IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF Brake Grind Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-09, 08:23 AM
bwoodwrd1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISF Brake Grind Help

Okay, so I traded in our IS350 yesterday and purchased a used 2008 ISF with 5500 miles. I test drove the vehicle and everything felt fine, carfax is clean, etc... When pulling out of the lot, I heard the brakes squeak a tiny bit, but I figured they were just cold (about 35-40 degrees outside at that time). I drove it back from Dallas all the way to San Antonio and no issues until right before we got home. When coming to a complete stop, the brakes sounded as if they were grinding (really from the front driver side only that I can tell). I can feel it in the pedal now too. I have heard the pads can were fast, but at 5500 miles?

Upon inspection, they look like they are wearing at an angle. They are thicker on the inside of the rotor vs outside. How is this possible?

I will post some pics to see if that helps. I am taking it in to the local dealer tomorrow either way.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 03-29-09, 08:28 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Had the same issue and it wasnt a problem. Went to the dealer and they check my car and said everything was fine. I think what happens is that the brake pad is just sliding on the rotor. sound will go away when you depress the peddle a little further.
Old 03-29-09, 08:47 AM
bwoodwrd1
Rookie

Here are some pics.

Front Passenger side (dont think this is a problem)

Front Driver (sound is coming from here)

Rears:
Driver (possible sound here)

Passenger:

Last edited by bwoodwrd1; 03-29-09 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-29-09, 09:51 AM
Reciprocal
Driver

Those look fine. The pads are beveled toward the outside.
Old 03-29-09, 10:17 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

If i'm looking at those pads correctly, they are wearing unevenly. The pad backing plate is supposed to be parallel with the pad surface and the rotor. In those pics, they are angled meaning they are not wearing properly. Where did you purchase your IS F at?
Old 03-29-09, 10:38 AM
bwoodwrd1
Rookie

I bought it from an independent dealer in Dallas Monroe Motorcars . Pics are still up if anyone wants to take a look at there website. It was carfax certified with no history of any issues. The car looks extremely clean, no wheel marks, scuffs, etc... From the way it looks, I would assume it was taken care of. I guess you never know though.

Honestly, I'm not really sure what how the pad wear should look, so any info is appreciated.

Brandon
Old 03-29-09, 10:50 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Unfortunately CarFax will not reveal a car's true history. Sadly, if the original owner got into any kind of accident and did not report it to his/her insurance for a claim, that info will never arrive to CarFax.

Here's a great Brake DIY done by Caymandive if you care to change the pads out yourself:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rake-pads.html

Old 03-29-09, 11:51 AM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

mine didn't start squealing until it was over half a yr old. it got progressively louder for the few months after.. but now it seemed to tone back down. i'm certain i'll be getting new pads sometime this yr.
Old 03-29-09, 01:33 PM
bwoodwrd1
Rookie

Not sure if anyone else has any pics of there pads/rotors up close, but if you do, please post them. I'm just curious to see if they have that same wear pattern. I guess it could be something on the inside too, but I'll just wait and let the dealer take off the wheels.

Brandon
Old 03-29-09, 03:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
If i'm looking at those pads correctly, they are wearing unevenly. The pad backing plate is supposed to be parallel with the pad surface and the rotor. In those pics, they are angled meaning they are not wearing properly. Where did you purchase your IS F at?
yeah that's what i noticed too, seems like all the pads are wearing very unevenly. looks very weird
Old 03-29-09, 05:39 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah that's what i noticed too, seems like all the pads are wearing very unevenly. looks very weird
I just looked at mine and the wear is similar. Anyone know why this is the case?
Old 03-29-09, 08:40 PM
bwoodwrd1
Rookie

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
I just looked at mine and the wear is similar. Anyone know why this is the case?
Good to know I'm not alone. I guess I will see what lexus says tomorrow.

B
Old 03-29-09, 10:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
i'd like to know what lexus say too. this is some weird wear, unless something new from brembo, i haven't seen anything like this on previous bbk i owned
Old 03-29-09, 11:48 PM
Low Offset
Driver

Was it a usb lexus by any chance? Because I was looking at that specific model from that dealer when I was going to purchase mine. I ended up getting one from Vegas though.
Old 03-30-09, 03:04 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like un-even clamping force, is being applied to the brake pad.

Quick Reply: ISF Brake Grind Help