IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Independent DYNO Proven results by "Caymandive" - no BS here!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-10, 05:36 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

James, you're so old.

Good luck with your project!
Old 11-18-10, 06:22 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by infinus
Hmmmm, I wonder why the AFE makes less power? I can see why intakes would make less (heat soak etc) but I thought the drop in would for sure help a bit.
I am running the TOM'S Dry Filter, hopefully my numbers didn't go down. Anyone with the same set up experiencing power losses?
Old 11-18-10, 06:56 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by montgb
James, you're so old.

Good luck with your project!
James, let me know how things turn out. I'm still very pleased with what I did BTW, I'm sure James is not as old as me - I'm 72

Lou
Old 11-19-10, 10:48 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turn up your music or buy some ear plugs
Old 11-19-10, 11:08 AM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear you caymandive. All day I hear noise. As my IS-F is my DD, I like peace and quiet. I rarely actually even have audio on when I drive. It's a chance for me to have some peace and quiet before I come home to 3 kids and a wife. I'd be surprised if you lose 8 hp actually.
Old 11-19-10, 12:35 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
James, let me know how things turn out. I'm still very pleased with what I did BTW, I'm sure James is not as old as me - I'm 72

Lou
No disrespect meant to our more senior members, Lou! James is a young guy, though.
Old 11-19-10, 02:00 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

James,

Corsa performance exhaust have been able to eliminate the drone that you hear in the 1700 to 2200 RPM range in their systems, and they seem to be the only company I know of who has been able to do so. The problem is they do not make an exhaust for our cars yet, but have told me they are working on it. So I will wait and see but I agree with you, and even with out headers the drone can be a bit much at times. I will be interested to see what you come up with.

http://www.corsaperf.com/
Old 11-19-10, 02:55 PM
K3RRYB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caymandive
In a nutshell the car makes less power. Will be posting this filter in the for sale section soon.

Video from today

New AFE vs my 10,000 mi used OEM filter

Little more low end power with the AFE, but lacks in the top end.

Originally Posted by infinus
Hmmmm, I wonder why the AFE makes less power? I can see why intakes would make less (heat soak etc) but I thought the drop in would for sure help a bit.

From my experience on my turbo'd IS300 the AFE dryflow filters are pretty restrictive. It's probably more restrictive than the IS-F. Being more restrictive the AF ratio will prob be richer hence the increased low end power and decreased high end.
Old 11-19-10, 05:11 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by hblexus07
James,

Corsa performance exhaust have been able to eliminate the drone that you hear in the 1700 to 2200 RPM range in their systems, and they seem to be the only company I know of who has been able to do so. The problem is they do not make an exhaust for our cars yet, but have told me they are working on it. So I will wait and see but I agree with you, and even with out headers the drone can be a bit much at times. I will be interested to see what you come up with.

http://www.corsaperf.com/
Very cool! I hadn't heard about Corsa's reflective sound cancellation until now. I'll keep an eye on that company and maybe give them a call one of these days to see where they are for the IS-F application. It would be great to have the best of both the JoeZ muffler sound at WOT and the no drone of the stock mufflers while cruising.

BTW I took some sound measurements with my iphone last night with a Decibel app and here are the results.

66 db at idle (sounds very very good)
95 db WOT (sounds amazing)
81-100 db Cruise drone (I can't stand the drone nor the resonance it creates in the car!)
73 db Cruise at 60mph (tolerable and can easily talk on the phone and have conversation)

I am fine with all the db readings, but I want to bring that drone db down significantly. Also thought it would be fun to throw this in for comparison, but my wifes 06 MDX shows 45 db at idle. :P

Last edited by caymandive; 11-19-10 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-19-10, 09:06 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

James & Gary,

I think we have a solution for you on the low rpm "drone"

I am working on getting the details of an insert designed to fit inside our PTS mufflers, which will quiet things down quite a bit...

Member "N54MPower" had them installed into our system and he said it made a world of a difference

I can't say what it will do for power, but the noise can be reduced for sure...

More to come once I send him a pm to join our discussion here..

James, I just remembered whem you complained your F was too quiet with the headers and OEM exhaust ..

Best Regards,

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-19-10 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-19-10, 09:46 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

So now the big question remains, how much power will I lose by utilizing the stock mufflers which are chambered and have a 2.25" exhaust inlet compared to the JoeZ which has 2.5" exhaust piping and straight through mufflers? I'm going to have this work done and dyno tested on Friday December 12th so stay tuned.

James,

Keep in mind the OEM muffler exhaust inlets are actually 2.1"s. So it will be just about a 10 millimeter smaller hole to work with on each side...
If you do go this route, you will want your newley fabbed pipes to evenly match at the inlet holes.

OEM IS-F Exhaust:
The stainless steel exhaust system starts with tubular exhaust manifolds and integrated catalysts. Next come dual 2.4-inch diameter front pipes that are joined before a pre-muffler and 2.7-inch single center pipe, after which the system splits into two 2.1-inch pipes and enters dual 16.8-liter mufflers.

I think it will be a great test to coordinate either way, too see how much power might be reduced with the smaller flowing chambered mufflers.
The noise will go down for sure. How much ?? Will be cool to see.....

Joe Z
Old 11-20-10, 11:54 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Joe's right, of course. And I thought about that when I had my system built. What we did was expand the pipe going into the muffler to try to make the transition into the muffler as smooth as possible. James posted the video of the sound of my system. The tone is lower than stock, I guess the result of the 2 new resonators vs. the 1 stock resonator. The sound level is really not much more than stock. I luv it at idle, it sounds like a volcano ready to blow There is absolutely no drone at any RPM level.

Lou
Old 11-20-10, 12:43 PM
K3RRYB
Lead Lap

Very cool! I hadn't heard about Corsa's reflective sound cancellation until now. I'll keep an eye on that company and maybe give them a call one of these days to see where they are for the IS-F application. It would be great to have the best of both the JoeZ muffler sound at WOT and the no drone of the stock mufflers while cruising.

BTW I took some sound measurements with my iphone last night with a Decibel app and here are the results.

66 db at idle (sounds very very good)
95 db WOT (sounds amazing)
81-100 db Cruise drone (I can't stand the drone nor the resonance it creates in the car!)
73 db Cruise at 60mph (tolerable and can easily talk on the phone and have conversation)

I am fine with all the db readings, but I want to bring that drone db down significantly. Also thought it would be fun to throw this in for comparison, but my wifes 06 MDX shows 45 db at idle. :P
which program did you download exactly and where specifically did you place the phone to test the sound level?
Is it the Decibel app by gadget frontier?

I have the borla full race sytem and curious to how it compares
Old 11-20-10, 01:38 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by K3RRY
which program did you download exactly and where specifically did you place the phone to test the sound level?
Is it the Decibel app by gadget frontier?

I have the borla full race sytem and curious to how it compares
The app I use is from here. http://www.gadgetfrontier.com/
When I did my testing I was holding the phone about a foot away from my chest where I was watching it.
Old 11-20-10, 06:58 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Joe's right, of course. And I thought about that when I had my system built. What we did was expand the pipe going into the muffler to try to make the transition into the muffler as smooth as possible. James posted the video of the sound of my system. The tone is lower than stock, I guess the result of the 2 new resonators vs. the 1 stock resonator. The sound level is really not much more than stock. I luv it at idle, it sounds like a volcano ready to blow There is absolutely no drone at any RPM level.

Lou
Lou,

How did the shop go about "expanding" the pipe going into the muffler and what size exhaust piping is used on your car going into the stock mufflers?

Quick Reply: Independent DYNO Proven results by "Caymandive" - no BS here!!