IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F vs IS350 (not that different)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-09, 09:20 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HKS350
Sure it is. ^^^ The IS350 would only need swaybars to hang. The added weight + poor weight distribution + Undersized tire's = slower track time's. No doubt the IS-F is faster but it's not the best handling of the IS's. But the IS250 is. So a more fair comparsion would be a Stock IS-F to a modified IS250.
thats true. I had a loaner IS250 and it felt it had better andling than the 350, I thiknk it because weight dist, and just lighter period. I aso drove it like i stole it because it wasnt mine
Old 03-09-09, 09:25 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by juice14
thats true. I had a loaner IS250 and it felt it had better andling than the 350, I thiknk it because weight dist, and just lighter period. I aso drove it like i stole it because it wasnt mine
If only felt like it was handling better 'cause you were going half as fast as you would in an F.
Old 03-09-09, 09:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,434 Posts

At "A Taste of Lexus" the pros were driving IS250s when we "students" were driving IS-Fs on the lead/follow. The 250s had F-Sport mods. It was HARD to keep up on a tight track despite having 200 more hp.

But I didn't buy the F for a track car. I also wouldn't buy a C63 or an M3. I'd buy a Radical and leave them all for dead. Or I'd borrow my friends Viper ACR and still run away and hide.

So discussions like this are about as meaningful as comparing anatomy. In the end, you got what you got and it makes you happy. If it doesn't, time for plastic surgery so you can throw more good money after bad to massage your ailing ego.
Old 03-09-09, 11:58 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone care to post documentation detailing the difference between the C & C63, 3 & M3, IS & IS-F? It would be an interesting read. I see a lot of speculation but not much facts.

It's a waste of time to discuss driver skill and how it bridges the gap. I'm sure a pro driver in a miata can smoke me driving a ZR1. What's the point.

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
So it only took a year to get to the same place as M3/E90 post.

Replace IS with 335i/M3 and we'll end up in the same pointless arguments.
So true! You can certainly mod an ISX50 to be faster than a F, just like you can with a 335i to an m3, but you will not replicate the unique driving experience in the F. And that's the bottom line. Some of you do not value this, and that's fine, but you should at least understand it.
Old 03-10-09, 06:01 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HKS350
Sure it is. ^^^ The IS350 would only need swaybars to hang. The added weight + poor weight distribution + Undersized tire's = slower track time's. No doubt the IS-F is faster but it's not the best handling of the IS's. But the IS250 is. So a more fair comparsion would be a Stock IS-F to a modified IS250.
Originally Posted by lobuxracer
At "A Taste of Lexus" the pros were driving IS250s when we "students" were driving IS-Fs on the lead/follow. The 250s had F-Sport mods. It was HARD to keep up on a tight track despite having 200 more hp.
Originally Posted by primecut

It's a waste of time to discuss driver skill and how it bridges the gap. I'm sure a pro driver in a miata can smoke me driving a ZR1. What's the point.

So true! You can certainly mod an ISX50 to be faster than a F, just like you can with a 335i to an m3, but you will not replicate the unique driving experience in the F. And that's the bottom line. Some of you do not value this, and that's fine, but you should at least understand it.

This thread is completely pointless, and is getting nowhere. Someone makes a claim, and that claim is disproven, and so someone makes a new argument to prove that the F is better.

First, it was assumed that the F being better meant that it was faster. But, like HKS said, the 250 can likely compete with the F on the right track. This is confirmed by Lance's fact that F-sport modded 250's were the "pace" vehicles at the Taste of Lexus events. Further, the instructors themselves eluded to this opinion at the TOL event, depending on the track layout.

So, primecut changed the arguments and claimed that the driver/car combo doesn't matter, and instead it's the driving experience.

So now we're on the argument of the unique driving experience. My 350 gives a different experience than the F, but it's one that I desire more. I don't need the ***** out, massive power of the F that I can barely use on the street, especially while I'm stuck in stop and go traffic. Or, once I'm on the highway, that big ol V8 power doesn't do much for me once I'm cruising at 65 mph.

