IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Why didn't Lexus make a manual version of the F?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-09, 01:01 PM
FBTO
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why didn't Lexus make a manual version of the F?

Why oh why?? I am having thoughts of selling it now for an M3, only because of the manual. If I can get confirmation that a 2010 F will have manual, I will wait for it...but I am dying...I really want manual. I thought I would live without it...

Maybe it is just me. I guess we will see after I put on my summer tires this week. Maybe the 19's will sort me out. Maybe my track day at the end of the month will help shake these crazy thoughts from my head!!!

Am I the only one feeling this way??
Old 04-12-09, 01:16 PM
phantax
Rookie

Not having a manual option is really the one thing that put me off on buying the car for 6 months... I got over it. These new gearboxes are really the way everything is going, so you might as well get used to it.

I always drive the car in Sport and Manual mode and shift with the shifter and it suits me just fine, plus its nice to be able to use Auto sometimes in Florida traffic (aka people who cant drive).

I wouldn't hold off on a 2010 F having a manual option, I think production is halted even on the 09s, so who knows what is going to happen.
Old 04-12-09, 01:19 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

I'm actually a fan of the 8 speed in the F. I daily drive my car and like have a slush box when I'm fighting traffic. If the F was my weekend toy I would probably miss having a stick. As it is, I'm getting better with the paddles and find the car pretty rewarding when driven hard.

I'm not sure that Toyota has a manual transmission in their inventory that would handle the torque of the F. I'm sure cost played a role in just offering one transmission in the first F series car. Maybe if the F becomes a more profitable model we will see a manual option. For now I'm just hoping Lexus won't drop the whole F line due to slow sales.
Old 04-12-09, 01:38 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

i know first hand that the F line definitely will not be dropped because i've read some future discussions. Don't ask me how i know because I actually can't say by contract and by law.

When the 2nd gen IS line first came out, and i heard that there was a rumor that an "IS500" or "F" model to be released, i remember telling my friend "i will only buy the car if it comes in a manual".

Luckily for me (and Lexus because i ended up buying one), i got to go to one of the Lexus Performance Driving Academy event @ California Speedway. The IS F in Manual + Sport shifts faster than you can shift a manual gear box. I love having the auto in Southern California traffic.

I used to think that it would be nice to have a manual because i can choose which gear i want to be in to pass people if i'm on the freeway, but it's just as nice to have this auto because i can just floor it, and the computer knows how low of a gear it can go to and it automatically goes there... I remember when sometimes i would go from 6th to 3rd, and it wouldn't be enough, and i would have to still go to 2nd, or just ride out 3rd and not really be able to do what i wanted to do in my previous car.

When i get on the freeway from the on ramps, i put the car in Manual + Sport and get on the freeway the way i want to, then i kick it over to auto and drive it like a normal person. You get the best of both worlds all in one machine...why get an M3? long post...sorry my 2 cents.
Old 04-12-09, 01:52 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

There is no possible way that the manual would be faster....
Old 04-12-09, 03:10 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manuals are old technology, and I think they will disappear in the near future. Check F1, Ferrari, and Lambo, see what direction they are going.
Old 04-12-09, 03:33 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

^^ they're going in the direction of our IS F i wonder if our trannies shift as fast as theirs? I know the new Ferrari 599 has a super fast tranny....
Old 04-12-09, 04:40 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.1 seconds faster than the f430
Old 04-12-09, 04:49 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexISguy
.1 seconds faster than the f430
Old 04-12-09, 04:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It's not about shifting faster. Some people just prefer having a manual shift stick because they like the the 'feel and interaction'. Power steering assists you in turning your steering wheel, but there are still a lot of people who wants heavier steering

In the end..it's preference. Many have converted to the paddle shifters, but there will always be die-hard fans of having a clutch and shift stick
Old 04-12-09, 05:17 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

i am lazy i would never buy a manual only a paddle shift etc!
Old 04-12-09, 05:57 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

I meant the F shift's at a .10 of a second. Faster than the ferrari F430. And about on par with a 599.
Old 04-12-09, 05:58 PM
FBTO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
It's not about shifting faster. Some people just prefer having a manual shift stick because they like the the 'feel and interaction'. Power steering assists you in turning your steering wheel, but there are still a lot of people who wants heavier steering

In the end..it's preference. Many have converted to the paddle shifters, but there will always be die-hard fans of having a clutch and shift stick
Exactly!!! I am not looking for faster shifts. I am looking for the interaction. The one I feel on my motorcycle. Flying through the gears, dropping the clutch and playing with that friction point.

Yes manual is slow and old, but still fun!

I will NEVER buy and auto bike.
Old 04-12-09, 06:15 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DFLORES
i am lazy i would never buy a manual only a paddle shift etc!
i second this...although having a manual is fun....socal traffic with a manual is no fun
Old 04-12-09, 06:32 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg

I agree.

When my dad was shopping for a 911 we drove a number of cars with the PDK as well as the standard 6 speed. We both came to the conclusion that the standard stick was a more engaging drive. Had I been buying a 911 as a weekend toy I would have gone with a standard 6 speed and not worried one bit about being .2 seconds slower in the 1/4 mile compared to the PDK.

Quick Reply: Why didn't Lexus make a manual version of the F?