IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

artisan kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-09, 11:54 PM
cobra8787
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda looks like a STS turbo kit....Does the price included a rental car?
Old 03-15-09, 06:56 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oztiks
$15k for 150whp? Not sure that's such a deal...?
This is like the LMS kit where people thought it wasn't worth $5500 for 50hp, I still say its worth every cent!
Old 03-15-09, 08:37 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Wait. I didnt read anything about them changing anything inside the motor. No rods or pistons like said on youtube. Is the kit for stock motor?
Old 03-15-09, 10:03 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Is the kit for stock motor?

I believe so, Im calling them this afternoon to get more details, But the IS-F motor is already pretty solid, this kit is really only running like 5-6 psi with a 150 HP gain, pretty redunck if you ask me
Old 03-15-09, 12:50 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I noticed for the rear part where the turbos are...they took off the aerodynamic covers...does this affect the car at top end speeds?
Old 03-15-09, 02:21 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the rear covers are off simply for the installation but are put back on when finished. Also, like I previously mentioned, I think they are fabbing up some aero plates that will protect the turbo's from water/rain.

Also, the bottom end and head are bone stock...

Peter
Old 03-15-09, 05:09 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So many questions and Artisan does not have the decency to reply to them.
Post a thread, get people interested and don't answer questions b/c it may stop people buying the product when someone with knowledge points out a possible flaw. Well that is the way I am taking it and until they answer some of those concerns I would stay away from this kit.
Old 03-15-09, 11:31 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

what i would like to know is, when boost kicks in? like how much lag is expected? with the turbos being so far away from the engine i would there there would be some down side to rear mounting, as well as the distance the air has to travel AND the amout of tubing space the turbos have to compress, i would think there would be a decent amount of lag in this set up?

IF that is the case....

would a 2-step/Anti lag system be viable in this set up?
Old 03-15-09, 11:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,054 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
No one knows and all Lobux can tell you is what he "thinks" as this is a new product. IMO I think the tranny will be fine. Look at all the Supras out there running with double or more hp on their automatics.
This is a really bad comparison. Supra autos don't hold twice stock power unless they're rebuilt specifically to do that. They also kill their sprague clutch pretty regularly which is one of the reasons you'll see a domestic auto in a hardcore Supra instead of the Aisin gearbox. They generally don't take much over 500 hp (450 ft-lbs) for very long before they end up at Sound Performance (or someone else's hotrod transmission shop).

The Getrag 233 (Toyota V-160/161) is a complete anomaly in the history of Toyota's offerings. It is one stout gearbox. Can't say that at all about the A340E.

Given Toyota's history, I wouldn't be terribly optimistic about this gearbox being happy with much more than 20% additional torque. BTW, your gearbox doesn't care about HP, only torque, same as your differential.
Old 03-18-09, 01:09 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Got in contact with Artisan to ask these questions....

"a few quick questions on your IS-F twin rear mount turbo kit:
1. Is this kit safe as a daily driver set up with the Filters being so close to the gound? wouldnt that suck up water or other harmfull supstance?

2.when boost kicks in? like how much lag is expected? with the turbos being so far away from the engine i would guess there would be some down side to rear mounting, as well as the distance the air has to travel AND the amount of tubing space the turbos have to compress, i would think there would be a decent amount of lag in this set up?
IF that is the case....would a 2-step/Anti lag system be viable in this set up?

3. what parts and labor is included exactly in the cost?and my i have a parts list of the parts you use for the fuel and ignition altercations?

4. would it be worth buying an aftermarket Header/exhaust set up before i would purchase the kit? If yes, what parts get reused in the application of the TT rear setup? If no, what modifications/add ons do you make to the stock exhaust? Thank you for your time "

Their message back
"First, thanks for the interest in the Artisan IS-f twin turbo kit. As you know Artisan has been a leader in innovative designs and turbo configurations. With some of the industry’s leading engineers we are able to have the kit remote mount to benefit from heat displacement and space restraints. Using a unique pipe configuration with properly match ball bearing turbochargers we are able to eliminate virtually any turbo lag.

The length of the pipe actually assist in dropping inlet air temps thus lowering the detonation threshold which is needed with a high compression engine such as the is-f.

All tuning is handle by remapping the oem ecu. This is done in house with our proprietary software. You would benefit from a header setup on the car but it truly is not necessary. We replace all the exhaust after the catalytic convertor so there is no reason to purchase this if you intend on going the turbo route.

Thanks for your interest and please do not hesitate to ask additional questions if you need to.

Thanks

Team Artisan"

Hopfully that can answer some questions
Old 03-18-09, 07:53 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobra8787
Kinda looks like a STS turbo kit....Does the price included a rental car?
I agree looks just like the STS set-up. I know the Vette guys were unhappy with the STS because of the turbo lag, and eventually most changed to some other form of FI.
Old 03-18-09, 09:00 AM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

They never answered the filter question, they just poke around it JDM Muscle!
Old 03-18-09, 09:19 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2turbo4u
They never answered the filter question, they just poke around it JDM Muscle!
Agreed my nig, But i belive the best way to fix that problem is reroute the filters to Inside the trunk, there is a little grate on the drivers side under the rear bumper, pop that baby out to allow more airflow and i think you would be safe
Old 03-25-09, 01:29 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

While looking for some silicon sleeves today I came across an interesting air filter with splash guard. Maybe Artisan could use something similar for their setup.
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...077f428c07adc2