IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

K&N Drop in Filter (not for the IS-F).. Who installed it??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-09, 09:44 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Well guys, I did a cross reference to the K&N filter that we use for the IS-F (part number 33-2069) with other availible dry air filters and I came up with aFe Pro Dry S air filter (part number 31-10021). Both of these filters are originally for VW Golf or Jettas from 93-99. I'm not sure what the exact dimensions are for the aFe filter but I figure if it's for the same applications, it should fit. I'm debating getting the aFe to try it out or to hold out for the K&N intake system and just replace the cone filter that it comes with with a dry cone filter. Anyway, just thought I'd share the info that I came up with...Darshana S...
Old 02-07-09, 09:50 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

^^It's going to be interesting to see if K&N actually releases their intake system for the F. I know they had one on a SEMA car and it's been rumored it's going to be released but nothing yet I'm anxious to see if it's going to get rid of the dual stage like the SRT does.
Old 02-09-09, 06:24 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, after reading this email last week I got worried so I decided to take a look at my intake box (I've been running a K&N air filter sent by Andy/MHP with the v2 tune). The whole intake box was fine, no traces of oil anywhere. The charcoal filter was clean and dry as well. After inspecting the K&N air filter I found it dry to the touch, I couldn't feel any oil on my fingers. I put the stock air filter back for testing and drove to the local track. After Andy's tune I've been running 8.4 consistently in the 1/8 mile, this weekend I couldn't do better than 8.5, my trap speed went down 1 mph as well. I guess the K&N filter does its job after all, I don't know what part number I received from Andy, but it wasn't oily at all. I'll be installing it back during the week and run again at the track next weekend.
Old 02-09-09, 06:37 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,340 Posts

^^^^Yep, when Joe opened this thread, I also went out to my F, took the intake apart and checked everything for signs of oil residue. There was none. I've using K&N Drop-Ins and Cone Filters for years, and have never had an incident. When I clean and reoil, I am very careful not to over oil. I don't use the spray oil, but the I use the drip bottle. I also let the filter dry for 24 hours before I reinstall.

Lou
Old 02-09-09, 07:18 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

So I took out my K&N filter yesterday and also checked my MAF sensor. There were no visible or tangible oil residue on the sensor but one thing I have noticed since installing the K&N filter is that I've been having poor MPG. Before installing the filter I was doing 18 to 20 MPG, but afterwards I was a constant 16 MPG. This may correlate with a dirty MAF, whether it be filter oil or just poor filtering of the K&N filter vs the stock filter. I put the stocker back in and reset the ECU and I'll let you guys know after a couple hundred miles if I regain my MPG. Right now I can't tell a noticible power difference between the stocker vs the K&N filter...Darshana S...
Old 02-09-09, 07:44 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^My K&N DropIn has been in since I had 209 miles on the car. I now have about 2K miles. My gas mileage has hovered between 20-22 MPG. I think the gas mileage is great for this type of vehicle.

Lou
Old 02-09-09, 09:15 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Guys, again this was posted for informational purposes only..

It is up to each individual on what you decide to do..

I did not expect you guys to be finding oil inside your boxes..
But oil vapor can cause the MAF filament to become "sticky" per se and in a shorter amount of time allow dust and dirt to accumulate on the filament or sensor area.

- This may affect performance eventually...
- In time it may even cause a CEL..

Another place to check is the throttle body flap..
If any oil vapor has made it through, it would collect there as well. .

What I am posting here, is nothing new regarding Oil Filters & MAF sensor issues.. (generally speaking)

Joe Z
Old 02-09-09, 03:02 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Guys, again this was posted for informational purposes only..

What I am posting here, is nothing new regarding Oil Filters & MAF sensor issues.. (generally speaking)

Joe Z
Hi Joe

You're right, this issue is nothing new. I ran a K&N cone filter in my G35 for 6 years using the cleaning technique I described above. I had no issues with my ECU. A filter that is over oiled will most definitely mess up the ECU. It's my belief, from my experience, that a properly oiled gauze filter will work just fine. I plan to keep using my K&N DropIn with your air intake tube, if I ever get it I'm waiting patiently for it

Lou
Old 02-18-09, 09:35 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Well guys I thought I'd give you all an update after replacing my K&N drop in filter back with my stock filter. With the K&N I was having about 16mpg, after replacing it with the stock filter I'm already improved my MPG back up to 19mpg. This is after about 250 miles of combined highway and street driving. I honestly can't tell a difference between the K&N and the stock filter...I thought I did before, but not right now. I highly suggest those with the K&N filter to at least clean their MAF sensor. You may not actually feel any oil residue on the sensor, but it may still be there. I'm definately sticking with at least the stock filter for now. I may consider a dry drop in filter later on, but for right now, I'm happy to get my MPG back!
Old 02-19-09, 11:30 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm seeing the same results. While I was using the K&N drop-in filter I could see no more than 16mpg even, I replaced it 2 weeks ago with the stock filter (I've driven around 400 miles already) and now my average is 19.5mpg.

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Well guys I thought I'd give you all an update after replacing my K&N drop in filter back with my stock filter. With the K&N I was having about 16mpg, after replacing it with the stock filter I'm already improved my MPG back up to 19mpg. This is after about 250 miles of combined highway and street driving. I honestly can't tell a difference between the K&N and the stock filter...I thought I did before, but not right now. I highly suggest those with the K&N filter to at least clean their MAF sensor. You may not actually feel any oil residue on the sensor, but it may still be there. I'm definately sticking with at least the stock filter for now. I may consider a dry drop in filter later on, but for right now, I'm happy to get my MPG back!
Old 02-19-09, 11:51 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Your Welcome Guys!!!

I usually know what I'm talking about...

- Joe Z

Originally Posted by Juanca
I'm seeing the same results. While I was using the K&N drop-in filter I could see no more than 16mpg even, I replaced it 2 weeks ago with the stock filter (I've driven around 400 miles already) and now my average is 19.5mpg.

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Old 02-19-09, 12:39 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your Welcome Guys!!!

I usually know what I'm talking about...

- Joe Z

i too us k&n joe. how would i clean the MAF? and other places harmed
Old 02-19-09, 12:54 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DFLORES
i too us k&n joe. how would i clean the MAF? and other places harmed
IF you think your is dirty and might be causing problems...

This is safe to use..

With car completely OFF.. Carefully removing and cleaning should be pretty easy for the average Joe.. LoL

Joe Z
Old 02-19-09, 12:56 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF you think your is dirty and might be causing problems...

This is safe to use..

With car completely OFF.. Carefully removing and cleaning should be pretty easy for the average Joe.. LoL

Joe Z
LOL thanks i really dont notice a problem but you mad me recognize maybe i do! also what does the charcol filter do? can i remove it? also can i clean mine to make it dry?
Old 02-19-09, 01:05 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DFLORES
LOL thanks i really dont notice a problem but you mad me recognize maybe i do! also what does the charcol filter do? can i remove it? also can i clean mine to make it dry?
The charcoal filter is not a restriction in the intake system. I'd just leave it in if I were you. It is also part of the emissions system and absorbs vapors as they would try to escape out the intake system when you shut the car off.

Quick Reply: K&N Drop in Filter (not for the IS-F).. Who installed it??