IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Independent DYNO Proven results by "Caymandive" - no BS here!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 07:39 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

nice is it on yet???
hows the sound diff?
Old 09-15-11, 08:44 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Hey James. From my personal experiences in the Infiniti world and from what I think I know about you, I don't think you will be happy with the Borla. I hope I'm wrong, but I am anxious to see what your comments are.

David Borla and I had a rather spirited discussion on a G35 Forum years ago about his exhaust. I didn't like the Borla system for a lot of reasons, and I was vocal about it. David didn't like that and he let me know he didn't like what I had to say.

Lou
Old 09-15-11, 10:57 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious as to the results as well! I want to see how the Borla system compares to Joe Z's.
Old 09-16-11, 12:13 AM
mercurymet
Driver

Cayman,

If you don't mind telling, How much did you get the Borla for ?
Old 09-16-11, 04:47 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Hey James. From my personal experiences in the Infiniti world and from what I think I know about you, I don't think you will be happy with the Borla. I hope I'm wrong, but I am anxious to see what your comments are.

David Borla and I had a rather spirited discussion on a G35 Forum years ago about his exhaust. I didn't like the Borla system for a lot of reasons, and I was vocal about it. David didn't like that and he let me know he didn't like what I had to say.

Lou
I hope you're wrong too, but if the sound is still too loud for my tastes and the fitment is poor I will go with another JoeZ exhaust and add a set of high flow cats again, but this time with interchangable test pipes like Dv8tion388 did. I would probably have some stock mufflers made interchanglable with the system as well, but my hope is the Borla is quiet enough for my tastes so that I don't have to do all that work. Having talked a few times with member "SCCAForums" who has tracked his car on multiple occasions was more than happy with the setup. He said he had no fitment issues, nothing was rubbing and had little to no drone.

Originally Posted by ShadowISF
I am curious as to the results as well! I want to see how the Borla system compares to Joe Z's.
Since it won't be a direct side by side comparison on the dyno I won't be able to say with certainty which one produces more power, but my hope is that I can hit the same numbers on the dyno as I had in the past.

Originally Posted by mercurymet
Cayman,

If you don't mind telling, How much did you get the Borla for ?
$1037 shipped to my door from 21st Century Exhaust of Florida.

Last edited by caymandive; 09-16-11 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-16-11, 09:32 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^ Very Nice project for the Community!!!

This weekend I will re-weigh our latest system off a new run.. Just to verify our weight numbers from almost 3 years ago...
(Small minor changes have occurred since)

I will also give you a weight on the additional 8 - 304 Stainless Steel Flanges & Braces we have throughout our system.

Keep in mind the extra weight in all the additional TIG welding that is done on ours as well.
Also, we are running Two heavy duty dual core resonators that we make in house for each unit.

Original Weight thread and detailed specs can be see here: Installation Thread: PTS Exhaust -Joe Z series for the IS-F w/pics

Regards,

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-16-11 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-21-11, 03:01 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

As promised James..

Per your request, I re-weighed a system off of our latest prodcution batch in progress..

All parts weighed on a certified shipping scale.

PTS - 304 Stainless Steel Exhaust (4 sections)
Front X-pipe = 15 lbs
Mid section = 20 lbs
Rear Axle sections = 28 lbs
Total = 63 lbs

Side Facts:
8 - 1/2 inch thick 304 Stainless Steel flanges = 6.5 lbs
2 - 304 Stainless Steel Dual Core Resonators = 8 lbs
8 - 304 Stainless Steel Small Reinforing Braces = 1 lb
8 - Automtotive Grade Nuts & Bolts = 8 ozs

OEM Exhaust System (2 sections)
Front-Mid section = 33 lbs
Rear Axle section = 37 lbs
Total = 70 lbs

Some additional side notes are:

The Entire System is constructed of 304 Stainless Steel.
All the Flanges are Stainless Steel.
All the connections are Fully TIG Welded.
The Front & Mid Sections have been finished in Brushed Stainless Steel.
The Rear Axle Sections have been finished in Mirror Polished Stainless Steel.
* 100% Made in the USA! *

Also, I can not take full credit for all of this hard work.

- Performance Tube Systems (PTS) and their entire Staff put lots of hard work and man hours to deliver us exhaust systems that meets and exceeds our Enthusiasts expectations..
I personally appreciate everything they have done to make this happen for us.
Including the ISx50 exhausts which fall in this very same category.
If this wasn't the case, I would have not been involved in this joint venture.

Hope this helps you..!!

~ Joe Z
Old 09-22-11, 12:41 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

^ When I get a GTR I'd love it if PTS made an exhaust for the GTR
Old 09-24-11, 08:29 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Default Borla installed today

Fitment:
The exhaust installed easily and was leak free on the first start up. Clearance looks good throughout, but noticed when I got home that the rear driver side muffler is sitting a tad too close to the exhaust diffuser. I can hear the muffler make contact with the diffuser when i'm going slow and punch it so i'll have to have that looked at. Hopefully it's just an adjustment that needs made.

