is lower the 0 Celcius. When it is above, it acts absolutely normaly and rpm is around 650-700.
I was told that was normal for all Is models. they said it helps not to jolt car into gears or something....kinda just listened and said whatever.
Old 02-07-09, 03:32 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

i get the same issue with the rpms dropping to 400 n shake feeling...i took it to lexus and obviously car acts fine everytime i visit the dealer...i don't worry anymore....just drive n enjoy , we have warranty
Old 02-07-09, 05:16 PM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Salil022
i get the same issue with the rpms dropping to 400 n shake feeling...i took it to lexus and obviously car acts fine everytime i visit the dealer...i don't worry anymore....just drive n enjoy , we have warranty

droping RPM lower then 500 is NOT good. If engine makes car shaking, it means it is running too slowly. All this hapens when temperature is 0 or lower by celsius. Dealer recorded for around a minute some data and now is waiting for a response from upper...

It all depens on outside temperature and car being normaly worm-up. Something made wrong with ECU programing at temperatures below 0.
Old 02-09-09, 01:28 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-Fer
Don't all cars have circuits that protect it from frying when you jump it? That's what I was told one day by a service advisor.
Fuses, yes. You'll typically blow one before causing more costly damage to the wiring and rest of the vehicle.