IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Help with DVD hack

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-09, 09:35 AM
Reciprocal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BrattyGirl has not updated as to her problem with no-audio, but I had a momentary confusion in regards to subtitles, which for some reason is defaulting to "on".

By tapping the screen, a set of control buttons appear, upper right hand corner is "page 2" which reveals buttons for audio, subtitle and angle. Perhaps her audio can be enabled there.
Old 03-01-09, 02:31 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
BrattyGirl has not updated as to her problem with no-audio, but I had a momentary confusion in regards to subtitles, which for some reason is defaulting to "on".

By tapping the screen, a set of control buttons appear, upper right hand corner is "page 2" which reveals buttons for audio, subtitle and angle. Perhaps her audio can be enabled there.
Tapping the screen? Please elaborate.
Old 03-01-09, 05:20 PM
HenrysISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by dkaplan435
Tapping the screen? Please elaborate.
Touch your screen to bring up the dvd menu screen.
Old 03-02-09, 10:29 AM
brattygirl
Rookie

Hi Reciprocal,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to change the audio settings in DVD mode and I recieved the no audio symbol. I will take the car to the dealership when I return from overseas. I don't care about losing the warranty at this point. I will keep you guys posted.

Cheers,

Brat
Old 03-02-09, 12:59 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by brattygirl
Hi Reciprocal,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to change the audio settings in DVD mode and I recieved the no audio symbol. I will take the car to the dealership when I return from overseas. I don't care about losing the warranty at this point. I will keep you guys posted.

Cheers,

Brat

Any chance you can just undo the hack wiring you already did..??
Old 03-02-09, 01:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah just undo the hack first. been working on this system for a while, unless something went terribly wrong, if you undo things should be able to go back to normal
Old 03-03-09, 04:27 PM
brattygirl
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Any chance you can just undo the hack wiring you already did..??
Hey Joe,

Yea, I already thought of that. I rewired the unit to stock specifications and there's still no audio. I never tried the DVD player before the hack so I'm not sure if I had audio or not. It's really weird. I followed the hack instructions step by step. I don't see how cutting two wires could effect the audio. I even check the service manual for the ML system and everything matched the the manual. The only thing I haven't checked is the audio wire to the amp in the truck. Any other ideas before I take her in for service?
Old 03-03-09, 04:56 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Hmm...

Some quick suggestions as I run out the door...

Did you try a different DVD ??
&
Did you turn up the volume to the over 20 to 30 range to hear the DVD audio??

Jz
Old 03-03-09, 05:17 PM
brattygirl
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ Hmm...

Some quick suggestions as I run out the door...

Did you try a different DVD ??
&
Did you turn up the volume to the over 20 to 30 range to hear the DVD audio??

Jz
Yes Sir, tried a different DVD and no dice. The unit does not respond to me turning the volume up or down on the unit or the steering wheel. Which makes me believe there is a wire disconnected from the unit or amp.
Old 03-03-09, 05:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

when y ou did the wire hack, did you disconnect all the connectors? did the wire hack, and then plugged everything back in? if so, you sure you plugged everything back in correctly? at least one of the plugs can be plugged into different location and that can cause audio out
Old 03-04-09, 12:07 AM
Reciprocal
Driver

Originally Posted by brattygirl
I tried to change the audio settings in DVD mode and I recieved the no audio symbol.
1.) I don't believe this is a problem with wiring.
2.) I believe taking it to the dealer is appropriate in this instance

It's not the wiring mod because it's just the speed signal and parking brake. It's playing video while moving, so rule that out.

It's also playing IPOD and FM audio, so the preamp, amplifier and speaker system is working.

In DVD-Video, the dolby digital audio track is muxed with the mpeg2 video into the same file. Obviously the file is being read okay by the optical drive because there is video. The optical drive is a player, meaning it decodes the video and audio. The decoder is where the problem probably is because reading Brat's response above in quotes, it's the "no audio" signal. When there is audio present, it doesn't say "yes audio" it tells what kind of decoded audio is present, dolby, dts etc, and also whether it's the english track or the spanish track etc. So the audio readout is not just a discrete input from an electrical circuit, it is a decoded message. My judgment would be that the audio decoder is defective, and that the dealer will replace the entire head unit, nav screen and all, even though the problem is local to just the dvd player unit.

We can only speculate about how the dealer will treat the warranty, whether they care first of all, and whether it should be mentioned that it was modded before being put back, or whether to conceal or reveal, I just don't know. It would just depend on the relationship to the people, and although it could be good with the service advisor, someone else up or down the ladder could disagree.

I think if the wires were soldered together and covered with a piece of shrink wrap tubing, or even take a long piece of shrink wrap tubing and split it along the length so that it could fit over several wires and be made to look like a factory loom, small tie wraps could secure the tubing, and this could look factory more than wrapping it with electrical tape that the factory does not use.

