IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I need help getting clearbra off

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 11:57 AM
btwanky
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help getting clearbra off

Is there any special way to take 3M clear bra off? mine is starting to look shty and wanna get it off the car?
Old 04-07-09, 12:14 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It just peels off. I watched them do it on one of my cars in the past. Just make sure you clean the residue under it really good.

Is it turning yellow? Most places will guarantee the work and replace for free if there is anything wrong. I may try this first before you take it off unless you don't want it on the car anymore.
Old 04-07-09, 12:33 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Just peel it back slowly.
Old 04-07-09, 01:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

and use heat gun (or hair dryer) to soften them up if needed. last thing you want is pull off your paint
Old 04-07-09, 05:18 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
and use heat gun (or hair dryer) to soften them up if needed. last thing you want is pull off your paint
thats what im worried about...
Old 04-07-09, 05:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

put your car under baking sun for 1-2 hours, and then start working your way in, and use heat gun or hair dryer as i mentioned. that should do it
Old 04-07-09, 07:15 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what happened?

do you have a picture of what it looks like now? how long before it turned bad? i was thinking about doing it
Old 04-08-09, 03:24 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was your bra professionally installed? I ask because I have had 6 cars with bras professionally installed and have had zero problems with them. One is my `04 GX470, which stays parked outside my house throughout the year - sun, heat, wind, rain, and snow. My installer guarantees his product and his installation.

I understand using a hairdryer helps when you want to remove these things.
Old 04-08-09, 03:34 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've only had issues with the ClearBra on the sideview mirrors. Apparently the rounded surface makes adhesion difficult. I'll be taking mine back for the second time to get it redone.
Old 04-08-09, 12:28 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

i did have it professionally done.. but it never looked that good to begin with.. whenever i get the car wax.. some residue makes a white line on it.. the car looked like it got keyed.. everyone always asks what happen?... and i tell them

so i would just rather have it off.. for as much as it cost me.. it would have been cheaper to get that panel repainted if anything actually did happen
Old 04-08-09, 12:38 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

If you get a chip in the clear bra, is this usually covered in warranty?
Old 04-08-09, 12:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by btwanky
i did have it professionally done.. but it never looked that good to begin with.. whenever i get the car wax.. some residue makes a white line on it.. the car looked like it got keyed.. everyone always asks what happen?... and i tell them

so i would just rather have it off.. for as much as it cost me.. it would have been cheaper to get that panel repainted if anything actually did happen
umm...... ok, that's your waxing problem though, nothing to do with clear bra. whenever you wax, you should always avoid waxing the edge by putting masking tape or so, so the residue doesn't get stuck at the edge
Old 04-09-09, 01:03 AM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

^i agree. btwanky, you should have put some masking tape along that line to avoid the wax build-up. why don't you use something to clean off the edges? maybe a claybar and a soft horsehair brush.
Old 04-09-09, 07:13 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by btwanky

I agree with you. I would rather just have the damaged area painted later down the road. I have never seen a clear bra installation that looks good. They are acceptable for what they are but you always loose the luster and depth of the paint finish where they are installed. I wax and my cars alot and I like to develop that wet look with multiple coats of Zaino,and that will not happen over a clear plastic film. I know many swear by it, but it is not for me.
Old 04-09-09, 10:04 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hblexus07
I agree with you. I would rather just have the damaged area painted later down the road. I have never seen a clear bra installation that looks good. They are acceptable for what they are but you always loose the luster and depth of the paint finish where they are installed. I wax and my cars alot and I like to develop that wet look with multiple coats of Zaino,and that will not happen over a clear plastic film. I know many swear by it, but it is not for me.

i think it all has to do with what type of film you have put on. the first clearbra i had turned to crap after about 3 months...so i had it removed and had a different installer/different film put on and it still looks flawless 9 months later (and thats through rain wind salt snow ice AND driving cross country). its just as glossy as the paint that isnt bra'd is because of the thick clearcoat the film has on it.

Last edited by CaThaFeR; 04-09-09 at 12:03 PM.

Quick Reply: I need help getting clearbra off