IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Independent DYNO Proven results by "Caymandive" - no BS here!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-10, 07:50 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
There is a dyno day next Saturday and have been asked to attend by local guy with a stock IS-F. Apparently there is a 2011 Mustang GT that will be on the dyno as well, so it should be interesting. I'd like to at the end of the event overlay the results from the 2011 GT, the stock IS-F and my car.

Aside from the exciting comparo that will occur this day with the battle of the 8's, I have also ordered the AFE dry filter to see if it's worth a few ponies. Stay tuned.
Looking forward to the results James.....
Old 09-11-10, 04:59 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts
Default AFE Dry filter results

In a nutshell the car makes less power. Will be posting this filter in the for sale section soon.

Video from today

New AFE vs my 10,000 mi used OEM filter

Little more low end power with the AFE, but lacks in the top end.

I put this graph together today to show you all what the typical gains are with various upgrades from stock to full bolt-on. There was a stock 2010 IS-F on the dyno today with me and he gave me permission to use his graph. He only has 3500 miles on his car and I'm not sure how much higher his numbers could have been if he had more miles, but from what I've seen on other stock dyno's 332whp is about right.

Last edited by caymandive; 09-12-10 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-12-10, 12:17 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm, I wonder why the AFE makes less power? I can see why intakes would make less (heat soak etc) but I thought the drop in would for sure help a bit.
Old 09-12-10, 04:36 AM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Anyone know what the stock filter's flow rate is?

I know the AFE dry is 416cfm and the oiled is 550cfm.

I'd be curious to see if the power was less with the oiled one too. Mainly because I just picked one up and it will be here next week.
Old 09-12-10, 10:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,975 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Originally Posted by dsg03svt
Anyone know what the stock filter's flow rate is?

I know the AFE dry is 416cfm and the oiled is 550cfm.

I'd be curious to see if the power was less with the oiled one too. Mainly because I just picked one up and it will be here next week.
At what pressure drop? 20" of water?
Old 09-13-10, 12:50 AM
MINO
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
At what pressure drop? 20" of water?
According to their site:
1.5" H2O for the gauze. (stock 352 / Afe 550)
1" H2O for the dry. (stock 205 / Afe 416)

Something is either off with my math or off with their numbers.
Old 09-13-10, 08:50 AM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

According to this link from AFE's website it shows the stock filter to flow around ~430cfm and the AFE oiled to flow ~736cfm at 1.5"H2O

http://afepower.com/catalog/30-10167/NPA.pdf

Now I don't know what to believe...
Old 09-13-10, 09:29 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dsg03svt
According to this link from AFE's website it shows the stock filter to flow around ~430cfm and the AFE oiled to flow ~736cfm at 1.5"H2O

http://afepower.com/catalog/30-10167/NPA.pdf

Now I don't know what to believe...
In my opinion the filter does little to nothing for the car and as far as it reducing power that could have just been a timing issue in the top end. All I know is that from my testing of filters on the 2IS's I have yet to find one that definitively makes power over OEM. When I had the IS350, I tried with and without the charcoal filter, no filter, after market filter, etc and it all led me to the same conclusion that OEM works best.

Last edited by caymandive; 09-13-10 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-13-10, 06:46 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

I broke my charcoal filter off... no going back to that lol
Old 09-13-10, 07:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by infinus
I broke my charcoal filter off... no going back to that lol
If you were in CA I'd be saying good luck with passing smog, but since you're in AZ, you might get away with it.
Old 09-14-10, 05:53 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Would CA really go that far as to dissect the air box looking for a charcoal filter?
Old 09-14-10, 10:01 AM
carlosg
Driver

would be interesting to see the results with the TOM's air filter
Old 09-14-10, 01:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Would CA really go that far as to dissect the air box looking for a charcoal filter?
Yes, they will open the airbox and look for the filter. Believe me, they're thorough. They get tested anonymously by CARB agents with modified cars routinely. They do stuff just like this to see if the techs will pass the car (it meets tailpipe with or without the charcoal, but it doesn't meet evaporative emissions without it), and they'll fail/fine the tech depending on what they've done and how egregious it is.

The media in Sacramento made a very big deal out of this. I remember one time the local news showed a raid on a smog business - they came in with SWAT(!?!) and the guy behind the desk looked totally terrified (I would too!) seeing M-16s and black body armored guys rushing in the door and forcing everyone down. I mean, for real, I can't believe the full on Gestapo attitude they have about this in California. It's one of the big reasons I left.
Old 09-17-10, 02:14 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kommiefornia? Of course they would anyway to be able to charge more fines or taxes they will be all over it.
Old 11-18-10, 05:05 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Default Next project is going to be Stock mufflers with the JoeZ exhaust and SIKKY headers

Maybe it comes with age, but I can no longer take the excessive (90+ decibels at around the 1700-2000rpm cruise range under load) that my current exhaust setup yields. I don't drive the Lexus everyday as I have another car for my daily, but when I do I like to have a relatively relaxed ride while cruising or hauling the family.

I've been giving it some thought lately and after having reviewed lowrideraz's custom exhaust that retains the stock mufflers thread I've decided to do a little project of my own and dyno test it. I am picking up another members stock rear exhaust section and will be cutting the stock mufflers off and taking it up to JE Import performance (SIKKY) and having them fabricate new rear muffler sections that I can swap in and out with the JoeZ pieces. (see below for reference) My plan is to utilize the stock mufflers most of the time, but if there is an event that I want to maximize my power and be heard, it will then be easy swap the rear sections out.

So now the big question remains, how much power will I lose by utilizing the stock mufflers which are chambered and have a 2.25" exhaust inlet compared to the JoeZ which has 2.5" exhaust piping and straight through mufflers? I'm going to have this work done and dyno tested on Friday December 12th so stay tuned.

In summary, my hope is that I don't lose more than 8hp and that I will then have quieter car with a bit more growl than stock such as in lowrideraz's setup. Video of his setup below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMMeD9tEvf4

Last edited by caymandive; 11-18-10 at 05:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Independent DYNO Proven results by "Caymandive" - no BS here!!