Brat doesn't seem concerned about the warranty so no worries but I still don't think the mod had anything to do with the failure to have audio sound.

Hoping for the best.

My $0.02

Tom
Old 03-04-09, 01:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

i agree the wire cutting shouldn't cause problems, but as i mentioned if brat took off the whole unit to do the hack, meaning disconnected all the plugs, then maybe some aren't connected back or connected wrong. i have done a lot of installs and i know if some plugs are not plugged in correctly, you will have sound in other sources but not on dvd. i forgot the exact combo, brat, have you tried playing mp3 cds?
Old 03-04-09, 03:03 PM
brattygirl
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
when y ou did the wire hack, did you disconnect all the connectors? did the wire hack, and then plugged everything back in? if so, you sure you plugged everything back in correctly? at least one of the plugs can be plugged into different location and that can cause audio out
I did not disconnect all the connectors from the unit. I pulled the unit out half way and cut and spliced the wires. Before I installed the unit, I made sure to push in every connector just in case they came out while I was hacking! Since then, I've pulled the unit out 5 times to try different things and it still doesn't work. On a positive note, I can disassemble the unit in 5 minutes without breaking or scratching anything! LOL.

1.) I don't believe this is a problem with wiring.
2.) I believe taking it to the dealer is appropriate in this instance

It's not the wiring mod because it's just the speed signal and parking brake. It's playing video while moving, so rule that out.

It's also playing IPOD and FM audio, so the preamp, amplifier and speaker system is working.

In DVD-Video, the dolby digital audio track is muxed with the mpeg2 video into the same file. Obviously the file is being read okay by the optical drive because there is video. The optical drive is a player, meaning it decodes the video and audio. The decoder is where the problem probably is because reading Brat's response above in quotes, it's the "no audio" signal. When there is audio present, it doesn't say "yes audio" it tells what kind of decoded audio is present, dolby, dts etc, and also whether it's the english track or the spanish track etc. So the audio readout is not just a discrete input from an electrical circuit, it is a decoded message. My judgment would be that the audio decoder is defective, and that the dealer will replace the entire head unit, nav screen and all, even though the problem is local to just the dvd player unit.

We can only speculate about how the dealer will treat the warranty, whether they care first of all, and whether it should be mentioned that it was modded before being put back, or whether to conceal or reveal, I just don't know. It would just depend on the relationship to the people, and although it could be good with the service advisor, someone else up or down the ladder could disagree.

I think if the wires were soldered together and covered with a piece of shrink wrap tubing, or even take a long piece of shrink wrap tubing and split it along the length so that it could fit over several wires and be made to look like a factory loom, small tie wraps could secure the tubing, and this could look factory more than wrapping it with electrical tape that the factory does not use.

Brat doesn't seem concerned about the warranty so no worries but I still don't think the mod had anything to do with the failure to have audio sound.

Hoping for the best.

My $0.02

Tom
Tom, I totally agree with your assessment. I have a good rapport with my dealership so I will talk offline with my service manager first to seek advice.
He is the one who recommended an audio shop do the hack. Instead, I chose to do it myself. If I have to bring the unit back to factory specs then I will do it. I will take the car in for service when I return from my trip. This is my last weekend before I garage her for 30 days. I would rather drive her than sit at a dealership all day. Thanks for your input and I will keep you posted.

Originally Posted by rominl
i agree the wire cutting shouldn't cause problems, but as i mentioned if brat took off the whole unit to do the hack, meaning disconnected all the plugs, then maybe some aren't connected back or connected wrong. i have done a lot of installs and i know if some plugs are not plugged in correctly, you will have sound in other sources but not on dvd. i forgot the exact combo, brat, have you tried playing mp3 cds?
Romini, I tried playing an mp3 cd and it works!!! Truthfully, I didn't think it would work but it did! I tried five different DVDs and I still can't get any audio from them. I think Tom hit the nail on the head about the decoder. I'm just kicking myself in the **** for not checking everything out on the unit before modding it. Oh well, you live and you learn! Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-31-09, 07:03 PM
Low Offset
Driver

Any updates on this yet bratty girl? I'm actually having the exact same problem. I didn't do the nav bypass deal yet though because I'm waiting for my freakin audio to start working. I also need to take mine to the dealer...
Old 04-01-09, 09:03 AM
brattygirl
Rookie

Originally Posted by Low Offset
Any updates on this yet bratty girl? I'm actually having the exact same problem. I didn't do the nav bypass deal yet though because I'm waiting for my freakin audio to start working. I also need to take mine to the dealer...
Sorry I don't have an update for you guys. I am still in Germany and I am scheduled to come home next Thursday. I plan on taking the car to the dealership on the 20th since I will be installing the JoeZ exhaust and intake on the 13th. I will post an update after my visit with the dealership.

Cheers,

Rachael

Quick Reply: Help with DVD hack