IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tire Wear Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-09, 01:22 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire Wear Question

I have about 16,500 miles on my F...the rear tires will go close to 20,000 miles and overall, I'm happy with that. Today, I gave a quick look at my front tires and at first all looked great...there was probably 50% tread left. However, upon further inspection, the inside AND outside of the tires are completely worn (bald). I know the first thing you think is OVERinflation, but I religiously check the tire pressures and keep it right at manufacturer spec. Any ideas? It can't be camber b/c it's worn in and out, can it be toe or caster messing them up? Anyone else with this issue?

Peter
Old 02-01-09, 01:24 PM
IS-Fast!
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anything it would be that they are under inflated. If they were over inflated it would cause you to wear out the center of the tire.
Old 02-01-09, 02:10 PM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OT.

Peter, How many people signed up for MSR?

Pat
Old 02-01-09, 04:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah if anything it's under inflation, over inflation causes the middle of the tire to wear out

do you toss your car around aggressively? that causes outside wear
Old 02-01-09, 07:21 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

My bad on the typo, sorry, I meant under inflated!!!!!! I am **** as hell when it comes to the car and always have it at the appropriate level...

Pat, call me...

Peter
Old 02-02-09, 07:02 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

By you mentioning maufacturing spec you have the alignment check/done every couple months? You have a alignment issue going on or you are taking the corners pretty fast to tear them up. Tire inflation on those should be 36 psi in the fronts/rears. The IS250/350 Pressures are 34PSI front and 37PSI rear. AWD's are 35psi front and rear. The tires that are on the cars are designed to wear out bald around 30,000 miles the way the alignments are setup on these cars. Possibly change the tire to a higher mileage which would help ,but check out the alignment first.

Last edited by SHOLEXMAN; 02-02-09 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Wrong info...
Old 02-02-09, 07:09 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
By you mentioning maufacturing spec you have the alignment check/done every couple months? You have a alignment issue going on or you are taking the corners pretty fast to tear them up. Tire inflation on those should be 34 psi in the fronts and 37 in the rears which also goes for the IS250/350 not for AWD those are 35psi front and rear. The tires that are on the cars are designed to wear out bald around 30,000 miles the way the alignments are setup on these cars. Possibly change the tire to a higher mileage which would help ,but check out the alignment first.
Umm. No. Factory spec for the F is 36 front and rear. It's on the sticker. I looked at it last night. Alignment will never wear inside AND outside edges at the same time.
Old 02-02-09, 07:32 AM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Agreed 100% Lance...I suppose it's my issue then and I might have gone some time with not enough air in the tires...
Peter

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Umm. No. Factory spec for the F is 36 front and rear. It's on the sticker. I looked at it last night. Alignment will never wear inside AND outside edges at the same time.
Old 02-02-09, 07:42 AM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Peter,

As soon as I have a tire that is about 4# lower than the others (32 vs 36#) the TPI indicator comes on. It drives me crazy because I am usually looking at different things on the dash, gear selection in manual, mpg, etc. and the TPI indication always comes right back on display within seconds of looking at other indicators.

PM me with your telephone number. I didn't add your phone number to my Blackberry the last time we talked.

Pat
Old 02-02-09, 07:53 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=lobuxracer;4216436]Umm. No. Factory spec for the F is 36 front and rear. It's on the sticker. I looked at it last night. Alignment will never wear inside AND outside edges at the same time.[/QUOTE

Sorry will edit the first part got the car mixed up in my head. Other vehicles like the RX says to set tire pressure to 30PSI we don't do because the tire pressure light goes off at 29PSI so we set it to 35PSI .We don't go by some of the models recommended PSI because of that. Doesn't include the ISF. I didn't directly say that both alignment angles make both sides wear at the same time. I know that isn't possible only unless the person is taking corners hard and has the alignment issue at the same time. Under inflation is possible ,but they guy checks it all the time not so possible.

Last edited by SHOLEXMAN; 02-02-09 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-02-09, 07:57 AM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Peter,

You did run your ISF at MSR last year didn't you? It is possible that at the high cornering speeds you were going at that time you wore some rubber off the outer edges. My experience is that the edges continue to wear as fast as the middle even though you have scrubbed off some of the outer edge rubber.

Pat
Old 02-02-09, 11:30 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

A characteristic of double wishbone suspensions are inner tire wear. All Lexus cars with double wishbone suspensions will do this. The geometry of the suspension allows the tires to camber in when loaded. Also, the lower you go, the more negative camber you will incur...so inner tire wear is going to be accellerated. It's been something i've come across in my 04 IS300 and 07 GS350, both driven with high mileage and both lowered as well.
Old 02-02-09, 04:40 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

The new GS,IS,SC have some medium to bad alignment issues when they come into my work. Not because the person beat on it and also they have 23,000 miles or less and they have inner tire or outer tire wear problems. Like into the cords/ply at 20,000 theres something up with there newer suspension designs that isn't working well with the tires. The compound of the tires might make a difference ,but the alignment setup is more to blame. Even if the car doesn't have a alignment issue the average live of the tires is around 30,000. I have to recommend a alignment on like every 3rd newer GS,IS,SC. The service writers go tell the customer and there like what are serious?! lol
Old 02-02-09, 05:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
A characteristic of double wishbone suspensions are inner tire wear. All Lexus cars with double wishbone suspensions will do this. The geometry of the suspension allows the tires to camber in when loaded. Also, the lower you go, the more negative camber you will incur...so inner tire wear is going to be accellerated. It's been something i've come across in my 04 IS300 and 07 GS350, both driven with high mileage and both lowered as well.
OK, but this doesn't reflect my experience at all. Supras have essentially the same double wishbone suspension as the SCs (with harder bushings) and I've never had a wear issue with correct toe even with all four corners running -1.5 degrees of static camber. The issue isn't with double wishbones. It might be camber gain, but I doubt it. I'd bet on bump steer being the real issue.

My IS350 at stock ride height only cooked the outer edges of my front tires because I drive hard around on ramps. If I could have dialed in one more degree of negative camber I probably wouldn't have had any issues at all. On my second set of tires (came with BS RE050, replaced with RE050A PP) I had no issues at all with wear.

FWIW, the tires on the IS shouldn't last more than 30k or so. I put 31k on mine, and at 59k, the second set was ready to be replaced. They were on the car when I traded it in.
Old 02-02-09, 07:42 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

i am only seeing outside extreme tire wear. I have a feeling that the TOE is set in too much. I have 16k as well and seeing the same issue. Sending it to lexus but I want to have them give me the settings first and my have them pull the toe out some what to decrease tire wear.

Quick Reply: Tire Wear Question