Sound:
The Borla is quieter than the PTS JoeZ, meaning it doesn't sound as wicked, but the Borla still has a very deep tone, no rasp and it's definitely overall louder than stock, but the biggest difference I noticed is the Borla doesn't drone and I can actually drive around in auto-mode comfortably. I guess I could sum it up by saying the Borla sounds pretty darn good and is comfortable, while the PTS JoeZ exhaust sounds wicked good, but was uncomfortable to drive (without-cats).

Power:
Installed the Borla exhaust today and ran it on the dyno for some numbers. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get an initial dyno today so I can't say for sure how much power I gained from the Borla alone. Sorry guys.

The good news is that I am making great power and had my best run yet on the dyno at JE Import Performance. Below are two dynographs comparing my best run from today to my best run in December 2010 and June 2010 (all non-cat). The comparison to my June 2010 run shows that I'm making more power throughout and compared to the Dec 2010 best run I appear to have only gained in the top end. So there you have it. Inconclusive as to which exhaust will give you the best power, but I can conclude that the gains between PTS JoeZ exhaust and Borla are just about the same. I think this should be expected since they are both true-dual, utilize 2.5" piping, X-pipe and have a straight through design.

Results from today compared to June 2010

Results from today compared to December 2010

Sound comparison between the two exhausts. Video was taken from the same video recorder.

Sikky Headers and Borla
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Z_hoHj4vs

Sikky Headers and PTS JoeZ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejEpWtykBjI

Last edited by caymandive; 09-25-11 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-24-11, 10:27 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Well James, I guess I was wrong about your impression of the Borla Maybe Borla has made fitment improvements over the years. But, they still use those darn slip fit pipes with clamps. BTW, I believe the muffler rubbing the diffuser issue is more common than we may think. I am having that issue with the stock muffler on the right (passenger) side. I've cut away part of the diffuser, but there is an intermittent rubbing, so intermittent that I can live with it.

Good luck with your new setup my friend:thumb up:

Oh, and BTW, I lived in Hernden for a couple of years before I moved to Arizona. I could spit to the Sterling border from my house.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 09-24-11 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-24-11, 11:41 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Nice numbers! The numbers are very comparable to Joe Z's, but I like Joe Z's design better.

Thanks for testing the exhaust for us!
Old 09-25-11, 07:14 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Fitment:
The exhaust installed easily and was leak free on the first start up. Clearance looks good throughout, but noticed when I got home that the rear driver side muffler is sitting a tad too close to the exhaust diffuser. I can hear the muffler make contact with the diffuser when i'm going slow and punch it so i'll have to have that looked at. Hopefully it's just an adjustment that needs made.

Sound:
The Borla is quieter than the PTS JoeZ, meaning it doesn't sound as wicked, but the Borla still has a very deep tone, no rasp and it's definitely overall louder than stock, but the biggest difference I noticed is the Borla doesn't drone and I can actually drive around in auto-mode comfortably. I guess I could sum it up by saying the Borla sounds pretty darn good and is comfortable, while the PTS JoeZ exhaust sounds wicked good, but was uncomfortable to drive (without-cats).

Power:
Installed the Borla exhaust today and ran it on the dyno for some numbers. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get an initial dyno today so I can't say for sure how much power I gained from the Borla alone. Sorry guys.

The good news is that I am making great power and had my best run yet on the dyno at JE Import Performance. Below are two dynographs comparing my best run from today to my best run in December 2010 and June 2010 (all non-cat). The comparison to my June 2010 run shows that I'm making more power throughout and compared to the Dec 2010 best run I appear to have only gained in the top end. So there you have it. Inconclusive as to which exhaust will give you the best power, but I can conclude that the gains between PTS JoeZ exhaust and Borla are just about the same. I think this should be expected since they are both true-dual, utilize 2.5" piping, X-pipe and have a straight through design.

Results from today compared to June 2010

Results from today compared to December 2010

James why did you decide to go with Borla? Did you get tired of the JoeZ? Is the Borla a full catback?
Old 09-25-11, 08:00 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Go back one page and read post #195, it's all there And yes it is, look at the pics you reposted

Lou
Old 09-25-11, 08:37 AM
mercurymet
Driver

James,

So you recently went from headers and stock exhaust to full on no cats again. How much louder is the car during normal driving with the windows up versus down? Sounds like your implying that Borla with headers is doable versus headers and Joe z in terms of daily driver noise level.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 09-25-11, 08:57 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mercurymet
James,

So you recently went from headers and stock exhaust to full on no cats again. How much louder is the car during normal driving with the windows up versus down? Sounds like your implying that Borla with headers is doable versus headers and Joe z in terms of daily driver noise level.

Thanks,

Tom
Not sure exactly how much louder it is windows up vs down, but yes this combination is doable for daily driving. The main reason aside from price that I tried out Borla was that I heard it didn't drone. I was skeptical but am pleasantly surprised. Just a guess, but I believe the resonator design on the Borla allows the sound waves to cross between both sides canceling out the drone.

Last edited by caymandive; 09-25-11 at 09:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Independent DYNO Proven results by "Caymandive" - no BS here!!