DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So whats next a GTR?
Old 03-18-09, 06:46 PM
BLKnWhtISF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear hopefully that doesn't happen to me!
Old 03-18-09, 07:01 PM
newly_Manu
Driver School Candidate

Hi thanks for the replies. To answer your questions:

1) My problems was with Lexus corp. The dealer actually helped me in presenting my case to prove that I didn't abuse the car. Right there in the arbitration Lexus realized their mistake of bringing up the claim and said they errored somewhere (yeah right - I didn't buy that, I had to fight their claim using the dealer's comments. And the arbitrators even had their own mechanic look into Lexus's claims. He saw no evidence of abuse. Then they decided to back off).

2) Hi Reciprocal. Here's the timeline - I pre-ordered in Nov 2008 but the dealer wasn't getting it till Dec 3rd. The problems began in Dec. For the holidays in Dec I put like 1,800 miles visiting family in Florida. The first fix started in Jan. The second fix in Feb. Right after the second fix the problem still existed so I started the arbitration process and stopped driving it (because once you make a claim, you drive the vehicle at your own risk and the manufacturer will not be held responsible if anything happened to me from a powertrain failure - this stuff was in the paperwork) - The car was still drivable. My case actually took a month to process. My case had priority because I had a powertrain problem and it affects the safety of the vehicle. Lexus had one more chance to fix the issue ... in the end they couldn't find the problem.

3) Lexus can resell the car in the market only if they are able to fix it - but they are required to provide a disclosure to the next owner as the car now has an early repair history that lowered it's market value. But I don't know what kind of person would buy a $60k sports car with 4500 miles that was a buyback. Seriously a market like this wants clean luxury sports cars with a good history. Lexus noted that they planned to ship it back to Japan to be taken apart and scrapped but that's not a gurantee. (Sorry I didn't get photos before they flatbed it away. I had to give it up today cause of "liability" issues - but seriously I wanted to drive it one more time - tis a sweet car - LOL).

4) I parked in a flat garage. My driveway is a downhill, but it's not too steep. I sometimes parked it on the driveway. Was this a problem?

5) I know what you mean primecut. Lexus is actually near the top of the list of manufacturers with the least amount of problems per 100 cars..Well away from the industrial average. I wanted to replace my F with another F. But we caught Lexus trying to pull a fast one...LOL, so that turned me off.

I'll keep u guys updated on what I decide to buy. Isn't the M3 a manual transmission only - or is that the M6? The Nissan GTR looks promising - thanks badpinoy for pointing that out. I'll go check it out.

Last edited by newly_Manu; 03-18-09 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-18-09, 07:11 PM
YellowCopy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Ouch.. now that’s a story....

The car will probably end up at a Lexus tech training center for breakdown of engine or etc, to hopefully pin point the exact problem..
Maybe an engineer or two will get involved.

Or at least that's where I am hoping it ends up..
From my experiance they just auction them. I had hoped the same when I had a trd supercharged tC go under arbitration. Blown S/C at 11k, blown motor/2nd S/C at 14k, third S/C failure at 17k. The person that ended up with it contacted me through the dealer, at 20k the ECU went out. Toyota spent 20+k on warranty work and other 20k to buy it back from me. I never heard what happened after that.

Sucky situation, glad that you ended up ok!
Old 03-18-09, 08:01 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Well done!

- The M3 has a Dual Clutch Transmission also.. so you can drive it in auto or manual mode.
Old 03-18-09, 08:13 PM
TexxIS
Pole Position

that really sucks man. so sorry you had a crappy experience with lexus.
Old 03-18-09, 08:43 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

That's a bummer. But at the same time it's good you got things to work in your favor.

Do you happen to remember the last 4 digits of the vin on your car? I have a 2009 Starfire w/Black as well, but it was built in October 2008 and delivered to me Dec 12. I now have about 6,200 miles but fortunately I have not had any issues to date.
Old 03-18-09, 09:10 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

my car will probably end up like your car because i drive it pretty hard...i know everytime i get on the freeway it's pedal to the metal until i hit 80ish....i <3 my IS F....good luck with your next car.
Old 03-18-09, 09:43 PM
archie
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear about the lose. i went through a similiar situation with infiniti and that is how i ended up in the f. it is cool to hear that your dealer helped you through the case though. shows that some of the dealers are looking out for the interest of the customer and not just to make a bunch of money. good luck with whatever you decide to choose, be it another lexus or not.
Old 03-20-09, 11:20 AM
XIS350
Driver

Cool

usually when you add a different form of liquid in the gas tank it is undetectable by the diagnostic computer at the dealer and the car will behave like it has some mechanical problem, I think someone did a nasty one on you.
Old 03-20-09, 02:18 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that's a really unfortunate situation. I haven't heard anything else like this happening to other F's so it is really interesting to hear the problems you were having. It stinks that Lexus was trying to blame you but at least you got your money back. Keep us updated with your new purchase and thanks for coming forward and making us aware of the situation. I would also like to know your VIN number if you could find it.
Old 03-21-09, 03:24 PM
stash84
Rookie

Originally Posted by XIS350
usually when you add a different form of liquid in the gas tank it is undetectable by the diagnostic computer at the dealer and the car will behave like it has some mechanical problem, I think someone did a nasty one on you.
good point ! i didnt think about that..

Good Luck with your next purchase and vin # plz
Old 03-21-09, 03:48 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
Wow, that's a really unfortunate situation. I haven't heard anything else like this happening to other F's so it is really interesting to hear the problems you were having. It stinks that Lexus was trying to blame you but at least you got your money back. Keep us updated with your new purchase and thanks for coming forward and making us aware of the situation. I would also like to know your VIN number if you could find it.
Post up the vin number if you got it and maybe from time to time carfax it to see if she still alive in the states, and what the carfax says (lemon law buy back)? We got to remember that the manufacturer wants to sell cars not buy cars, hence trade in value?
Old 03-21-09, 04:07 PM
"Lexappeal
Driver

Very unfortunate situation...I am actually looking at buying a Starfire Pearl 08 up at Lexus of Annapolis it has 2,700 miles on it...you had me thinkin for a sec. til you said yours had over 4500 miles.
Old 03-21-09, 05:30 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wish my car would do this i would get a GTR!

Quick Reply: Lexus had to buy back my ISF