IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I used the shift paddles but...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-09, 11:20 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I used the shift paddles but...

I used the shift paddles but I am already over it. I took the car for my first real drive yesterday and I used the paddles for the most part and with traffic lights being on average about 200ft apart they really do become a pain. And using the sport really has not done anything for me either. I am glad the IS-F has plenty of power and response b/c I think I can handle the slight loss in gear shifts driving in "drive". This is not a dig a the IS-F, on the contrary, it shows how well it performs when driving in just the plain old "drive" mode.
Old 02-19-09, 05:36 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if u take your ISF on track, u will understand why u need those paddels or gear stick..

On track, it is important to have rews ready for acelaration, and to have rews high while braking...it is impossible to have them that way just in simple D..sport mode doesnt help much in this plase either...
Old 02-19-09, 11:52 AM
stash84
Rookie

when you really get on the gas, you notice how it holds the gears and blips. i think its very different in sport mode...
Old 02-19-09, 12:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

The throttle blips at downshifts when you use regular "M" mode from the paddles, but not as pronouced when you have SPORT mode on or in "M" mode from the shifter selector. You really need to drive the F on long stretches or even on a track if possible. Maybe a track day at Fuji Speedway?
Old 02-19-09, 12:33 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I used the shift paddles but I am already over it. I took the car for my first real drive yesterday and I used the paddles for the most part and with traffic lights being on average about 200ft apart they really do become a pain. And using the sport really has not done anything for me either. I am glad the IS-F has plenty of power and response b/c I think I can handle the slight loss in gear shifts driving in "drive". This is not a dig a the IS-F, on the contrary, it shows how well it performs when driving in just the plain old "drive" mode.
im kinda with you dave manual sport is nice but it becomes a hassel i actually always drive like that though and in time i got used to it.
Old 02-19-09, 12:46 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

using sport mode really does make a difference.. the gears last a few more mph before shifts
Old 02-19-09, 12:47 PM
isfcow
Rookie

Wondering when you guys in sport mode, will you downshift 2-3 gears to slow down the car instead of use the brake ? Will doing this bad for the tranny ?
Old 02-19-09, 01:00 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Originally Posted by isfcow
Wondering when you guys in sport mode, will you downshift 2-3 gears to slow down the car instead of use the brake ? Will doing this bad for the tranny ?
i do use it to slow the car. from what i have read its not bad because its basically manual trans. the torque converter locks and its a manual or something like that.
Old 02-19-09, 02:03 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

take your car out to the track you will be amaze.
Old 02-19-09, 04:36 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Audriuss
if u take your ISF on track, u will understand why u need those paddels or gear stick..

On track, it is important to have rews ready for acelaration, and to have rews high while braking...it is impossible to have them that way just in simple D..sport mode doesnt help much in this plase either...
Yes I can understand that fully, just on a normal road there is not enough room to stretch its legs... so to speak.
Originally Posted by DFLORES
im kinda with you dave manual sport is nice but it becomes a hassel i actually always drive like that though and in time i got used to it.
I don't think I will ever get used to it, just too many traffic lights.

Originally Posted by btwanky
using sport mode really does make a difference.. the gears last a few more mph before shifts
I am glad you guys have desent roads over there, b/c it is just to cramped over here.

Originally Posted by kyang91
take your car out to the track you will be amaze.
I will have to take out the baby seats first, I think they will weigh the car down to much. Seriously, I don't think I will ever get a chance to drive it on a track.
Old 02-19-09, 05:03 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Yes I can understand that fully, just on a normal road there is not enough room to stretch its legs... so to speak.
I don't think I will ever get used to it, just too many traffic lights.

I am glad you guys have desent roads over there, b/c it is just to cramped over here.

I will have to take out the baby seats first, I think they will weigh the car down to much. Seriously, I don't think I will ever get a chance to drive it on a track.

well then if that the case just keep it in sport and auto i do sometimes it is still really fun and effortless!
Old 02-19-09, 05:16 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DFLORES
well then if that the case just keep it in sport and auto i do sometimes it is still really fun and effortless!
Yeah, when I want a bit of fun I think I will do that.
Old 02-19-09, 05:35 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

...coming from an rx300 that wishes it was an is-f, it's nice to be able to whip through traffic in DRIVE as opposed to having to worry about calling up a claim because you couldnt hit a paddle, the blinker, and change lanes with precision. when you're out on a track and you have no worries (for the most part), revs become important as the performance on a track can be greatly improved by learning how to use your engine to brake as well as precisely accelerate.
Old 02-19-09, 10:21 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by miniround
...coming from an rx300 that wishes it was an is-f, it's nice to be able to whip through traffic in DRIVE as opposed to having to worry about calling up a claim because you couldnt hit a paddle, the blinker, and change lanes with precision. when you're out on a track and you have no worries (for the most part), revs become important as the performance on a track can be greatly improved by learning how to use your engine to brake as well as precisely accelerate.
Very true, very true. No good to me on the street though!
Old 02-20-09, 12:56 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Just to make sure DAVE, we are talking about two modes of gear shifting, not three, right? I mean:
1. Gear stick in simple "D" mode.
2. Gear stick pushed to left from "D" possition
not
3. Gear stick in simple "D" but pedal shifters are used (this kind of changing gears doesn't make them shift any faster, or any similar to "2" type of gear shifting)

P.S. sport mode doesn't influence gear changing speed, just make accelerator pedal more sensitive and VDIM less sensitive

Quick Reply: I used the shift paddles but...