IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F Ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-09, 07:23 PM
arunp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS-F Ride quality

Hi, I am looking at purchasing a 08 or 09 IS-F and wanted to get some feedback from existing owners. I want to find out how the ride quality is? I have read in a few reviews that the car has a very harsh ride and you feel every bump. I have test driven the IS F a few times but cannot figure out how it will be as a daily driver and how comfortable will it be on long drives.

Thanks
Old 03-04-09, 08:52 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

i personally think it feels awesome... Everytime i drive its exciting... never had a car before where i just like to have an excuse to take it on the road and push it around a little
Old 03-04-09, 08:57 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came from an 05 Ecutek tuned STi (which rattled my fillings to death) and a B7 Audi S4 which was smoother and less harsh to the IS-F and IMO it's the best of both worlds and a perfect balance between feel good Lexus and responsive sports car. Any stiffer, and the ride would be brutal..........any softer and the car would be a sealy posture pedic on steroids. Hope this helps!
Old 03-04-09, 09:30 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

I agree. And if you read more reviews, you'll find them split, some say too harsh and others too soft.
Old 03-04-09, 09:32 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ride quality is very subjective. you definitely need to drive it on different terrains to get a good feel. i love cars with stiff suspension, so for me the F is relatively supple except on rough pavement.
Old 03-04-09, 11:08 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its kinda bump but my last car was a LS460L so i was kinda spoiled! but drives softer than my sti did!
Old 03-04-09, 11:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

comparing between rides in this league (m3, is-f, c63), imho the is-f is stiff, probably the stiffest of the 3.
Old 03-05-09, 12:24 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by arunp
Hi, I am looking at purchasing a 08 or 09 IS-F and wanted to get some feedback from existing owners. I want to find out how the ride quality is? I have read in a few reviews that the car has a very harsh ride and you feel every bump. I have test driven the IS F a few times but cannot figure out how it will be as a daily driver and how comfortable will it be on long drives.

Thanks
For a performance oriented car, it's not too harsh at all. It's a good cross btw firm and comfortable.
C.
Old 03-05-09, 01:31 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Smooth ride on smoothy road. Short spring travel can be a bear on a bumpy pavement.
Old 03-05-09, 03:37 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Your granny wouldn't enjoy the ride at all unless she's the little ol' lady from Pasadena (old song). It's a stiff ride, more so than the Z-06 I had previously, and you feel every bump out there but, then, this is what you buy the car for. To me that's a good quality and to some it may not be.
Old 03-05-09, 04:46 AM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Compared to my Mustang, which had the Ford Racing performance suspension, the F is downright posh. The car definitely feels sporty, but I don't consider it uncomfortable. Like others have said, you really need to drive one.
Old 03-05-09, 05:05 AM
arunp
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, this helps. I have had several Bimmers including 04 M3, 05 545, 08 550I sp and am used to a stiff ride. Somehow I cannot get a good feel of the IS-F ride. I guess I should ask the dealer to let me take the car home for a weekend. Do you have any tire cupping issue? How long do the tires last (not too agressive driving)?

Thanks again
Old 03-05-09, 05:57 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

For me I've decided to go with JIC coilovers to help soften up the suspension for daily driving and just get some more adjustability. Honestly though, I don't think the suspension is too rough I just think the Chicagoland roads are that bad. Especially in the winter when the car is riding even stiffer and the roads are that much worse, it will make a grown man cry. So I agree, smooth road, amazing ride and feel. More challenging and bumpy roads, hold on tight. Good luck with your decision!
Old 03-05-09, 08:50 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i took a little trip just after getting the F, 350 or more miles on a weekend, took it to Upstate NYC then Manhattan, china town for a friends wedding and then back to Delaware with my pregnant wife she was maybe 2 months that time needless to say ride was different in every road as people have said i loved the highway drive but as soon as it starts to get bumpy on highway i though i am gona break my neck my wife on the other hand loved it she said it was the most fun ever?? . NYC some roads are horrible some are great. That weekend i thought of getting rid of the isf..lol but this car is just right..its great for everyday driving where the road permits i been to TX and i love the Highways there + the weather you will have fun!
Old 03-05-09, 10:05 AM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think that the suspension is that stiff. I think that the rebound is very short. It drives around corners very well, and small bumps are no problem. Big / Sharp bumps make you feel like someone punched you in the stomach (maybe not that violent). My M3 has a pretty stiff setup as well, but with a better controlled rebound. The ride is much better.

Quick Reply: IS-F Ride quality