IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Official IS-F Drag Time/Dyno Time/Performance Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-12, 05:21 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by madastep
I'm looking for a cheap set of drag radials too, it's been way to cold here on test and tune nights, and feathering the throttle is something that's hard for me to do *wink*. I would LOVE toothdoc's rims, but he's baller style so... (i have to tease him since we have the same job) lol Been looking at some TSW's since they are cheaper and they don't seem to weigh much, anyone know much about them?

Oh and when spring comes, i'm joining this 11 second club. lol.....
Look on ebay for some slightly used Mickey Thompson ET Street's in the size 245/40/18. You can get them for about half off the price of buying two new ones. What TSW's are you considering?

Would love to see you joining the 11 second club too!
Old 11-25-12, 05:50 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha! All that drag racing I've been doing has put some fire back in you huh Caymandive?

Nice recording caymandive! I've tried to tell the guys that actually hitting the rev limiter seems to give the best results. You were definitely hitting the rev limiter before crossing the trap. I'm also glad to see that the Borla vs. the Joe Z exhaust wasn't the difference. It could be Sikky vs. PPE - but not so much in the header design but how they bypass the O2 sensor. Or it could just be the track or DA conditions.

I'm surprised that you didn't trap 120 because 4/5 gear rev limiter is 120 - are your tires you are using a little shorter?

2012 is officially over for me and and after numerous attempts, closest I got to caymandive was .05 seconds!!! Here are my slips:

I did manage a -.001 reaction time. There's a term for it - but forgot it. Also, my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best runs were all .001 apart! Check it out!

There are a lot of variables I noticed. Even between left and right lanes there is some discrepancy in the trap speed. IMO, the right lane is probably a little too high in the 1/8th trap speed but too low in the 1/4 trap speed. The left lane is about right but just still a little off in the final trap speed. The accuracies are the actual ETs so I'd take any comparison between tracks etc. with a grain of salt and even given the same DA, the track has about .1 second variability. FWIW, the headers and slightly lighter car amounted to a touch less than .4 seconds. EGIS350 also had the spare removed so the difference was truly just headers, rims, rotors, battery, and our own physical weight. We had the same tires and the same PSI.

I still have a little bit of tread left on the 245s for next year... Last chance!!!
Attached Thumbnails Official IS-F Drag Time/Dyno Time/Performance Thread-20121117_134443.jpg  

Last edited by ToothDoc; 11-25-12 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-25-12, 06:04 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Ha! All that drag racing I've been doing has put some fire back in you huh Caymandive?

Nice recording caymandive! I've tried to tell the guys that actually hitting the rev limiter seems to give the best results. You were definitely hitting the rev limiter before crossing the trap. I'm also glad to see that the Borla vs. the Joe Z exhaust wasn't the difference. It could be Sikky vs. PPE - but not so much in the header design but how they bypass the O2 sensor. Or it could just be the track or DA conditions.

I'm surprised that you didn't trap 120 because 4/5 gear rev limiter is 120 - are your tires you are using a little shorter?

2012 is officially over for me and and after numerous attempts, closest I got to caymandive was .05 seconds!!! Here are my slips:

I did manage a -.001 reaction time. There's a term for it - but forgot it. Also, my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best runs were all .001 apart! Check it out!

I still have a little bit of tread left on the 245s for next year... Last chance!!!
You certainly did put the fire back! It really felt great to be back on the strip again, but forgot just how hard it is getting a solid launch without drag radials. I've said it before and I'll say it again it's almost pointless going to the strip without some DR's.

I too was a little surprised about not getting 120 mph considering the tires I was using are the stock sized 255/35/19's which are 1.2% taller than my previous 245/40/18 setup. According to my gearing spreadsheet the stock tires are good for 121 mph at the top of 4th and the 18's are good for 120 mph. Maybe the mph is off at my track too! (edit) Just watched my recording over again in HD full screen and it does appear that I'm hitting the limiter right after the quarter mile marker so I guess the 118 mph is about right. I think the reason I couldn't get 120 mph is my slow launch where I could have picked up a few mph.

Again great job this year!

