IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone else hate the nav?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-09, 11:50 PM
Damage
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone else hate the nav?

Aside from the irritating speed lockout, the nav in this thing just sucks. I've used garmins and also acura navs and this nav just gives the weirdest directions. Sometimes it'll suggest I hop on 2 freeways over a 3 mile distance when just staying on the local road would've been quicker and more straight forward. Its update speed sucks too. Many times I'm approaching a split in the freeway and it doesn't tell me which way until I'm about 200 feet away. These are splits that are parallel so you can't tell on the map. This past weekend I entered SF's legion of honor and it took me to SF city college! It also takes too long to recalculate a route.

Gimme an acura navigation instead

/rant
Old 03-09-09, 11:57 PM
AllenISF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMFG!!!! I could not agree more. Before the ISF, I had a 2005 Acura RL and the nav was seriously 100 times better. Besides what you already stated, there are also a few places I tried to enter the address for, but it had no idea it existed.

Also when it wants you to pick one of the 3 routes to take, they are just lines on a map. No details on what each of those routes are. How can I pick between 3 lines on a map of an area I don't know? If I knew the areas I wouldn't need nav! Am I missing something?
Old 03-10-09, 07:30 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

yea it does kinda suck, but i guess i still like it better than my new tomtom or older alpine blackbird which was crap -nav i had. The 3 routes and just the line and no info thing kinda pisses me off too because and the only way to get around is to zoom and kinda make out the best route possible. I remember 3 weeks ago i had to be at a place at certain time and i was running late and nav told me to get off the highway get on a smaller road and follow that it was making me take the slow roads with lights, the highway is parallel. Well even the best navigations have some issues i have yet to see a really good one
Originally Posted by AllenISF
OMFG!!!! I could not agree more. Before the ISF, I had a 2005 Acura RL and the nav was seriously 100 times better. Besides what you already stated, there are also a few places I tried to enter the address for, but it had no idea it existed.

Also when it wants you to pick one of the 3 routes to take, they are just lines on a map. No details on what each of those routes are. How can I pick between 3 lines on a map of an area I don't know? If I knew the areas I wouldn't need nav! Am I missing something?
Old 03-10-09, 08:38 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Damage
Aside from the irritating speed lockout, the nav in this thing just sucks. I've used garmins and also acura navs and this nav just gives the weirdest directions. Sometimes it'll suggest I hop on 2 freeways over a 3 mile distance when just staying on the local road would've been quicker and more straight forward. Its update speed sucks too. Many times I'm approaching a split in the freeway and it doesn't tell me which way until I'm about 200 feet away. These are splits that are parallel so you can't tell on the map. This past weekend I entered SF's legion of honor and it took me to SF city college! It also takes too long to recalculate a route.

Gimme an acura navigation instead

/rant

this is way better than mercedes though i had an SL55 amg and the nav really sucks! also i think you can adjust lots of those settings to help distance to the next street.
Old 03-10-09, 09:24 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there an update for our nav? I keep seeing commercials for the new RX and it looks really nice, How can we get that navigation UPGRADE?
Old 03-10-09, 09:58 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

the only update we can get, if available is the map update, which will not make it look like the RX. They have a totally new system i think
Originally Posted by fleadog99
Is there an update for our nav? I keep seeing commercials for the new RX and it looks really nice, How can we get that navigation UPGRADE?
Old 03-10-09, 10:05 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought they could do firmware upgrades, so the only updates they can do is MAp updates? oh well, I hardly use it anyway.
Old 03-10-09, 10:27 AM
Damage
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh and when you're in split view with the directions in the right panel, why not let users scroll through the whole direction list on that screen?! Why am I also entering street info in first before city?! I hate having to enter street info and then it gives me this long *** list of cities I have to dig through or I have to then press another button just to enter in city name. So backass.
Old 03-10-09, 11:41 AM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Our Nav is not bad (as the one in the Merc. or to a lesser extend BMW or Audi) but it is not as good as the one int the Honda and Acura, I have to agree that the Nav in my '05 Accord was more intuitive, more ergonomic and overall better than the Lexus one until, maybe, the next RX.

As for firmware update, yes, as part of the Nav map update there is often some minor software tweaks (For instance, for the new IS and GS, they remove the need to press a button on the Nav screen during the boot up safety notice and replace it with a pause with the '07 update). But it will not turn our 5th Gen Nav into a 6th Gen Nav.
Old 03-10-09, 01:58 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

the RX really is kinda a risky design.. it looks very very modern on the inside.. although i really do like it... and yes.. its the next generation nav system
Old 03-10-09, 03:56 PM
foup
Driver

Yep, no one knows (especially in Japan) how to write good UI software and the nav/phone/address book/etc system in Lexus & Toyota is no exception. Just look at the zillion-page manual to get a hint. As a result, I use probably 5% of its features. Unfortunately, this is unlikely to change any time soon...
Old 03-10-09, 04:10 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I really haven't used the Nav that much to say I like or dislike it. The few times I have used it, it worked well. Those times were in the city so it had plenty of time driving in traffic to think ahead and give me ample notification to turn one way or the other The time time I was using it on a freeway, it did seem slow to give me directions and reroute me. I might see if I can get a nav update from a buddy of mine, I'll let you know
Old 03-10-09, 10:36 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

and i thought it was just me, but the nav andd just the overall system sucks *****. its a bit confusiing, and is no where as easy as a acura nav unit. i love the way acura set thiers up, but i love the lexus screen quality.
Old 03-10-09, 10:43 PM
GSracerRY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DFLORES
this is way better than mercedes though i had an SL55 amg and the nav really sucks! also i think you can adjust lots of those settings to help distance to the next street.
I have to agree!! The Mercedes have is the worst. The nav in our CLK55 is the most useless screen I've ever used. The nav won't even take you to an address...just takes you to the block then let's you find it yourself. After using that nav, I think anything is an upgrade!
Old 03-10-09, 11:40 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSracerRY
I have to agree!! The Mercedes have is the worst. The nav in our CLK55 is the most useless screen I've ever used. The nav won't even take you to an address...just takes you to the block then let's you find it yourself. After using that nav, I think anything is an upgrade!
Ha, I have to agree. The nav in my E63 is the one thing I dislike about the car.

Quick Reply: Anyone else hate the nav?