IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

DIY: IS-F front brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 07:41 PM
lx470man
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so are the fronts and rears sorted out yet? also how much are these pads for front set and rear set?
Old 07-19-10, 11:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Yes. I put the revised rears in my car and they work perfectly. List pricing is on Carbotech's site. There are other sites selling them at small discounts and a couple of sites with what appear to be large discounts, but Carbotech says they're not stocking and they'll never receive product. See www.ctbrakes.com for details.
Old 07-24-10, 05:00 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, what lobux said... I just completed my Front & Rear Carbotech install... getting ready for next weekend... and all I can say to ANYONE contemplating 1.) Changing your own Brakes... and 2.) If you should buy Carbotechs... YES AND YES!!!

It honestly takes LONGER to Lift car & Remove tires... than it does to swap out the pads Front & Rear!

Nice Setup from Brembo!

(And I have 2 lifts in my garage... so honestly... once you have the tire off... it's a 5 minute job being careful!)

Order them Carbotechs... and Enjoy these Beasts!

Dave
Old 07-25-10, 11:27 AM
lx470man
Advanced

so it seesms like the Carbotech 1521 Brake Pads are what people are getting. I need some pads and have been confused which ones were less brake dust,perform just like the oem pads and that cost less.

can i ask if the pads front and rear sizes are resolved?
also i see people keep complaining about them squealing. Is it because they didnt apply enough anti-squeal on the shims? or is there a possibility that the pads themselves cause the squeal?

and finally do you guys just order straight from carbotech? or is there a vendor?
Old 07-25-10, 01:17 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To have all 3 is like discovering a Holy Grail.

Originally Posted by lx470man
so it seesms like the Carbotech 1521 Brake Pads are what people are getting. I need some pads and have been confused which ones were less brake dust,perform just like the oem pads and that cost less.

can i ask if the pads front and rear sizes are resolved?
also i see people keep complaining about them squealing. Is it because they didnt apply enough anti-squeal on the shims? or is there a possibility that the pads themselves cause the squeal?

and finally do you guys just order straight from carbotech? or is there a vendor?
Old 07-25-10, 01:25 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by avgj0F
To have all 3 is like discovering a Holy Grail.
I purchased mine directly from the manufacturer (Mike Jr.). I glopped on the anti-squeal (orange Permatex) and have had no squeal but that could just be coincidental. I had about 5k on the car and did not resurface the rotors. As I did not do the rears, I can't comment on any size issues with the rears. The dusting with the 1521's is a meer shadow of the dust with the OEM pads.
Old 07-25-10, 08:31 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I sent my Carbotech rear pads back to the manufacturer to have them resized. I'm not sure if they have made changes to the rear pads if you order them now. You can always refer to some of the pics in this thread to make sure they're the same size as OEM.

I have both front and rear installed. So far, I'm very happy with them. A lot less brake dust and I don't notice much difference in performance.

Terrance
Old 07-25-10, 09:35 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by T-Rex06
I sent my Carbotech rear pads back to the manufacturer to have them resized. I'm not sure if they have made changes to the rear pads if you order them now. You can always refer to some of the pics in this thread to make sure they're the same size as OEM.

I have both front and rear installed. So far, I'm very happy with them. A lot less brake dust and I don't notice much difference in performance.

Terrance
Hey Terrance,

To my knowledge, they have corrected the issue for new orders.. So basically when an order comes in, they actually make them... They do not keep "stock on hand" for the IS-F..

BTW - Do you still have those hotspots on your front rotors?? and/or did you re-bed your brake pads to see if it went away??

Thanks
Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-26-10 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-26-10, 12:32 AM
lx470man
Advanced

is there any way to know for sure if its resolved? causei need to order a set asap.
Old 07-26-10, 07:20 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Are these Carbotec pads a safe option if I periodically take a spirited canyon drive? I don't want my pads starting to fade towards then end of the run. I know that these aren't recommended for track use...Darshana S...
Old 07-26-10, 11:34 AM
SCCAForums
Driver

The rears are corrected, mine were brand new in the box, and the proper fitment.

Most people are running BobCats I believe, which are going to work better on those 'canyon drives' than OEM.

If you want to track use... You want their XP 12 Fronts, XP8 rears.

www.ctbrakes.com

Enjoy!
Dave
Old 07-26-10, 10:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
The rears are corrected, mine were brand new in the box, and the proper fitment.

Most people are running BobCats I believe, which are going to work better on those 'canyon drives' than OEM.

If you want to track use... You want their XP 12 Fronts, XP8 rears.

www.ctbrakes.com

Enjoy!
Dave
At CMP I run XP12 front and XP10 rear. The rears have almost no wear. I've already killed one set of XP12s, and I'm well into my second set with only three weekends.

I've been running Bobcats (1521) for awhile now. They dust less and feel as good as OEM for sure. My rotors are pretty close to dead. They're pretty heavily cracked.

I haven't measured them, but I'd bet they're very close to minimum thickness now. FWIW, I take a 5/32" drill and clean the holes after a track day because they're clogged with pad material. I'm close to 33k miles with three track weekends so far. Bobcats will click more than the OEM pads when you go from reverse to forward.

The OEM pads are Jurid also known as Honeywell (in Europe) and Bendix (in the US).
Old 07-26-10, 10:58 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ With newer pads and new rotors.. there should be minimal to no clicking...

We have at least one member who is running the Raybesto Rotors on the IS-F..

How do you think they will work for street application, compared to the OEM brembo rotors?

I also just noticed they now have Raybesto brake pads...

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 08-03-10 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-03-10, 02:26 PM
GOT2BEATIT
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys - new to the forums here and do have a question. Is there a recommended milage to replace the pad / rotors on the ISF? I have 19k miles and believe to be on the stock set up. I do have quite a bit of brake dust on the front and have a slight squeel when creeping along.

What would you fellow enthusiasts suggest in regards to milage?

I understand Carbotech 1521's is the preffered choice now?

Additionally, upon harder breaking, I have a slight viabration - would this be expected from a warped rotor?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-03-10, 04:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Contrary to what you may have heard, rotors don't warp. They get deposits from the pads on them and the deposits may be unevenly distributed, but they don't warp.

Mileage has nothing to do with brake wear. Look at the pads to see how thin they are. If they are making a very loud squealing noise, you are on the wear indicators and it's time to change for sure, but this sound is so loud you couldn't possibly miss it.

Some of us are running Carbotech 1521s and very happy with them (I am for sure). Others are running other compounds from other manufacturers. There's just a lot of commentary in this thread about Carbotech because there were some initial problems, but they're all sorted out now.

Quick Reply: DIY: IS-F front brake pads