IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

To IS-F owners only

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-09, 07:30 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have any proof for this statement? The fastest I've seen is 12.35s.

Originally Posted by slvrboolet
... A stock F with slicks ran 12.0 in the 1/4...
Old 03-27-09, 07:56 AM
isbeater
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonsleeper
Currently I drive a 02 Clk55 AMG which runs 13.1@109mph stock. I was looking at the Lexus IS-F and it interests me. I want to know any problems with the IS-Fs? Also how fast are these cars. I live in Queens NY and I want to know just how fast the IS-Fs are compare to my Clk55.

This is just my opinion from experience, but the ISF is probably not faster than the CLK from my experience, but they are close. I've driven the E55, and while the numbers may be close in terms of 1/4 mile etc, they AMG 55 series has so much torque it feels a LOT faster than the ISF. If you're used to that instant power feeling you may feel that the ISF is boring...

The E55 i was in was a beast...
Old 03-27-09, 08:46 AM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by isbeater
This is just my opinion from experience, but the ISF is probably not faster than the CLK from my experience, but they are close. I've driven the E55, and while the numbers may be close in terms of 1/4 mile etc, they AMG 55 series has so much torque it feels a LOT faster than the ISF. If you're used to that instant power feeling you may feel that the ISF is boring...

The E55 i was in was a beast...
If I'm not mistaken the E55 is supercharged while the CLK 55 is n/a. There is a considerable power difference between the two cars.
Old 03-27-09, 09:11 AM
isbeater
Driver

Ahhh... yes then. the ISF is faster than the CLK55 - disregard my statement. I had thought they both shared the same powerplant
Old 03-27-09, 09:57 AM
btwanky
Lead Lap

i think a good reason to get it.. is your clk is the old body style too... get something new!
Old 03-27-09, 10:58 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabinetman
Looks like previous posters have confirmed the car is faster than your CLK and probably more reliable. These are important areas to consider, but you really need to test drive a F.

I wasn't shopping for a new car when I happened upon the IS F. I was with my dad who was looking at Porsches when I decided to take the F for a spin just out of curiosity. I knew about the car from magazine tests, but it was that random test drive that got my heart racing and my mind scheming on how to add the F to my garage. Two weeks later I bought one.

The F is a fast and very nicely put together car. The interior is user friendly and has the bells and whistles I expect at this price point. I love the seats and personally don't find the ride bad at all. The 8 speed auto is an engineering masterpiece that has to be experienced to be fully appreciated. The thing is you don't buy a car like this because it makes the most sense. Go test drive one or two and see if the F can put that same goofy grin on your face that it did on mine.

Nicely said Cabinetman, I agree

To the OP, I would go out to the dealership, check one out and take it for a drive to see how you like it. Have you seen one in person yet (not a stupid question, some people still haven't)? I don't think the suspension is too stiff but others disagree. It is a quick, reliable, fun to drive Lexus. Now that the aftermarket is slowly opening up, there are going to be more and more mods to boost the power of your F
Old 03-27-09, 11:47 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lex vs MB

Those two cars are in two different classes, but I guess once you actually try the IS-F, it's hard not to like it. Drive the IS-F in sport mode, ralle-lex had one or two 2008's ISF's left about 2-3 weeks ago for about $48,800. I think you'll notice the only major downside is a rougher ride.

I know you didn't mention this, but Glen Cove Mec had a new red C-AMG and a used silver GTR!
Old 03-27-09, 04:31 PM
Jonsleeper
Rookie

Originally Posted by DRE1615
I think the F will feel sportier as a complete package. I personally have never driven the CLK55, but I would bet the ISF has sportier and stiffer suspension and is pretty much a track ready street car. Whereas the CLK55 is just a typical CLK class with a big V8 powerplant to get you going pretty fast in a straight line. The ISF sticks to Lexus' roots with the interior though. Very nice and relaxing but also sturdy. Good luck with your choice
It has amg spec huge brakes,suspension. Pulls 91gs on the skid pad pretty much handles like a late model Vette.
Old 03-27-09, 04:34 PM
Jonsleeper
Rookie

