IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Now that the IS-F is my daily driver....

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-09, 05:52 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Now that the IS-F is my daily driver....

....we are in the process of getting a boat-load of snow here in Northern Virginia. Anyone have any experience and/or recommendations regarding driving in the snow (I can't stay home so that won't work for me)? I suspect it will be an "ice skate" all the way.
Old 03-02-09, 06:02 AM
Shank2117
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not invest in a beater? a ltitle $600-$1,500 car to get from A to B.

I rather wreck a cheap car i dont care about and drive to work with a peace of mind then take an IS-F in the snow. you'll end up losing A LOT more money if something happens to the IS-F in the snow. even if you have awesome insurance, theres nothing worst then having a salvaged title or a repaired vehicle.
Old 03-02-09, 06:06 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
....we are in the process of getting a boat-load of snow here in Northern Virginia. Anyone have any experience and/or recommendations regarding driving in the snow (I can't stay home so that won't work for me)? I suspect it will be an "ice skate" all the way.
Put it in snow, leave the traction control on, drive cautiously and take it easy when accelerating Also, keep in mind how low the car is, I hear ya'll are supposed to be getting some serious snow levels
Old 03-02-09, 06:14 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

i still have my beater even though i have an AWD. it snows only few times a year, but you can still get snow tires and cheap rims if you prefer. donno what will fit on is-f though. summer tires won't do **** on snow.
Old 03-02-09, 06:30 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...er-set-up.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...and-tires.html

Search is your friend.

There are several owners that drive their cars year round, even in the snow. The PS2's are useless and unsafe if there is any snow on the ground.

We get tons of snow here obviously and I haven't once come close to losing control of her yet with the winter tires and trac control.
Old 03-02-09, 07:06 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

I live here in N. VA too and I tell you without a proper winter setup in any measurable amount of snow the IS-F will equal FAIL. Get a ride from a buddy, buy a beater, invest in a snow setup, rent a car or just call in sick.
Old 03-02-09, 07:17 AM
BB/F
Rookie

Yup. The snow button is a joke. My wife got stuck in the last snow we had. She couldnt make it back to the house so I had to go get her and leave the car about a mile away. When it snows, the ISF stays in the garage.
Old 03-02-09, 07:44 AM
Reciprocal
Driver

Even if you have siped snow tires and good traction, it's too low to the ground. Any vehicle will be thwarted once the depth equals the ground clearance at best, and in any practical sense, at far less than that once it's wet, tracked, pot-holed and pushed. Light champagne powder you may get through at first when it's fresh and virgin, but once it's wet or goes through a freeze/thaw or has ice beneath it and gets uneven and bumpy, the IS F would not be the car to be in, nor would any low slung rwd coupe or sedan.
Old 03-02-09, 09:09 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I spent 2 years in Northern VA in '96 - '98. The public works folks don't have the equipment to handle snow properly. The first winter I was there, I was marooned in my apartment for three days. My car was still back in California, but I had my truck. Could not move, roads were not plowed. The city came to a standstill. The area is on the snow line, so, as I said, they are not equipped to handle it. The second year I was there, the winter was cold, but snow free.

My advice for you, Chill Out (No pun intended) and stay home. You don't want to be out that mess, and you don't want to seriously screw up your F.

Lou
Old 03-02-09, 09:22 AM
dangy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say you invest in getting a beater. Cheap honda civic or accord.
Old 03-02-09, 09:28 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dangy
I say you invest in getting a beater. Cheap honda civic or accord.
Anyone wanting a beater Toyota Hatch? This was my grandmothers car and I'm trying to get rid of it. Comes with racing stripes!!!
Attached Thumbnails Now that the IS-F is my daily driver....-cimg0937-custom-small-.jpg  
Old 03-02-09, 09:51 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

+1 on the beater.. and +1 on the "ice skate"..

...Either the beater or you'll need snow snowtires to replace the F's dedicated, summer rubber. That would probably be more expensive.

Without snows, I doubt it'll help much but on our 'F's north of the border is a snow mode on our Sport/normal/ VDC button. This tones down throttle response somewhat and relaxes the transmission shifts, to make the car more 'winter friendly'.
Not sure what your 'F's have down there but on my switch there are 3 positions: Sport(top position), Normal (middle position), and snow (bottom position). -- the coresponding positions/mode are shown on the instrument cluster near the bottom right of the tach.

Good luck with your travels, I don't envy you and all that snow you've gotten lately.

Colin.
Old 03-02-09, 10:36 AM
brattygirl
Rookie

I live in Maryland and we got 5-6 inches of snow today. My boss already knows that I don't come to work on snow days, period! I have plenty of leave so I use it. My F will be in the garage until the following morning when the roads are clear. If you can't use leave, buy a beater or bum a ride to work!

Cheers,

Brat
Old 03-02-09, 11:37 AM
BB/F
Rookie

Nice!! Those racing strips should make for a quick sale in El Hernduras
Old 03-02-09, 12:07 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BB/F
Nice!! Those racing strips should make for a quick sale in El Hernduras
LOL - so true!

The beater is a good idea, but preferably something with AWD or 4WD for times like this. I wish I had a spare vehicle - the more mods I put on my car, the more I baby it!

Quick Reply: Now that the IS-F is my daily driver....