The 350 gives me the driving experience that I desire. But, better yet, my mustang GT convertible gives me a MUCH better driving experience than the F (in my opinion).

So, is my mustang convertible better than the F now???

Plain and Simple: the F is DIFFERENT. That's all. Is it better than xxxxx car??? That depends on what you desire in a car. Like Lance said: get what makes you happy.

And yes, I've driven the F before.

Last edited by mikes rx; 03-10-09 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-10-09, 06:56 AM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikes rx
This thread is completely pointless, and is getting nowhere. Someone makes a claim, and that claim is disproven, and so someone makes a new argument to prove that the F is better.

First, it was assumed that the F being better meant that it was faster. But, like HKS said, the 250 can likely compete with the F on the right track. This is confirmed by Lance's fact that F-sport modded 250's were the "pace" vehicles at the Taste of Lexus events. Further, the instructors themselves eluded to this opinion at the TOL event, depending on the track layout.

So, primecut changed the arguments and claimed that the driver/car combo doesn't matter, and instead it's the driving experience.

So now we're on the argument of the unique driving experience. My 350 gives a different experience than the F, but it's one that I desire more. I don't need the ***** out, massive power of the F that I can barely use on the street, especially while I'm stuck in stop and go traffic. Or, once I'm on the highway, that big ol V8 power doesn't do much for me once I'm cruising at 65 mph.

The 350 gives me the driving experience that I desire. But, better yet, my mustang GT convertible gives me a MUCH better driving experience than the F (in my opinion).

So, is my mustang convertible better than the F now???

Plain and Simple: the F is DIFFERENT. That's all. Is it better than xxxxx car??? That depends on what you desire in a car. Like Lance said: get what makes you happy.

And yes, I've driven the F before.
I agree with what you are saying. Different strokes for different folks so to speak.

Case in point. I traded a 2007 Mustang GT that had the Ford Racing Brembo brake kit, Ford Racing suspension package, GT500 wheels and tires as well as an exhaust and intake for my F and couldn't be happier. The F better fits what I wanted in a performance car. In your case it is the Mustang and I would never fault you for that.
Old 03-10-09, 12:35 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Please lock this thread and next, pull out a shotgun, point it at my head and shoot me. I'm going down to my local Lexus dealer and trading in my F for an IS350 with every F Sport upgrade so I don't have to hang out in the IS-F forum and listen to this nonsense. Driving experience, pro drivers vs students, wtf is going on in here If you take the same driver and put him on a road course with a stock IS-F and an IS350 with coilovers, the IS-F will stomp the 350 every time! That is what this thred is about! Nothing more, nothing less..............this is not an opinion it is fact. So to play along with the nonsense in here, I posted up a video with a stage 3 Dinan tuned 335i (with more than 170 ft. lbs of torque over the M3) vs a stock M3 and although the results are close, the M3 still outperformed the 335i. But somehow by an act of God, a stock IS350 with coilovers alone is the same as an IS-F!!!!! It's like talking to a wall..........I quit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gGzq4Pyv8Q

You can send your letters and prayers to the ER where 8speed is recovering from a severe gunshot wound to the head and is currently on life supports
Old 03-10-09, 12:46 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Axtellz
you're joking, right?

"Oh no sir, Festivus is all too real "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS7-j...eature=related
Old 03-10-09, 12:54 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 8speed
Please lock this thread and next, pull out a shotgun, point it at my head and shoot me. I'm going down to my local Lexus dealer and trading in my F for an IS350 with every F Sport upgrade so I don't have to hang out in the IS-F forum and listen to this nonsense. Driving experience, pro drivers vs students, wtf is going on in here If you take the same driver and put him on a road course with a stock IS-F and an IS350 with coilovers, the IS-F will stomp the 350 every time! That is what this thred is about! Nothing more, nothing less..............this is not an opinion it is fact. So to play along with the nonsense in here, I posted up a video with a stage 3 Dinan tuned 335i (with more than 170 ft. lbs of torque over the M3) vs a stock M3 and although the results are close, the M3 still outperformed the 335i. But somehow by an act of God, a stock IS350 with coilovers alone is the same as an IS-F!!!!! It's like talking to a wall..........I quit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gGzq4Pyv8Q

You can send your letters and prayers to the ER where 8speed is recovering from a severe gunshot wound to the head and is currently on life supports
I'm not here to argue your point, but different types of tracks will suit different types of cars. I'm guessing on a very tight track that keeps straight line speed down a lighter and more nimble car would be more favorable over a heavier car with big power.

