IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Rear Deck RATTLE!!! :( Help Needed....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 05:46 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Rear Deck RATTLE!!! :( Help Needed....

This has been the one thing that has been absolutely driving me crazy. I know many of you including myself have experienced the rear view mirror shake(which YES I can live with), but have any of you had the rattle/buzz from the rear deck while playing your music loud?

I was at a local dealer having something else checked out and mentioned this to the tech when I was leaving. He told me to make an appointment come back and he'll take a closer look at it. Also said it's probably a minor fix "something that could be solved with some felt." Felt? Does that make any sense to you guys? Seems like the ghetto way to me.

After hearing this I tried to solve the problem myself, went in the backseat and checked if anything looked loose...but it didn't. I did take my jacket and stuffed it between the glass and the rear deck and POOF all of a sudden the rattle was gone. I'm not gonna drive around with a jacket back there, so once it's pulled out the rattles back of course.

Let me know if any of you have experienced this. Help me out...any suggestions? Any of you bring back to the dealer because of this and have them fix it with specific instructions? Thanks in advance CL.
Old 04-15-09, 06:19 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I had the same issue with mine. Try checking from the trunk, tapping on the upper trim right under the rear deck. I believe it's the rear trunk courtesy light which is tapping the metal making noise. If it makes that noise, point it out to your next service visit.
Old 04-15-09, 08:11 PM
HenrysISF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My setup rattled like no other until the dynamat. Afterwords it is sooooo much better. Main parts that rattled were the third brake light and the rear view. After the were quieted the moonroof started to rattle. ( The piece that pops up after you slide the moonroof back.) I will get to this either this weekend or next weekend and then let everyone know how it went.
Check the brake light and just put a piece of dynamat on it. One on top and two little pieces on the bottom and that will help 95% of it.
Old 04-15-09, 08:19 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HenrysISF
My setup rattled like no other until the dynamat. Afterwords it is sooooo much better. Main parts that rattled were the third brake light and the rear view. After the were quieted the moonroof started to rattle. ( The piece that pops up after you slide the moonroof back.) I will get to this either this weekend or next weekend and then let everyone know how it went.
Check the brake light and just put a piece of dynamat on it. One on top and two little pieces on the bottom and that will help 95% of it.
Yes, I'm thinking the rattling isn't coming from inside the trunk but the upper rear deck. More specifically by the third brake light/glass area like you said. Where exactly did you put dynamat? The entire rear deck area underneath?
Old 04-15-09, 08:25 PM
HenrysISF
Rookie

Most of the top of the rear deck, the rear doors, the trunk lid, side of trunk, 3rd brake light, rear view mirror and not sure where the rest is. (couple others spots.) Car does feel a little heavier and would not recommend to everyone but damn then rattles.
By the way Exclusiv.. Your car looks yummy.. What are you using for the drop?
Thanks and have a great weekend fellas.
Old 04-16-09, 05:09 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

i kind wish it did not have that light there it would have been better with a light on the trunk like my 645cic was. or like the sc430 is
Old 04-16-09, 06:51 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,351 Posts

Originally Posted by DFLORES
i kind wish it did not have that light there it would have been better with a light on the trunk like my 645cic was. or like the sc430 is
+1. No rattles on mine, but the damn light

Lou
Old 04-16-09, 07:27 AM
ISF FAN
Pole Position

No rattles from the rear, however lots of rattle from dash area. Lexus finally fixed, said that a fastener broke in the dash and this was causing the rattle. Since then, perfect.
Old 04-16-09, 08:00 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So far I have no rattles, and I play the music LOUD.
Old 04-16-09, 08:11 AM
HenrysISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by Juanca
So far I have no rattles, and I play the music LOUD.
Stock Levinson system? Just wondering because if you are aftermarket and not rattling that is incredible.
Old 04-16-09, 10:33 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock ML. I guess most IS-F owners don't go aftermarket on stereos, I may be wrong though.
Old 04-16-09, 12:44 PM
HenrysISF
Rookie

Haven't found many that have. I have just added a 12" sub and amp and removed the factory woofer.
Still haven't got around to speakers yet but still sounds 10000000x better then stock.
Old 04-17-09, 02:28 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Update:

So I thought it might be the plastic from the rear brake light rattling against the rear windshield's glass...but that isn't the issue. Sounds now like it is my entire rear deck rattling because when I press down on it there is no longer a problem.

Is dynomat my only option? Or will the dealer fix it this? Or Should I have faith that they even know how to fix something like this?!
Old 04-17-09, 02:40 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HenrysISF
Haven't found many that have. I have just added a 12" sub and amp and removed the factory woofer.
Still haven't got around to speakers yet but still sounds 10000000x better then stock.
Why did you remove the factory sub? I am looking into adding a custom box 12 and amp, what did you go with?

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Update:

So I thought it might be the plastic from the rear brake light rattling against the rear windshield's glass...but that isn't the issue. Sounds now like it is my entire rear deck rattling because when I press down on it there is no longer a problem.

Is dynomat my only option? Or will the dealer fix it this? Or Should I have faith that they even know how to fix something like this?!
I don't think I have a rattle Do you have a system?

On a side note, I went to hear the JoeZ exhaust after you and fell in love with it. Now I want to make the car even louder via radio and exhaust.
Old 04-17-09, 06:35 AM
HenrysISF
Rookie

The factory sub served no purpose after the aftermarket sub was installed. When removed.. it actually turns into a big port into the cabin.
I have a single 12" FI- Q subwoofer, powered by a US AMPS MD 2D.

Quick Reply: Rear Deck RATTLE!!! :( Help Needed....