IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Why didn't Lexus make a manual version of the F?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-09, 07:03 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it depends what your looking for.. maybe Lexus should have came out with both a 6 speed manual and the 8 speed auto. I think the sales would have definitely been higher if they came out with both, because many people are deferred away from the IS-F. Mainly cause there is not a manual transmission available.

+1 for Auto, ATL traffic is horrible!!

FYI, I also think its dumb to have the IS250 in AWD and manual, but not offer that option on the IS350 (AWD & Manual)...
Old 04-12-09, 07:16 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by verals05
FYI, I also think its dumb to have the IS250 in AWD and manual, but not offer that option on the IS350 (AWD & Manual)...
I'm guessing Lexus didn't have access to a manual in the current Toyota inventory that could reliably handle the power in the 350. I'm also guessing the bean counters didn't see enough of a market to justify sourcing a transmission that would be up to the task. Let's face it, most people still don't associate Lexus with performance.
Old 04-12-09, 07:28 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

because why would they? the IS F is the first true performance car built my Lexus for a purpose
Old 04-12-09, 07:41 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One strong selling point was the 0.1s shifting capability of the IS-F, the marketing approach would have to be totally different if they had included a 6-speed version.
Old 04-12-09, 08:15 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it is semantics, but what the F need it's not a stick, it's a clutch...

I really love the transmission on the F, in manual mode, it does all the things you will expect from a performance transmission, change gear crazy fast, hold gears, blip throttle on downshifts... No what is missing is the control, power modulation and smoothness (or brutality, your choice) that the clutch operation brings.

If I can get the exact same transmission, with a 3rd pedal (for when I want to light up the tires in 2nd gear at 60MPH !) then this car will be close to perfection...
Old 04-12-09, 08:51 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Keep dreaming.

I look forward to the day when no one offers a manual anymore and this kind of question can finally be put to rest.

And yes, that day is coming. The fastest cars in the world don't use a manual anymore, there is no point to it.
Old 04-12-09, 09:53 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kalvano
Keep dreaming.

I look forward to the day when no one offers a manual anymore and this kind of question can finally be put to rest.

And yes, that day is coming. The fastest cars in the world don't use a manual anymore, there is no point to it.
speed is not everything. a speedier car is not necessary a better sports car and there are many examples of that on the market. the vast majority of sports car owners do not take their cars to the race tracks and for them maximal achievable speed is not the most important. rather, it's driving enjoyment. it's the complicated interaction between man and machine that many of us enjoy.

in the US and many other countries, the traditional manual transmission may die eventually, but new technology is likely to keep automated manual transmission viable and thus manual transmission may always be an available option as part of automated manual package.
Old 04-12-09, 11:19 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Default yeah but,

Originally Posted by MicaISF
speed is not everything. a speedier car is not necessary a better sports car and there are many examples of that on the market. the vast majority of sports car owners do not take their cars to the race tracks and for them maximal achievable speed is not the most important. rather, it's driving enjoyment. it's the complicated interaction between man and machine that many of us enjoy.
it doesn't matter if lexus claim 0.1 seconds shifts, i miss rowing my own gears during hard acceleration.

but with that said, in bumper to bumper traffic OR having your scaredy-cat girl in the car OR running from store to store only a block away- basically in real life - i really enjoy the simple slide to the right when i don't have time to concentrate on what gear i'm in.

now if only lexus could only invent a transmission with an optional-use clutch with a stick of 1-2-3-4-5-6-R-D (for drive), then this thread could die, and a new complaint thread can be started
Old 04-12-09, 11:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,421 Posts

You guys are funny. Manual? No way. Total waste of time and money. I owned nothing but manuals for years, and I learned to drive a clutch when I was 6 years old in the barnyard on a Ford Model 8N. That was 43 years ago.

The first car I bought new with an auto was my IS350 with hopes the paddles would be worthwhile. They weren't. But after driving the F with paddles and then driving my Supra with the Getrag it's pretty clear why the F is WAY better. It never misses a shift. It's never slow to shift. It never hits 2nd when I need 4th or 4th when I want 6th. I don't have to avoid shifting into 1st if I'm moving for fear of breaking my 1st gear synchro (yes, I did this on my Getrag in my Supra). I'll never have to resurface a flywheel or replace an insert because the rivets scored the insert and made me buy the whole flywheel/clutch and install it again.

The fastest and quickest drag racers don't have manuals. If you want to be competitive in any road event where you're up against a paddle shift car, you're pretty much going to have to work twice as hard just to keep up. And like everyone says, it's sure nice to have the option not to have to do anything at all, just put it in D and go to the store for groceries.

I still have my Supra. It's still fun to drive. But it's a lot more effortless to drive the F and the attention I save not having to deal with all the tasks of manual shifting I can use to focus on the three most important things: course, heading, and traction.
Old 04-13-09, 12:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by FBTO
If I can get confirmation that a 2010 F will have manual, I will wait for it...but I am dying...I really want manual. I thought I would live without it...
It will not. Does this answer your question?
Old 04-13-09, 08:33 AM
FBTO
Pole Position

Ok then, I will get over it....

So should I start a new topic...."How to get the most out of the manual/sport mode?"

Like, should I take my foot of the "GO" pedal when shifting up or down? Should I left my left foot into the dead pedal of the far left when changing gears?
Old 04-13-09, 09:53 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FBTO
Why oh why?? I am having thoughts of selling it now for an M3, only because of the manual. If I can get confirmation that a 2010 F will have manual, I will wait for it...but I am dying...I really want manual. I thought I would live without it...

Maybe it is just me. I guess we will see after I put on my summer tires this week. Maybe the 19's will sort me out. Maybe my track day at the end of the month will help shake these crazy thoughts from my head!!!

Am I the only one feeling this way??

Why didn't MB make a manual with the new C63, why did BMW come out with a 7-speed DCT? More and more automakers are leaning towards auto with manual option. Technology is getting really advanced and I think (myself included) going back to a manual will be rather difficult after enjoying the best of both worlds.
Old 04-13-09, 06:59 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

It's all a matter of preference... but if you are miss the stick shifting and footwork of a manual, then you bought the wrong car! If it's such a big issue, wouldn't it have been a deal breaker for you at the test drive?

I personally enjoy the flexibility of the auto + paddles, and I really don't like manuals. It sounds like the e90 m3 is a better fit for you.
Old 04-14-09, 10:26 PM
LexFather

Here are the answers you seek.
1. Lexus manuals traditionally have been average at best in feel, etc.
2. Lexus nor Toyota has a manual that could handle the IS-F's power over time
3. A manual would likely have gotten the IS-F a gas guzzler tax as
4. A manual would have gotten less MPG
5. People "say" they will buy a Lexus manual but they don't "buy" them
6. The IS-F was a skunkworks project using Lexus parts from other cars. Thus the 5.0 engine from the 600h and 8 speed auto etc. They had to do it fast and in secret. No time for a brand new manual. Off the shelf parts were used.
7. Addtional cost of making this manual to be used in maybe one car?

Lexus is probably never going to offer a high powered manual car from the factory. Would I like to see one. Sure. Is the 8 speed in the IS-F incredible. Yes.

FYI the last manual F1 cars were used nearly 2 decades ago.

Old 04-20-09, 10:57 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

...because 99% of US can't drive a 6sp and F would still be on the dealers' lots, as we speak

Quick Reply: Why didn't Lexus make a manual version of the F?