Last edited by caymandive; 11-25-12 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-25-12, 06:14 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Launch doesn't do too much to trap speed - IMO, you probably trapped 121-122 because I can see in the video you were clearly finished with 4th gear before even the 1/4 was finished. I was just barely crossed and I tripped the fuel cutoff. FWIW, here's a shot of the VBOX on one of my better runs. You can see the 60' and ET is off by VERY VERY slightly probably due to rounding. This was my highest trap speed of the day. Mostly running 119.5 mph.
Attached Thumbnails Official IS-F Drag Time/Dyno Time/Performance Thread-dsc04697.jpg  
Old 11-25-12, 06:25 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

ToothDoc did you mention the trap speed issue with the Great Lakes Dragaway management?
Old 11-25-12, 06:28 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

No. Turns out it was the very last day for them. I'm sure next spring comes around, they'll have to put the markers back out and maybe they'll get it right. No biggie - in the end, it's for fun and we know probably more accurately where we stand. Here's a botched run that I did manage to get on video. Sorry that my helmet cam is so old it only does 640 lol. I think I should get a dash mount cam. I noticed the lighting is screwed up when taken from inside the cabin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWBxl...ature=youtu.be

I just saw your video - you are clearly hitting the rev limit by the last cone. I think you were trapping 121. Looks like you have a 25' trap too. There is no way you went from 115-121 in the last 25 feet to average 118 in the trap. LOL Your traps are off by 1.5-1.75% also. LOL

Last edited by ToothDoc; 11-25-12 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-25-12, 06:41 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

No. Turns out it was the very last day for them. I'm sure next spring comes around, they'll have to put the markers back out and maybe they'll get it right. No biggie - in the end, it's for fun and we know probably more accurately where we stand. Here's a botched run that I did manage to get on video. Sorry that my helmet cam is so old it only does 640 lol. I think I should get a dash mount cam. I noticed the lighting is screwed up when taken from inside the cabin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWBxl...ature=youtu.be
Great run nonetheless! The shifts were spot on and the launch looked effortless.

I noticed the same lighting issues when I tried mounting a camera inside the car more than a few feet away from the windshield. Using my old windshield mount for my iphone worked out great though. I love the view in the windshield and with it being inside the cabin it's not drowned out by wind noise like all the gopro's you see mounted on cars.

I just saw your video - you are clearly hitting the rev limit by the last cone. I think you were trapping 121. Looks like you have a 25' trap too. There is no way you went from 115-121 in the last 25 feet to average 118 in the trap. LOL Your traps are off by 1.5-1.75% also. LOL
Doh!
Old 11-25-12, 07:00 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by madastep
I'm looking for a cheap set of drag radials too, it's been way to cold here on test and tune nights, and feathering the throttle is something that's hard for me to do *wink*. I would LOVE toothdoc's rims, but he's baller style so... (i have to tease him since we have the same job) lol Been looking at some TSW's since they are cheaper and they don't seem to weigh much, anyone know much about them?

Oh and when spring comes, i'm joining this 11 second club. lol.....
You'll be in the 11 second club w/o even doing drag radials, lightening, or any mods. You've got NOS! 17" do fit the rears - but if you eventually plan on road racing, going to bigger 18s would probably be better.
Old 12-01-12, 01:24 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 12.091 @ 116.12 on street tires

Today was my first time ever to a drag strip. I can't say that I am disappointed with the results I was running on my street tires - 245/35ZR19 fronts & 275/30ZR19 rears Michelin PSS.

I basically got exactly the same time as Caymandive last weekend, but my trap speed was a little lower.

Cayman, I am guessing that your car runs a little stronger than mine and I was bouncing off the rev limiter in 4th at a lower speed, since I have slightly shorter rear tires (25.6" vs 26").

The temperature went from 45-50 degrees between all my runs and the humidity went from about 80% to 75%. I don't know what the density altitude was, but I'm sure it was pretty good. I finally figured out how to hook up the best and shift well by the 6th run (my best). I was hoping to get a little better than my 12.09 time as the humidity continued to get a little lower, but when the big dogs hit the track and really started laying down thick rubber, I couldn't hook up to save my life.

