IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

K&N Intake Released for the F

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 10:05 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
K&N does not add any piggy backs to fool the computer. Unlike the other intake, they need a piggy back to fool the MAF sensor there is the correct amount of airflow going through. Without it, you will get a check engine light.
Thanks Flip. Didn't mean to confuse people, just wanted some clarification on the ECU part of the SRT intake
Old 04-17-09, 10:06 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
Thanks Flip. Didn't mean to confuse people, just wanted some clarification on the ECU part of the SRT intake
Understood now..

Does anyone think that the oil will be a problem as if was with the drop in filter?
Old 04-17-09, 10:16 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Does anyone think that the oil will be a problem as if was with the drop in filter?
I know many of you have experienced problems with the K&N Drop In. However, I have not. At least not yet. I have put over 4K miles on mine. Performance has not changed, and I'm still getting between 20 and 22 MPG from my F. Again, I consider mileage like that for a car as capable as the F to be phenomenal. My intake tract is currently made up of the stock intake box, the K&N Drop In, and the JoeZ intake Tube.

Lou
Old 04-17-09, 11:07 AM
stick
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just stay with the stock intake. It pulls cold air in and works great. All these intakes, and others that will be released will make no more than 10whp--TOPS!!!--a gain you will never feel/see. Just keep it stock or get the JoeZ intake pipe (it's less expensive than the rest and gives some results while keeping the cold air/stock system). The SRT system has to use a piggy back, and I think they dynoed in 5th, not accurate compared to 6th gear.

I bet AEM will make a true CAI that will be piped into the fender and place the filter element actually in the fender. A great design, but these are always a pain to clean/maintain.

Just keep it stock.....
Old 04-17-09, 11:22 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm interesting posts.

If anyone is interested we carry all of K&N's products. We can probably work out a deal for the first guy to get this and do a write-up if anyone is interested.

We are always looking for ways to help you guys get good info on parts we sell.
Old 04-17-09, 11:41 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stick
Just stay with the stock intake. It pulls cold air in and works great. All these intakes, and others that will be released will make no more than 10whp--TOPS!!!--a gain you will never feel/see. Just keep it stock or get the JoeZ intake pipe (it's less expensive than the rest and gives some results while keeping the cold air/stock system). The SRT system has to use a piggy back, and I think they dynoed in 5th, not accurate compared to 6th gear.

I bet AEM will make a true CAI that will be piped into the fender and place the filter element actually in the fender. A great design, but these are always a pain to clean/maintain.

Just keep it stock.....

Good Observation the JoeZ gives at least 5whp..
Old 04-17-09, 12:31 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Hmm interesting posts.

If anyone is interested we carry all of K&N's products. We can probably work out a deal for the first guy to get this and do a write-up if anyone is interested.

honestly... if you can get it for 250$ i'd be willing to try it..
Old 04-17-09, 01:02 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's do this, I buy it for $250 and I let you do the write-up.

Originally Posted by btwanky
honestly... if you can get it for 250$ i'd be willing to try it..
Old 04-17-09, 01:11 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Hmm interesting posts.

Im down. Send the me the specifics and im in
Old 04-17-09, 01:21 PM
ISF-88
Pole Position

There is a member named jwain on a diff ISF forum that has this intake. He was the one who was letting us know
that k&n was making one cuz supposively his isf was a test mule and k&n custom'd one for him. He claims it gained 28whp
as well but there no proven dyno from him alone. Only the dyno graph from k&n. Everyone called the 28whp gain BS and I requested him
to go dyno it himself on a diff dyno from baseline then after with intake. He never did it. So I smell some BS about the gains. Like who has ever seen 28whp just from an intake on a NA car and especially on a dyno? Maybe on FI cars and realistcally most intakes are hard to see gains on a dyno
Cuz of not actual air blowing into it. If showned maybe 5-10 whp at most.
Old 04-17-09, 01:22 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
Just wanted to pass this information on to anyone who might be interested. I was searching around and decided to check out the K&N site for fun and found they released their intake system for the F. Looks like a single stage intake system much like the SRT...I wonder if it comes with any type of ECU modifications like the SRT one does...Discuss and enjoy

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=69-8703TS
Thanks for the headsup, Mike.....I know there are many who still have faith in K&N, tho I've decided to switch to Tom's.
I trust the dry system more to not upset the MAF sensor.

It arrived today, coincidentally, and I just installed. She'll be back on the road within days and the first stop is the dealer to install my JoeZ exhaust.

Cheers,
Colin.
Old 04-17-09, 11:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

do not start gathering any GB interest unless it's from vendors
Old 04-18-09, 01:01 AM
550fresh
Rookie

Default where did u order it

how much did u get the k&n 4 and where did u order it from...
Old 04-18-09, 08:05 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF-88
There is a member named jwain on a diff ISF forum that has this intake. He was the one who was letting us know
that k&n was making one cuz supposively his isf was a test mule and k&n custom'd one for him. He claims it gained 28whp
as well but there no proven dyno from him alone. Only the dyno graph from k&n. Everyone called the 28whp gain BS and I requested him
to go dyno it himself on a diff dyno from baseline then after with intake. He never did it. So I smell some BS about the gains. Like who has ever seen 28whp just from an intake on a NA car and especially on a dyno? Maybe on FI cars and realistcally most intakes are hard to see gains on a dyno
Cuz of not actual air blowing into it. If showned maybe 5-10 whp at most.
It appears that K&N used Mr. jwain's car as a mule. IMHO, they couldn't have picked a worse spokesperson for their product. Mr. jwain was not articulate, he was able to post very small pics of the product, but he could not defend himself against skeptics or answer any questions poised to him in an understandable manner. A typical post appears below:

Originally Posted by jwain
Will For Sure Gain A Lot Of Horsepower I Raced M5 With This Intake And Took It At Bottom End Until 80 Miles An Hour Well Worth It
My point is, auto enthusiasts in this niche of the marketplace are somewhat sophisticated. Any manufacturer that makes a product that is claimed to improve it, needs to pick folks who can promote that product and present themselves well, not someone who just happens to own the vehicle it will be used on. K&N made a very poor choice here.

Lou
Old 04-18-09, 12:45 PM
ISF-88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
It appears that K&N used Mr. jwain's car as a mule. IMHO, they couldn't have picked a worse spokesperson for their product. Mr. jwain was not articulate, he was able to post very small pics of the product, but he could not defend himself against skeptics or answer any questions poised to him in an understandable manner. A typical post appears below:

My point is, auto enthusiasts in this niche of the marketplace are somewhat sophisticated. Any manufacturer that makes a product that is claimed to improve it, needs to pick folks who can promote that product and present themselves well, not someone who just happens to own the vehicle it will be used on. K&N made a very poor choice here.

Lou

Ya my english grammer isn't great but compared to his I feel 10 x smarter haha jkjk. Anyhow I bought this k&n intake to test and see for myself. It wasn't too $$$. I got it thru my friend's local car shop and he got it to me at 350 cad. Since I'm from canada all the taxes and duties were included in the price so it wasn't too bad to test out. I didn't buy it to help k&n promote, I bought it to see if it actually gains anything close to what they claim. Even if it did gain a bit more then the Joe Z, I would probabely stick with the Joe Z intake and get the Tom's air filter insert cuz I like the sound better on the stock intake anyways. On the other hand if the k&n actually gained 20+ whp then I'd just keep the k&n.