IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

K&N Drop in Filter (not for the IS-F).. Who installed it??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-09, 11:17 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe by adding a k&n drop in with addition to your intake any gains probably not?
Old 02-05-09, 11:26 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Not sure.. maybe when its first installed....

My testing was specifically done with the OEM filter...

Originally Posted by LexISguy
Joe by adding a k&n drop in with addition to your intake any gains probably not?
Side Note:

This thread is in no way shape or form a thread to down play the K&N products..

This thread is here for information purposes only and to inform you members that although there is a K&N filter out there that fits in the F Air Box, it was NOT designed or developed for the OEM IS-F Air Intake System..

Joe Z
Old 02-05-09, 12:15 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, let me chime in, 'cause I have the feeling that my experience will help shine a light on this issue.

So, as a lot you regulars know, I have ran a Baseline dyno (Blue, Run #1) with my car on December 30 before installing any serious performance mods. As you can see, that baseline was with a K&N air filter installed. Pretty good numbers, I didn't seems to have any issues with the car, all is well...

Then I installed the JoeZ exhaust, and after around, 800 miles on the exhaust, to make sure it was properly broken in, I went on my way to the dyno. There, big surprise as I didn't saw any improvement (Red, Run #3) over the baseline. After a call with JoeZ, he mentioned, that I should check the exhaust for leaks and check my MAF because of my K&N air filter, that there are known case of oiled up MAF sensors on the IS350 and that could cause the issue, specially looking at my A/F ratio.

So I double check the exhaust for leaks with a white clean cloth and didn't found any, and I removed the K&N air filter, replaced it with the OEM and cleaned the MAF sensor with some electronic cleaner. That's all. And after 180 miles of driving to make sure the ECU if back in spec, I took it to the dyno (Green, Run #5). Power and Torque number are back in spec, as well as the A/F ratios. The car run great and you can really feel the thrust after 5k RPM...

So, maybe it was just a freak occurrence, but in my case it seem that there was an issue with the K&N air filter, and that removing it and cleaning the MAF really did the job.
Old 02-05-09, 01:50 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Are there any dry drop in filters out there yet for the IS-F. Also, timeToy, did you notice a drop in your MPG with the K&N Filter? One of the things I've noticed is that i've actually lost some MPG with the K&N Filter...maybe it coincides with a dirty MAF. You guys have seriously got me reconsidering my K&N filter...Darshana S...
Old 02-05-09, 02:33 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Amsoil has a drop in for the IS-F. Not sure if it oiled or how it would affect the performnace of the car.
Old 02-05-09, 03:17 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Are there any dry drop in filters out there yet for the IS-F. Also, timeToy, did you notice a drop in your MPG with the K&N Filter? One of the things I've noticed is that i've actually lost some MPG with the K&N Filter...maybe it coincides with a dirty MAF. You guys have seriously got me reconsidering my K&N filter...Darshana S...
Originally Posted by LexISguy
Amsoil has a drop in for the IS-F. Not sure if it oiled or how it would affect the performnace of the car.
The Amsoil is a dry filter. I was running it on my F for a while but took it off today and put on the OEM one. No reason, just felt like it

I can get you a part number that I got from an amsoil dealer that fits the F. I'm not sure if the specific one I have matches these numbers from the Amsoil website. I will check on it later. Enjoy

http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa...msoiloaf:index
Old 02-05-09, 04:41 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
(...)I can get you a part number that I got from an amsoil dealer that fits the F. I'm not sure if the specific one I have matches these numbers from the Amsoil website. I will check on it later. Enjoy(...)
Yes please what's the Part # ?
Old 02-05-09, 06:34 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by timeToy
Yes please what's the Part # ?
I remember the discussion about this Armsol filter when people were initally looking for a drop in high flow filter ... is it the one that is a tad larger than the box so you have to kind of squeeze in the filter element to fit properly or is it one that's specific for the IS-F?
Old 02-05-09, 08:30 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

I found the part # EAA233 and a thread about it...
Fig Claim +5 HP and +5 Torque
Old 02-05-09, 08:31 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats my part number as well timeToy
Old 02-05-09, 08:46 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

timetoy, have you/did you remove the charcoal filter?

Thanks!
Andy
Old 02-05-09, 08:47 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by timeToy
Okay, let me chime in, 'cause I have the feeling that my experience will help shine a light on this issue.

So, as a lot you regulars know, I have ran a Baseline dyno (Blue, Run #1) with my car on December 30 before installing any serious performance mods. As you can see, that baseline was with a K&N air filter installed. Pretty good numbers, I didn't seems to have any issues with the car, all is well...

Then I installed the JoeZ exhaust, and after around, 800 miles on the exhaust, to make sure it was properly broken in, I went on my way to the dyno. There, big surprise as I didn't saw any improvement (Red, Run #3) over the baseline. After a call with JoeZ, he mentioned, that I should check the exhaust for leaks and check my MAF because of my K&N air filter, that there are known case of oiled up MAF sensors on the IS350 and that could cause the issue, specially looking at my A/F ratio.

So I double check the exhaust for leaks with a white clean cloth and didn't found any, and I removed the K&N air filter, replaced it with the OEM and cleaned the MAF sensor with some electronic cleaner. That's all. And after 180 miles of driving to make sure the ECU if back in spec, I took it to the dyno (Green, Run #5). Power and Torque number are back in spec, as well as the A/F ratios. The car run great and you can really feel the thrust after 5k RPM...

So, maybe it was just a freak occurrence, but in my case it seem that there was an issue with the K&N air filter, and that removing it and cleaning the MAF really did the job.
On a side note that's somewhat related, here we find another graph showing us that these motors like fuel (running rich).
Old 02-05-09, 09:00 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MHP

Thanks!
Andy
Andy.. I am sure he did not...

As I stated earlier taking out / breaking off the charcoal filter isn't going to do much on the IS-F..

Here is something you haven't seen yet..

photo courtesy of "Fig"

Joe Z
Old 02-05-09, 09:08 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MHP

Thanks!
Andy
Nope, the charcoal filter is still there, untouched.
Old 02-06-09, 07:28 AM
isbeater
Driver

FS: K&N airfilter - $25 lol

Quick Reply: K&N Drop in Filter (not for the IS-F).. Who installed it??