IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

K&N Drop in Filter (not for the IS-F).. Who installed it??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 02:39 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation K&N Drop in Filter (not for the IS-F).. Who installed it??

How many members here have purchased the K&N filter that was not designed for the IS-F??

Reason I am asking is that, it has come to my attention that this oilled filter is actually doing more harm than good...

The IS-F Air Filter Box has a charcoal filter that does not fully cover the drop in filter.

This is allowing the super strong V8 to suck in the K&N oil filter vapors off the filter and then attaching to the internals of the MAF Sensor (Mass Air Flow).

This Sensor then begins to quickly attract more dust & dirt particles making the IS-F run much worse and rougher then it would with the stock dry filter..

So play it safe for now and run the OEM filter or wait for a proper aftermarket Dry Filter to be made for the IS-F.

If you think your IS-F is running a bit rough since your filter install. There is a procedure for cleaning your MAF sensor, so your car can go back to running normal.

Joe Z
Old 02-04-09, 03:27 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow Joe, thanks for the info. I didn't know they were causing problems on the F. I've run into other problems with the K&N filters on other cars so I didn't purchase one for the F (and good thing I didn't). Thanks again for the heads up
Old 02-04-09, 05:17 PM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crap, now I have to remove it. Or is it just so whe buy the JoeZ intake system....... jk
Old 02-04-09, 05:20 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been running the K&N drop in filter for about 4 to 5 months now and haven't had a single problem. I've also run a K&N cone filter on my Supra TT for years which is also running the stock MAF without a single problem.
Old 02-04-09, 05:27 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the headsup, Joe.......It seemed that the Jeep Cherokee filter fit perfectly, but it now sounds like maybe it does not.
When I purchased mine at Parts Source, I explained that altho it wasn't made for the F, it was supposed to be ok for it. He offered to take it back in the event that it didn't work out.
I guess I'll return it and wait for the custom F version, since up here they're $70 + taxes!..not cheap.

As far as the oil coating the MAF sensor, there is a way to avoid that by being carefull not to apply too much of the cleaner and oil, and by placing the cleaned and oiled filter on newspaper overnight to soak up any excess.

Their usage is fine so long as you're very prudent with cleaning and re-oiling. -- Otherwise, as you say, you could cause some serious issues.

Cheers, and once again, thanks for letting us know.....

Colin.

Last edited by ISFer; 02-04-09 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-04-09, 05:29 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fleadog99
Crap, now I have to remove it. Or is it just so whe buy the JoeZ intake system....... jk

LOL, No of course not but it is a good idea tho.....

Joe, What's the scoop on your intake????

C.

Last edited by ISFer; 02-04-09 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-04-09, 05:35 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A marketing ploy by Joe LOL...jk. Your a good guy Joe
Old 02-04-09, 08:14 PM
MHP
Pole Position

This has been debated for years on the internet and beyond (cotton/oil filters causing build up on MAF/MAS sensors). This typically only occurs when the filters are over oiled (as in when the customer cleans and reoils the filter themselves). I've used K&N and BMC filters (basically the same thing, except BMC doesn't fold their ridges like K&N, they bend them) for over 15 years on all makes/models of cars and never had an issue.
We're sending out free K&N drop-ins with our CDT (ECU + TCU). Juan used one on the v2 test (though he didn't remove the charcoal filter), but had a 100% stock paper filter/charcoal setup for v1 testing.

Everyone needs to ditch the charcoal filter, and in time I'm sure aftermarket filters will become a proven mod for the IS-F.
Old 02-04-09, 09:29 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MHP
This has been debated for years on the internet and beyond (cotton/oil filters causing build up on MAF/MAS sensors). This typically only occurs when the filters are over oiled (as in when the customer cleans and reoils the filter themselves). I've used K&N and BMC filters (basically the same thing, except BMC doesn't fold their ridges like K&N, they bend them) for over 15 years on all makes/models of cars and never had an issue.
We're sending out free K&N drop-ins with our CDT (ECU + TCU). Juan used one on the v2 test (though he didn't remove the charcoal filter), but had a 100% stock paper filter/charcoal setup for v1 testing.

Everyone needs to ditch the charcoal filter, and in time I'm sure aftermarket filters will become a proven mod for the IS-F.
Good to know, Andy. TNX for your input.

C.
Old 02-05-09, 05:05 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MHP
When I had my IS350 I tested the car with various intake combos. When I tried with the charcoal filter removed I actually lost on a consistent basis 1hp. I also tested the HKS and Blitz drop in filters both with and without the charcoal filter and sure enough still no power gained. So in the end I stuck with the factory setup and the JOEZ intake pipe. We may find the same to be true for the IS-F as well as it appears the factory setup provides more than enough air for the engine HP level.
Old 02-05-09, 05:51 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
When I had my IS350 I tested the car with various intake combos. When I tried with the charcoal filter removed I actually lost on a consistent basis 1hp. I also tested the HKS and Blitz drop in filters both with and without the charcoal filter and sure enough still no power gained. So in the end I stuck with the factory setup and the JOEZ intake pipe. We may find the same to be true for the IS-F as well as it appears the factory setup provides more than enough air for the engine HP level.
In the end what kind of gains did you pick up with the stock filter and the JOEZ intake?
Old 02-05-09, 05:55 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
In the end what kind of gains did you pick up with the stock filter and the JOEZ intake?
On the IS350 I picked up almost 5whp (peak) and between 1-3hp throughout most of the rpms. Nothing considerable or even noticeable but at least I wasn't loosing power like the several other intake combos I tried. The worst was when I had the LMS hot-air-intake and lost power at every point in the rpm range.
Old 02-05-09, 07:48 AM
isbeater
Driver

LoL i had asked about this when we first knew about the filter and everyone thought i was out to lunch for the most part.
Old 02-05-09, 08:50 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Andy, I just called it as I saw it....

The charcoal filter only partially covers the oem drop in filter on the IS-F.
It does not fully cover it, like in the ISx50..
On or Off it really won't make any noticeable power difference in an IS-F

I am in NO WAY going to get into an internet debate about oil filters in general..

I will just reiterate that a K&N panel Filter in an IS-F (after a few months) fouled up the MAF and made the car run a bit rough and under powered.
This was a brand new filter out of the box, Not designed for the IS-F & never cleaned or re-oiled.

As an FYI, the Lexus / Toyota MAF's typically do not like the oil vapors released by the oil filters and are very sensitive.
I have seen this happen even when they are properly oiled.

If I was going to use a aftermarket drop in filter, it would be a dry design.

Are you supplying one that was designed for the IS-F??

Thank You
Joe Z

Originally Posted by MHP

Old 02-05-09, 08:54 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by LexISguy
A marketing ploy by Joe LOL...jk. Your a good guy Joe
You guys are funny!!!

I am actually pro aftermarket drop in filters..
But in my honest opinion & experiences, I would only use a Dry design in my cars.

Joe Z

Quick Reply: K&N Drop in Filter (not for the IS-F).. Who installed it??