IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

DIY: IS-F front brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-12, 09:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

You're planning on running race pads for street use?

Wow. Just wow.
Old 03-14-12, 11:08 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You're planning on running race pads for street use?

Wow. Just wow.
I talked with Carbotech and they said that it's only not reccomended only due to noise and dust, but their brake compounds are "different" from other brands in that they work when colder and don't have to be "super hot" to grab like other race pads..... I had a long discussion with their guy and he said it would NOT be a problem to use on the street... If I have issues that aren't livable for DD street use... I can always change them out pretty easy right?
So.... can you answer question #1 for me? that's what I really want to know.... (I found your post on the other thread finally regarding bolt torque specs.. 58ftlbs for caliper bolts and 22ftlbs for bridge bolts)
Old 03-15-12, 09:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

You can street drive them. I've driven them home from the track, but you'll be bouncing off the belts with a very light pedal because they're so sticky. I thought about running them on the street, but the bite is so aggressive you'll regret it pretty quickly. AMHIK. They are noisy, but they're only embarrassing when they're cold, and they're always cold when street driving. It isn't possible to get the brakes hot driving on the street unless you're left foot braking with the right foot down hard.

The "grease" goes between the anti-squeal plate and the pad backing. I never run the backing plate with race pads, only with street pads.
Old 03-16-12, 07:40 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

I never run the backing plate with race pads, only with street pads.
why's that? (pls excuse the ignorance)
Old 03-17-12, 08:03 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
why's that? (pls excuse the ignorance)
The backing plates are for noise reduction. Race pads are only noisy at street speeds. Once they get up to temp, they're not noisy at all. Well, you can't hear them over the car for sure. They might be noisy, but you'll never hear it with the windows down and a helmet on.
Old 03-21-12, 03:26 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Are any of you guys having any squeaking issues? I recently changed my rear pads and don't know what is causing this issue. I thought the squeaking was happening due to low rear pads. I have all OEM pads. Should this issue be directed to the dealers attention?
Old 03-21-12, 04:06 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OneSiCkF
Are any of you guys having any squeaking issues? I recently changed my rear pads and don't know what is causing this issue. I thought the squeaking was happening due to low rear pads. I have all OEM pads. Should this issue be directed to the dealers attention?
i believe there is an updated part number for the rear pads, not sure which pads you put in.
Old 03-21-12, 04:42 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

The most annoying part is that I can't tell if it's the front or rear squeaking. They also don't squeak all the time. They usually squeak at low speeds.
Originally Posted by streetx
i believe there is an updated part number for the rear pads, not sure which pads you put in.
Old 03-22-12, 09:39 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

Did you do it yourself or take it to the dealer? If you did it yourself, did you remember to put anti-squeal grease in between the shims and brake pad backing plate?
Old 03-23-12, 09:10 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Yes and yes. I made sure the grease was pretty well spread between the shim and pad. Don't know what else is causing this.
Originally Posted by Bulls23337
Did you do it yourself or take it to the dealer? If you did it yourself, did you remember to put anti-squeal grease in between the shims and brake pad backing plate?
Old 03-23-12, 10:12 AM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

Yes and yes. I made sure the grease was pretty well spread between the shim and pad. Don't know what else is causing this.
Did you clean off all of the brake dust on the shims, brackets, and pins? I changed my pads with OEMs and used the Brembo goop. By far the Brembo supplied goop is the best stuff to use. My pads used to squeak like crazy before I changed them. Now my car is completely silent under all speeds and levels of braking.
Old 03-24-12, 03:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

+1 on the Brembo goop. I just got done working on the brakes because they were making a weird noise like I had a loose caliper bolt. Put the B goop on the front pads, and worked the brakes a bit - noise vanished!

BTW - anyone tracking their car - buy a set of replacement seals (Sewell has an unbeatable price on this) before you need them. I took off my calipers to retorque the mount bolts and when I removed the pads, pieces of seal dropped off. They're completely cooked and literally falling apart.
Old 03-24-12, 05:24 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

+1 on the Brembo goop. I just got done working on the brakes because they were making a weird noise like I had a loose caliper bolt. Put the B goop on the front pads, and worked the brakes a bit - noise vanished!

BTW - anyone tracking their car - buy a set of replacement seals (Sewell has an unbeatable price on this) before you need them. I took off my calipers to retorque the mount bolts and when I removed the pads, pieces of seal dropped off. They're completely cooked and literally falling apart.
Two questions....
1. I recently ordered the Brembo brake grease from my local lexus dealer... I believe it was $36! Will this only be a 5 gram tube? How many brake pad "swaps" should I expect to get out of such a small amount?
2. What do the seals look like and where do they go exactly? will it require expertise to replace them?
Old 03-24-12, 05:31 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

^^^ Something's not right on the $36 price.....

How many tubes did you order??? If you ordered QTY of 2, then the price makes sense...
Plus you will end up with 4 tubes total.

The OEM Lexus part number is: 90998‑94072

You get two tubes in the same bag when you order QTY of 1. It should be NO more than $15-$18 bucks..!!

You only need two tubes for all 4 corners... Plus you will have extra left over... A little goes a long way..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-24-12 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-30-13, 04:58 PM
ksoazn
Driver

have anyone try wagner mx1365
any idea, i just need pads to daily use but voiding dealer price

Quick Reply: DIY: IS-F front brake pads