IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Independent DYNO Proven results by "Caymandive" - no BS here!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 12:31 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by infinus
They have a modular system like that for 350z and G35's. But if you just weld a fake shell on the outside of the exhaust so it just looks like it has a cat it shouldn't be an issue and you won't have to cut up the exhaust since the exhaust will run as is through the shell. You'll get the same sound, performance, not have to do any cutting and still pass the visual. After hearing how sexy the headers and exhaust sound I don't think I could live with the quiet sound.

One positive note though we'll finally be able to answer the "header only" question people have been asking. I also wonder how much if any it will affect the dip in the curve.
To be honest I'm kinda enjoying the lack of sound for a while. But yeah I can't see myself staying this quiet for very long and I'm almost certain I'll be down about 16whp from where I was. The car sounds amazing with the full exhaust/headers. Once I get the car on the dyno with the stock exhaust I'm going to work on getting something done to the JoeZ PTS exhaust to make it appear as though it has cats as you suggested. I don't want to have to go through this swaparoo again next year and my head/neck and back are killing me from putting the stock exhaust back on the car by myself with just jack stands.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/powercat.htm has some nice mini cats that should fit. I think it would be great to have these installed via V-bands with test pipes to interchange with. or just maybe there may not be any difference in power with the mini cats installed compared to test pipes. Guess that could be another dyno test later on. :P

Last edited by caymandive; 08-02-10 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-02-10, 01:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,975 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Might also want to talk to these guys:

http://www.randomtechnology.com/products.html

They've been doing high flow cats for a long time, and back in the day had a fully emissions legal Fox body Mustang running 10's.
Old 08-02-10, 01:59 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Might also want to talk to these guys:

http://www.randomtechnology.com/products.html

They've been doing high flow cats for a long time, and back in the day had a fully emissions legal Fox body Mustang running 10's.
Thanks, I'll give them a call soon.
Old 08-02-10, 03:32 PM
BB/F
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Whats funny is the car with full exhaust (no cats) passes emissions just fine. All they do is read the OBD2 port. Unfortunately I found out the hard way is that in VA they do the "visual" inspection as part of the yearly safety inspection. So as long as you go some place that does not know this car comes with 4 cats from the factory then having just 2 cats passes no problem.
Yep. They do a visual to make sure the equipment is still there. One day when I get this system, I will have high flow converters installed. Even though you dont have to do the sniffer test, VA DEQ has these white vans that set up sniffers and cameras at random locations. As you pass by, they analyze the exhaust gases coming out of your car (I dont know how). If they read high pollutant levels, they take a pic of your tag and you get a letter in the mail requiring you to have your vehicle inspected. Also, the VSP can impound your car if you have removed the converters and they catch you as its a federal offense to remove them.

I had the Random tech converters on my Z28. Two on my 3 inch Y-pipe. It was still very loud, just not as loud as without them.
Old 08-02-10, 03:57 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ WoW.. that sounds just a tad bit worse than CA SMOG Laws.....

Joe Z
Old 08-02-10, 04:41 PM
BB/F
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ WoW.. that sounds just a tad bit worse than CA SMOG Laws.....

Joe Z
Its progressively getting worse, especially with the roaming sniffer guys. Back in the day, we would just go rent a PO Box in a county that didnt require smog tests and register the car there. Damn state figured that one out and shut the loophole
Old 08-02-10, 05:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,975 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Originally Posted by BB/F
Its progressively getting worse, especially with the roaming sniffer guys. Back in the day, we would just go rent a PO Box in a county that didnt require smog tests and register the car there. Damn state figured that one out and shut the loophole
You can still do this in California. There are counties where only a transfer of ownership triggers a smog check.

At least Georgia is performance based. Unfortunately, OBDII cars have to have a working OBDII system, so no aftermarket engine management on a '96 or later vehicle. They also do look for something resembling a cat...
Old 08-02-10, 06:26 PM
BB/F
Rookie

Here is a little more info regarding the roaming checks:

http://www.deq.state.va.us/mobile/orefaq.html

So, in Northern VA, if you see an unmarked white van with a lot of cones and camera looking devices pointing at the road, thats them. I know one location they are at regularly, and I've seen them at once somewhere else. They usually set up on a slight uphill grade road with low speed limits so you cant just throw it in neutral and coast by. I figured that out with my Z28
Old 08-20-10, 01:48 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Default SIKKY Headers with stock exhaust

Well this is interesting!

So the headers alone will make more power on the IS-F than with a catback exhaust and stock headers. So for those of you out there with families, just not into the whole elevated noise level that come with aftermarket exhausts and willing to spare a few ponies, it looks like the headers alone are a great option. As pleased as I am with the results today, the PTS JoeZ exhaust is going back on the car in the very near future. I miss the sound and will need the additional power this fall if I plan to squeak into the 11's.

Stock exhaust with SIKKY Headers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDU6pc7ziE

PTS JoeZ exhaust with SIKKY Headers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfrMU...eature=related

Last edited by caymandive; 11-09-10 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-20-10, 03:02 PM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Interesting. Why do the pulls on the dyno do not go up to 6.800 RPM's?
Old 08-20-10, 03:39 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ISFC6
Interesting. Why do the pulls on the dyno do not go up to 6.800 RPM's?
Because 6th gear at 6450 rpms hits its limited top speed of 170.

Last edited by caymandive; 08-22-10 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Corrected response
Old 08-22-10, 06:45 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Got my PTS JoeZ exhaust back on today. Couldn't be happier! The throttle response is indeed noticeably better with the stock exhaust off the car again.
Old 08-25-10, 07:46 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for contributing your results, once again, cayman.
Old 08-25-10, 10:02 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Very nice James! Hope to see you if you come to LA!
Old 09-03-10, 03:04 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

There is a dyno day next Saturday and have been asked to attend by local guy with a stock IS-F. Apparently there is a 2011 Mustang GT that will be on the dyno as well, so it should be interesting. I'd like to at the end of the event overlay the results from the 2011 GT, the stock IS-F and my car.

Aside from the exciting comparo that will occur this day with the battle of the 8's, I have also ordered the AFE dry filter to see if it's worth a few ponies. Stay tuned.

Quick Reply: Independent DYNO Proven results by "Caymandive" - no BS here!!