IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

DIY: IS-F front brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-11, 04:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

You can reuse them. Get some of the Brembo goop though, it's copper based and definitely the premium stuff. Unless you have a jar of copper based anti-seize compound, then you're golden. (no pun intended)
Old 04-20-11, 05:26 PM
BB/F
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my Carbotechs on since summer of 2010. Recently, I've been getting loud popping sounds when I hit the brakes. I'm going to pull the pads and see if I can find anything that stands out. I wanted to see if anyone else experienced this?
Old 04-24-11, 06:40 AM
BLKFIN
Driver School Candidate

Great DIY. I had this open in the garage on the iPad and the install was a breeze. Thanks for taking the time to put this together!
Old 04-25-11, 10:15 PM
eXstasy
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Get some of the Brembo goop though, it's copper based and definitely the premium stuff. Unless you have a jar of copper based anti-seize compound, then you're golden. (no pun intended)
Where can we get the Brembo goop? I tried searching for it but am not sure what search terms to use for it.

Is Copper Anti-Seize the same? I've seen conflicting answers for this. Thanks.
Old 04-30-11, 10:03 PM
lx470man
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea where do you get the brembo goop? i just bought some stuff at autozone, i thought just any anti squeal lube was ok, guess not?
Old 05-01-11, 07:16 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BB/F
I've had my Carbotechs on since summer of 2010. Recently, I've been getting loud popping sounds when I hit the brakes. I'm going to pull the pads and see if I can find anything that stands out. I wanted to see if anyone else experienced this?
Carbotechs, up front only, have been working spectacularly well for me.
Old 05-01-11, 09:37 AM
BB/F
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Carbotechs, up front only, have been working spectacularly well for me.
Me too. I pulled the pads, cleaned the old anti-squeal lube off, and reapplied new stuff. Noise is gone now.
Old 05-01-11, 05:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by eXstasy
Where can we get the Brembo goop? I tried searching for it but am not sure what search terms to use for it.

Is Copper Anti-Seize the same? I've seen conflicting answers for this. Thanks.
Originally Posted by lx470man
yea where do you get the brembo goop? i just bought some stuff at autozone, i thought just any anti squeal lube was ok, guess not?
Lexus sells it for $18.81 list price in a 5 gram tube.
When applying the disc brake grease, use the grease enclosed with a front disc brake pad kit or supplied grease (Part No. 90998-94072) or equivalent.
This is Brembo part number 04.2954.55.

Copper based anti-seize is an equivalent.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 05-01-11 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-26-11, 09:17 PM
lx470man
Advanced

OK, this is and old thread but I have to post this. Thank you very much caymandive, I just did my brake pads install using this thread as a guideline and it went so smooth. I must just thank you again for the DIY and pics, this is the reason why I love forums. Just saved my *** a bunch of $$$ doing it myself. Also I installed the Project Mu pads and I must say I'm in love with them already. Doing a break in with the 60-0 stops like 15 times and driving for like 30 mins around town with stop and go, there is literally like a flew flakes of dust only! I'm in love. The bit is as good as stock but as others have said is not as grabby as stock. Project Mu for LIFE!
Old 07-01-11, 11:28 PM
96817isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is ne one else or is just me that my brake peddle feels a little mushy after i changed the pads..??

fyi...diy on the rear is so easy i just did mine all i had to do was just take out the two pins and the pads slipped right out after pulling them back enough so the new pads would fit in..
Old 07-15-11, 03:26 PM
lx470man
Advanced

no dealer in the bay area sells brembo grease. They only use the Toyota grease that is not copper based.

Is there a online site from a dealership that i could buy the brembo stuff? My dealers are all ghetto, doesn't even sell brembo grease. Apparently used just regular Toyota grease that is also used on Camry WTF!
Old 07-15-11, 05:34 PM
lx470man
Advanced

i just called my dealer again and they only have Toyota branded grease which they use to do on ISF all the time. It is freaking $42 for grease!, it is a large amount but who needs this kind of amount! Is there anything else you guys can suggest to get at a local parts store? Cause I just used some cheap old any grease from auto zone and now my brakes are squealing like crazy when using light pressure. I have to redo my brakes again!! ahhh I want to make sure I use the right stuff, don't want to do this a 3rd time.
Old 07-18-11, 02:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by lx470man
i just called my dealer again and they only have Toyota branded grease which they use to do on ISF all the time. It is freaking $42 for grease!, it is a large amount but who needs this kind of amount! Is there anything else you guys can suggest to get at a local parts store? Cause I just used some cheap old any grease from auto zone and now my brakes are squealing like crazy when using light pressure. I have to redo my brakes again!! ahhh I want to make sure I use the right stuff, don't want to do this a 3rd time.
Why not go to the parts department and order it? Part No. 90998-94072. Or just use one of the others I linked here.
Old 07-29-11, 01:07 PM
NERD42
Driver

Just orderd a set of Hawk Ceramics and a set of Centric Cryo rotors (well orderd on 7/7 and just got the email they are shipping out the rotors today) for the front.
I have read good things about the Hawk pads and seams other brands are kind of skeptical compared to the OEM pad. Plus there is very little rotor options for us; they are one of the few companies that also offer the rear rotor that's why I'm going to try out the fronts.

I got a great deal thanks to my rep for the parts so if they suck then I will not feel to bad. I will be installing them myself thanks to the great DIY write up....I cant thank you enough, great job.
Old 08-02-11, 02:58 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lobux...
can you please clear something up for me
is this the brembo stuff? Part No. 90998-94072
or the toyota stuff?
I called lexus and the listing that comes up for that part number says just grease and he couldn't tell me which

Last edited by hahahaf; 08-02-11 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY: IS-F front brake pads