I've never driven a 250 or 350 so I have no opinion on how these cars run compared to the F, but I have zero regrets buying an F. It performs well enough for my commute to and from work and for the occasional backroad blast.
Old 03-10-09, 12:54 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

If you take the same driver and put him on a road course with a stock IS-F and an IS350 with coilovers, the IS-F will stomp the 350 every time!
Really? Which track? There are thousands of them out there and each one has different characteristic.

Daytona? Yeah, the IS F will trump the F-sport IS350.
California speed way road course? It'll be close.
Street of Willow? It'll be even closer.

Apparently you did not get the "small/medium" in the statement "a F-sport IS350 should be able to hang with the IS F in a small/medium size road course". Take Street of Willow for example, one can barely go 100 mph on the front straightaway and probably 80 mph at the back, how and where would the IS F use its power advantage over a F-sport IS350?

Don't believe me? You provide the car, I'll go get a pro driver and let's meet up at SOW.
Old 03-10-09, 01:22 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

I have been reading some crazy BS in CL about how an IS350 with suspension is no different than an IS-F

So let's here from the IS-F owners in here, what are your thoughts? Those who have owned/driven both cars (myself included) I would especially like to hear your insights
Originally Posted by ffpower
Really? Which track? There are thousands of them out there and each one has different characteristic.

Daytona? Yeah, the IS F will trump the F-sport IS350.
California speed way road course? It'll be close.
Street of Willow? It'll be even closer.

Apparently you did not get the "small/medium" in the statement "a F-sport IS350 should be able to hang with the IS F in a small/medium size road course". Take Street of Willow for example, one can barely go 100 mph on the front straightaway and probably 80 mph at the back, how and where would the IS F use its power advantage over a F-sport IS350?

Don't believe me? You provide the car, I'll go get a pro driver and let's meet up at SOW.
Please read the original thread again. And thanks for pointing out that all tracks are different

Where is the IS-F going to use its power? The entire time on the track. I don't know how else to explain it! You are still accelerating through the straights and out of corners right? So how does a car that is better in every facet of racing not have an advantage?

If a modified 335i with almost the same HP and more than 160 ft. lbs of torque than a stock M3 doesn't quite stack up, what makes you think an IS350 with every bolt on in the book can hang, let alone just adding coilovers?

Almost dead guys, 8speed is about to flatline.....keep the get well cards coming

Last edited by 8speed; 03-10-09 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-10-09, 01:29 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Please read the original thread again. And thanks for pointing out that all tracks are different

Where is the IS-F going to use its power? The entire time on the track, turn in turn out straights, hard braking, responsive steering........I don't know how else to explain it!

If a modified 335i with almost the same HP and more than 160 ft. lbs of torque than a stock M3 doesn't quite stack up, what makes you think an IS350 with every bolt on in the book can hang, let alone just adding coilovers?

Almost dead guys, 8speed is about to flatline.....keep the cars coming
Gheyest thread ever.

Guess we should get rid of our F's and go buy something with less power and is less fun to drive.

A 335i isn't an M3, a C350 isn't a C63, an S4 isn't an RS4 and a 350 isn't an F. Deal with it.
Old 03-10-09, 01:32 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Gheyest thread ever.

Guess we should get rid of our F's and go buy something with less power and is less fun to drive.

A 335i isn't an M3, a C350 isn't a C63, an S4 isn't an RS4 and a 350 isn't an F. Deal with it.

Why are you getting mad at me? ______________________flatlining as we speak!
Old 03-10-09, 01:40 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,383 Posts

This thread is closed.