IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

DIY: IS-F front brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09, 09:54 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
The following is a direct cut and paste from Carbotech's (Mike Jr.) email back to me:

"It took some reading to get to the bottom of things on that thread, but I managed to do it. OK. I don't know what brand ceramic pads that this guy bought from raceshopper, but they weren't Carbotech's.
Ceramic pads are NO GOOD for stopping power and do not have a very good heat range. That is why the amount of ceramic in the Bobcat pads is only a small part of the compound in the makeup of the pad. A Ceramic, Carbon, Kevlar base is what runs throughout the product line in Carbotech brakes. The 1521/Bobcat street pad has a 900deg F+ rating, and could have taken the heat from that guys two stops from 120 MPH down, he would have been getting close to the temp threshold, but unless it was in August in 90 deg F+, he should not have overheated them. Now, did you notice where the hot spots occurred? right after each of the cross drilled holes in the center of the rotor. The hot spots were simply buildup, which he "magically" cured with the OEM pads. The change in compounds simply cleaned off the rotor because it is a high iron content pad (which most are). Going with a ceramic pad, will give you a quiet, and almost zero visible dust pad, but the stopping power is terrible, and the heat rating is very low.
The guy who wants to try the Ferodo's, if they make them for the IS-F, will still have dust issue's and they are not a rotor friendly compound."

Hope this helps.
He seems to know his stuff pretty well. Thanks for the info. I can tell you the stock pads are fantastic. I did about 7 stops from almost 120mph yesterday at the drag strip with no fade.
Old 11-24-09, 02:30 PM
Jonsleeper
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hblexus07
Has anyone tried the Hawk Ceramic pads? If so what is your evaluation?

I have still not given up on trying to reduce the brake dust by going to ceramic. But Caymans experience is certainly food for thought.
I have the Hawk Ceramics pads on my Clk55 AMG. Great stopping power and less dust. Hawks make the best pads! OEMs too much dust and eats up the rotors.
Old 12-14-09, 12:23 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The following is a direct cut and paste from Carbotech's (Mike Jr.) email back to me:

"It took some reading to get to the bottom of things on that thread, but I managed to do it. OK. I don't know what brand ceramic pads that this guy bought from raceshopper, but they weren't Carbotech's.
Ceramic pads are NO GOOD for stopping power and do not have a very good heat range. That is why the amount of ceramic in the Bobcat pads is only a small part of the compound in the makeup of the pad. A Ceramic, Carbon, Kevlar base is what runs throughout the product line in Carbotech brakes. The 1521/Bobcat street pad has a 900deg F+ rating, and could have taken the heat from that guys two stops from 120 MPH down, he would have been getting close to the temp threshold, but unless it was in August in 90 deg F+, he should not have overheated them. Now, did you notice where the hot spots occurred? right after each of the cross drilled holes in the center of the rotor. The hot spots were simply buildup, which he "magically" cured with the OEM pads. The change in compounds simply cleaned off the rotor because it is a high iron content pad (which most are). Going with a ceramic pad, will give you a quiet, and almost zero visible dust pad, but the stopping power is terrible, and the heat rating is very low.
The guy who wants to try the Ferodo's, if they make them for the IS-F, will still have dust issue's and they are not a rotor friendly compound."

Hope this helps.
JK,

You have had these pads on now for awhile can you update your opinion now that you have put on some miles.

Thanks,

G
Old 12-15-09, 07:01 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

JK,

You have had these pads on now for awhile can you update your opinion now that you have put on some miles.

Thanks,

G
Glad to do so. I am quite happy with how they are working out for me. The dust, the reason I replaced the pads in the first place, is so low as to be not noticeable and I would guage it substantially less than the rears. The dust seems to be able to be washed away with hose pressure only. No indication of wheel finish pitting or corrosion but it may be too early to assess properly. The pads are quite silent although I have noticed a bit of low speed "growl" during the first few stops when cold. After that they are silent when coming to a stop. Incidentally, I have changed my stopping technique from long, gradual stops with constant brake pedal pressure to relatively short "higher intensity" stops as I have read in several places that this contributes to longer brake pad life. The surface of the rotors have changed from the dull metallic finish produced by the OEM pads to almost a mirror finish that I experienced in several Porsche automobiles I've owned in the past and I don't know what this means in terms of rotor life or ultimate stopping power. After all is said and done, the Carbotechs seem to be great on the street.
Old 12-15-09, 01:20 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the information, I will most likely make this move also. How many miles did you have on your car when you changed them out? I know you said a few thousand, I have about 6K on mine.
Old 12-15-09, 03:34 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the information, I will most likely make this move also. How many miles did you have on your car when you changed them out? I know you said a few thousand, I have about 6K on mine.
I actually had about 5,600 on mine so yours should be a similar situation to mine. As with everything, cleanliness is next to Godliness when putting it all back together. Good luck with the pads.
Old 12-27-09, 07:25 PM
DaEvilG
Rookie

The front Carbotech Bobcat 1521's for the F are externally red in color? I purchased a set and they're externally red. My pads don't hit the the very top and bottom of the rotor so I have rust marks. I haven't read any other posts similar to the issue I'm having with these pads.
Old 12-28-09, 12:22 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by DaEvilG
The front Carbotech Bobcat 1521's for the F are externally red in color? I purchased a set and they're externally red. My pads don't hit the the very top and bottom of the rotor so I have rust marks. I haven't read any other posts similar to the issue I'm having with these pads.
Mine are black. Both the Bobcats and the XP12s/XP10s I bought are black.
Old 12-28-09, 05:01 AM
BB/F
Rookie

Mine were red as well. Don't think the color really matters. The rust rings are normal if you didn't turn or install new rotors. They will go away.
Old 12-28-09, 07:00 AM
DaEvilG
Rookie

Originally Posted by BB/F
Mine were red as well. Don't think the color really matters. The rust rings are normal if you didn't turn or install new rotors. They will go away.
Thanks lobux & bb/f for your replies. I had my rotors turned. The pads look as if they will never meet the rust marks.
Old 12-28-09, 11:15 AM
BB/F
Rookie

I had a ring on the inside, but I didn't turn mine so I expected it. The ring you are seeing could be the inside and outside edges of the rotor that the pad doesn't touch is the only thing I can think of.
Old 12-28-09, 01:29 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Mine were red also and, of course, the color of the backing material doesn't (shouldn't) matter. I also agree that the rust rings, if present, will go away as soon as the pads bed in and full contact is made.
Old 12-28-09, 02:47 PM
DaEvilG
Rookie

Originally Posted by BB/F
I had a ring on the inside, but I didn't turn mine so I expected it. The ring you are seeing could be the inside and outside edges of the rotor that the pad doesn't touch is the only thing I can think of.
BB/F, the ring is of the inside/outside edges.

Mine were red also and, of course, the color of the backing material doesn't (shouldn't) matter. I also agree that the rust rings, if present, will go away as soon as the pads bed in and full contact is made.
jkeifer3, good to know your's are also red, I was just making sure I received the right product even though the pads came from the oem box, others can now understand there are two colors, red and black. I hope the pads will bed in as you say. Did you turn your rotors?
Old 12-28-09, 03:25 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

jkeifer3, good to know your's are also red, I was just making sure I received the right product even though the pads came from the oem box, others can now understand there are two colors, red and black. I hope the pads will bed in as you say. Did you turn your rotors?
I did not turn my rotors and, just to confirm, I am using the Carbotech Bobcat pads. Good luck!
Old 12-28-09, 03:40 PM
BB/F
Rookie

you are fine then. Its part of the pad that doesnt touch the rotor.

Quick Reply: DIY: IS-F front brake pads