IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I used the shift paddles but...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-09, 10:05 AM
Reciprocal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took delivery of my smoky granite mica IS F four days ago. My observations for street or track:

When you brake for a corner (in "F"/Sport/VSC_off), if the revs are not high it may downshift on its own which is confusing if I am also using the paddles to downshift. I could be counting shifts, 3 up exiting the corner, 3 down entering the corner. Unless the revs are high, it could add a downshift of its own putting me into the wrong gear for the corner. This is where I wish the automatic downshifting could be disabled.

If the revs are high enough to prevent the automatic downshifts, the binders are competing with the engine for control over the stopping rate.

This is less of a flaw on the track but there still isn't the same control as if the system included a clutch.

Also upshifts under power are very quick but downshifts are much slower. If I downshift before the corner but it doesn't execute until I'm mid-corner...that's alarming.

At this point I could hustle a 6-spd manual with much more confidence over unknown twisty roads.

I do like the dual personality though, just putting it in "D", non-sport feels very Lexus-like and is pleasingly hushed. The "F" mode is great for drag racing.
Old 02-23-09, 11:22 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car downshifts in manual so you don't stall, it's something standard even on dual-clutch transmitions. This happens only when revs are lower than idle.
Upshift is accomplished in 0.1s, downshift is in 0.3s, again this is something that was advertised before the car was released last year. The IS-F tranny is one of the fastest in the market, beaten by a couple of cars like the F430 (Scuderia ediction) and 599 Fiorano. I believe the new BMW DCT is close to the IS-F when used in its highest/fastest setting.
You'll get used to this tranny. Take the twistiest roads for instance and you'll see that rally cars don't use manual transmissions anymore, they use sequentials like F1 and the IS-F.
Old 02-23-09, 01:00 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sports mode and paddle shifters make huge difference in terms of performance and driving enjoyment whether it's on track or street. i say the difference in perception is due to driving style and how much one wants to be involved in the mechanical aspect of car driving. i noticed people who prefers manual transmission use paddles a lot more than drivers who are more comfortable driving auto tranny. just my 2 cents.
Old 02-23-09, 03:24 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

Originally Posted by Juanca
The car downshifts in manual so you don't stall, it's something standard even on dual-clutch transmitions. This happens only when revs are lower than idle.
Upshift is accomplished in 0.1s, downshift is in 0.3s, again this is something that was advertised before the car was released last year. The IS-F tranny is one of the fastest in the market, beaten by a couple of cars like the F430 (Scuderia ediction) and 599 Fiorano. I believe the new BMW DCT is close to the IS-F when used in its highest/fastest setting.
You'll get used to this tranny. Take the twistiest roads for instance and you'll see that rally cars don't use manual transmissions anymore, they use sequentials like F1 and the IS-F.
I think it downshifts before the revs fall to idle, more like around the torque converter stall speed, but I could be wrong. I admit to NOT having figured the shortcuts to speed and smoothness with this transmission.

In the sweeping approaches of the twisties, I'm sure I will adapt, but if you can imagine a different scenario, running fast in 7th or 8th on a rural straight, brake late as you approach the 4 way intersection, throw it hard into the 2nd gear corner and gas it hard coming out without looping it. If you didn't downshift at all, would it be in the right gear for the corner? Or if you did downshift with the paddles, would you risk dropping it down into 1st and looping it because it downshifted one gear more of its own accord? Or wheel-hopping from furiously working the paddle from 7th to 2nd? I saw this once already where the downshift I initiated before the corner was delayed until I was already into the corner, which could have made me ripe for a spin.
Old 02-23-09, 04:57 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MicaISF
sports mode and paddle shifters make huge difference in terms of performance and driving enjoyment whether it's on track or street. i say the difference in perception is due to driving style and how much one wants to be involved in the mechanical aspect of car driving. i noticed people who prefers manual transmission use paddles a lot more than drivers who are more comfortable driving auto tranny. just my 2 cents.
Although I agree, I am one of those who used to like only manual transmissions, but it is just too much of a pain here in Japan.
Old 02-23-09, 07:43 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

It seems to have the automatic downshifting fairly well matched for the appropriate drive out of the corner. The behavior seems trustworthy, but the power of this car needs to be respected. If one were to inadvertently be using the paddles in "D", then romp the throttle mid corner forgetting it can downshift in that mode, it could send him into the weeds.

After a good while of focused concentration in the manual shifting mode, I refueled and was ready to head for home. That's where it was sure nice to have that other dimension to this car, a luxury touring sedan with a smooth shifting 8 spd automatic and relaxing Lexus creature comforts.

Over the years I've spent some time behind the wheels of the LS400, LS430 and LS460. The IS F has a ride quality and feel to not let you forget that it's a Lexus too.
Old 02-27-09, 06:08 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for the silly question, but is "sport mode" an option and, if so, where do you find the switch to turn it on and off?
Old 02-27-09, 06:22 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,366 Posts

^^^^Look at your owner's manual, Page 169.

Lou
Old 02-27-09, 03:20 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a crime not reading the manual before posting on CL

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Sorry for the silly question, but is "sport mode" an option and, if so, where do you find the switch to turn it on and off?