My best run was:
1.874 60'
5.186 330'
1/8 mile 7.876 @ 91.24
1000' 10.169
1/4 mile 12.091 @ 116.12
Attached Thumbnails Official IS-F Drag Time/Dyno Time/Performance Thread-1-and-2.jpg   Official IS-F Drag Time/Dyno Time/Performance Thread-3-and-4.jpg   Official IS-F Drag Time/Dyno Time/Performance Thread-5-6-and-7.jpg   Official IS-F Drag Time/Dyno Time/Performance Thread-503.jpg  

Last edited by Gymkata; 12-01-12 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-01-12, 04:41 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Video for runs 5 & 6

Last edited by Gymkata; 12-01-12 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-01-12, 07:08 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gymkata
Today was my first time ever to a drag strip. I can't say that I am disappointed with the results I was running on my street tires - 245/35ZR19 fronts & 275/30ZR19 rears Michelin PSS.

I basically got exactly the same time as Caymandive last weekend, but my trap speed was a little lower.

Cayman, I am guessing that your car runs a little stronger than mine and I was bouncing off the rev limiter in 4th at a lower speed, since I have slightly shorter rear tires (25.6" vs 26").

The temperature went from 45-50 degrees between all my runs and the humidity went from about 80% to 75%. I don't know what the density altitude was, but I'm sure it was pretty good. I finally figured out how to hook up the best and shift well by the 6th run (my best). I was hoping to get a little better than my 12.09 time as the humidity continued to get a little lower, but when the big dogs hit the track and really started laying down thick rubber, I couldn't hook up to save my life.

My best run was:
1.874 60'
5.186 330'
1/8 mile 7.876 @ 91.24
1000' 10.169
1/4 mile 12.091 @ 116.12
Wow your best run was only only 1/1000th of a second different than mine! Just checked your DA for that run and it was -1177 ft vs a DA of -787 ft from my nearly identical run last weekend. Our mods are nearly the same with exception to the JoeZ pipe and toms filter on your car and as you mentioned the 275 width tires. With a set of DR's you'll be in the 11 second range for sure.

I'm planning on going back next weekend or the following weekend to try and beat my previous best. Just got some new lighter wheels and nearly new drag radials mounted today. These wheels (21 lbs) are about 5 lbs lighter (each) than the IS350 wheels I used in the past and the Borla exhaust and BC coils have shed some weight as well.

Name:  photo1.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  80.5 KB

Last edited by caymandive; 12-02-12 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-02-12, 04:46 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Originally Posted by caymandive
Wow your best run was only only 1/1000th of a second different than mine! Just checked your DA for that run and it was -1177 ft vs a DA of -787 ft from my nearly identical run last weekend. Our mods are nearly the same with exception to the JoeZ pipe and toms filter on your car and as you mentioned the 275 width tires. With a set of DR's you'll be in the 11 second range for sure.

I'm planning on going back next weekend or the following weekend to try and beat my previous best. Just got some new lighter wheels and nearly new drag radials mounted today. These wheels (21 lbs) are about 5 lbs lighter (each) than the IS350 wheels I used in the past and the Borla exhaust and BC coils have shed some weight as well.
Good luck. If you get similar conditions to what I had yesterday, I am going to predict an 11.84 @ whatever speed you are bumping off the rev limiter in 4th with those tires.

Last edited by caymandive; 12-02-12 at 06:29 PM. Reason: removed image from quote
Old 12-02-12, 06:30 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gymkata
Good luck. If you get similar conditions to what I had yesterday, I am going to predict an 11.84 @ whatever speed you are bumping off the rev limiter in 4th with those tires.
11.84 sounds good to me! It's exactly 1 second quicker than my best time with my old IS350.
Old 12-09-12, 01:43 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ good luck with the new wheels
Old 12-11-12, 04:10 AM
RobPR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys, after a few upgrades I went to the dyno yesterday and here are the results. 561whp and 610wtq. These are good numbers but the A/F ratios sucks big time. I need to upgrade my fogger so that it can handle better my shot. I will be heading to the strip on saturday and will let you guys know how it goes. But i will change the fogger before going to the strip...

Name:  Dyno12-11-12-1.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  46.7 KB

Quick Reply: Official IS-F Drag Time/Dyno Time/Performance Thread