Originally Posted by primecut
Since you have a CLK, are you also considering a C63?
I was looking into the C63 but I dont like the style,real gas guzzler,costs more.
Old 03-27-09, 04:40 PM
Jonsleeper
Rookie

Originally Posted by malujerry
Those two cars are in two different classes, but I guess once you actually try the IS-F, it's hard not to like it. Drive the IS-F in sport mode, ralle-lex had one or two 2008's ISF's left about 2-3 weeks ago for about $48,800. I think you'll notice the only major downside is a rougher ride.

I know you didn't mention this, but Glen Cove Mec had a new red C-AMG and a used silver GTR!
Really? Brand new? I saw a used ISF with 9k miles for 48,xxx loaded.
Old 03-27-09, 04:48 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
It is Faster than a CLK. And as for problems, I can think of a few,

#1, The seats are too comfortable(They need to make them more in line with the comfort of a M3)
#2, It is so much fun to drive your wife may take the car away from you.
And finally #3, you may loss contact with your dealer or local mechanic due to only having to put the car in for schedualed services.

They are probably the biggest problems you may face.
Dave, I really like #3.
Old 03-27-09, 04:56 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i owned a 2004 SL55 AMG and i think it was fast but i feel faster in the Is-F and also it handles way better! the torque in mine was 516 to the flywheel and i still feel i could have beaten it with this F.

its also pretty bad that my service guy is actually my friend now! he and i keep in contact and so on! because i was always in for repairs!
Old 03-27-09, 05:05 PM
Jonsleeper
Rookie

Originally Posted by DFLORES
i owned a 2004 SL55 AMG and i think it was fast but i feel faster in the Is-F and also it handles way better! the torque in mine was 516 to the flywheel and i still feel i could have beaten it with this F.

its also pretty bad that my service guy is actually my friend now! he and i keep in contact and so on! because i was always in for repairs!
Those kompressor 55 AMGs have the worst reliability. My NA Clk55 is reliable. Also the SL class are really heavy 42xx lbs.
Old 03-27-09, 05:35 PM
mercurymet
Driver

Default CLK55 versus ISF

Hello Hon,

I don't have experience with a CLK55. My mother has a CLK550 convertible and I have an 08 ISF.

Both have that great V8 rumble at idle, especially sweet sound when your in a parking garage and have just started the cars. Both pull hard. I feel that the ISF pulls harder, though both are limited by traction. From what i"ve read, the 550 has more power and accelerates harder that the 55.

With regards to handling, I enjoy pushing the ISF to the limits. The CLK feels soft and tends to sway and rebound and too much for me to push it to its limits (Also, its my moms car). This may be different with an AMG setup.

ISF has a more versatile transmission. Normal commutng versus WOT in manual mode with locking torque converter and rev matched downshifts. This transmission clobbers the Mercs hands down. You have to test drive the car more than a couple times to get a feel for the transmission. I love the transmission. I drive in normal mode during my commute. When some wants to push me and they are in a worthwhile car, I reward myself on the way home by putting the car in sport mode, manual trans mode/F mode and getting shifting until I'm at 4000+. Then I let it rip, burn some gas and rear tire. This is done on the fly. Awesome. The car is a sleeper.

Both interiors are luxurious in different ways. The Merc feels more rich to me. The ISF is more sporty and high tech.

Reliability wise, no problems with both, both have low miles. Warranty is better with ISF 6 year 70+K miles.

Looks,both are sweet. The ISF definitely looks more aggressive while the CLK is more svelte, escoecially with the top down.

Both are similarly inconvenient. 4 seaters, similar trunks, though the ISF is more versatile being a 4 door.
Old 03-27-09, 08:04 PM
newly_Manu
Driver School Candidate

Nice car but I wouldn't endorse it. Lexus had to buy back my ISF due to vibration problems that they couldn't figure out. Since they tried to blame me for it I do not trust Lexus.

Quick Reply: To IS-F owners only