Stacked Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-09, 12:11 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s4play
Interesting topic -

I need an auto so that rules out the RS4 but it's probably the most practical of the 4 super sedans. Awesome exhaust note, quattro, and roomiest interior with the plus of fold down rear seats and room for 5 passengers.

rk

You forgot to mention that Audi is horrible when it comes to reliability. German cars are great to listen to and look at but by 10,000 miles, my B7 S4 was on its second trunk lock, power window slider and dipping adaptive headlight assembly Which of course had to be special ordered from Germany
Old 04-22-09, 11:32 AM
maj75
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by malujerry
I don't even care about now, when people ask I just tell them Lexus put it in there to help me get to 170mph. Besides, it's usually a 35 year old bimmer fan boy still living at home or trailer park trash that brings up the exhaust or lack of a manual. Overall, I was happy to save stacks of cash (compared to the German competitors) and felt the stacked exhaust was the only exterior negative drawback.

Interior drawbacks for me is the cheap clock, annoying navigation that I can't manipulate while driving, and having the e-brake on to watch movies.
At least you admit that the exhaust is a negative. If it was actually a functional quad exhaust, I might not complain as much, but the dummy quads are ugly, serve no purpose, and make an aftermarket exhaust difficult to add. Will be one of the first things to go on mine.

The aero thing is BS as well. The car ain't that aero anyway. A CF overlay/diffuser with round cutouts would be very doable. It would not affect the aerodymanics of the car in the least. The problem is demand, there are so many people with the stock quads that could not use it, there would be a really small market.

The lack of a manual option is a negative. It may not matter to somebody who can't drive a stick, but is does matter to many driving enthusiasts. That is why almost every other performance vehicle comes with a stick option. If I did not have to drive a Lexus (because of where I work), trust me, I would would be keeping my 6 speed C6 and not be driving a Lexus. The IS-F to me is the lesser of two evils, between the manual IS250 and the IS-F. Especially considering the complaints regarding the truck 6 speed in the IS250. Lexus made a business decision to turn its back on drivers who wanted a performance car with a manual. BMW and Infinity will be happy to take sales from people who are not willing to give up their desire for a manual, in exchange for the other documented positive features of a Lexus.
Old 04-22-09, 12:21 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They do serve a purpose, it's been explained already, the design is not only for show but in fact the tips act as a diffuser to help cool the exhaust gases and prevent lift at high speeds.

Originally Posted by maj75
At least you admit that the exhaust is a negative. If it was actually a functional quad exhaust, I might not complain as much, but the dummy quads are ugly, serve no purpose, and make an aftermarket exhaust difficult to add. Will be one of the first things to go on mine.
Hi-tech auto transmissions are the way to go now. The lack of a manual transmission is not a problem at all, take a look at all current exotics, or GT-Rs and AMGs as a closer market. The only competition to the IS-F that offers a manual tranny is the M3, and more customers are buying the DCT version than the 6-speed, this is why:

Manual M3
0-100kph: 4.8s
0-200kph: 16.3s
80-120(6th): 7.6s
fuel cons.: 13.8l
lap time: 1:35.41

DCT M3
0-100kph: 4.6s
0-200kph 15.2s
80-120(6th): 6.3s
fuel cons.: 13.0l
lap time: 1:35.11

The lack of a manual option is a negative. It may not matter to somebody who can't drive a stick, but is does matter to many driving enthusiasts. That is why almost every other performance vehicle comes with a stick option. If I did not have to drive a Lexus (because of where I work), trust me, I would would be keeping my 6 speed C6 and not be driving a Lexus. The IS-F to me is the lesser of two evils, between the manual IS250 and the IS-F. Especially considering the complaints regarding the truck 6 speed in the IS250. Lexus made a business decision to turn its back on drivers who wanted a performance car with a manual. BMW and Infinity will be happy to take sales from people who are not willing to give up their desire for a manual, in exchange for the other documented positive features of a Lexus.
Old 04-22-09, 01:11 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by malujerry
.......... annoying navigation that I can't manipulate while driving, and having the e-brake on to watch movies.
^^ The solution to that issue is below.... Best purchase I ever made..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4262431-post6.html

Ok.. back on Topic...

I actually really like the styling of the Quad Exhaust Diffusers on the IS-F

This setup is being used more and more lately...

See below.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Just for kicks!!! (sorry no inside shots of Tips for these cars)

Bugatti

Lambo

Audi R8

Ferrari California
Ok I'm done....

Joe Z
Old 04-22-09, 01:53 PM
IceIridium
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Just to add to that the new NSX...

I think most people's problem with the IS-F pipes are not the fact they're stacked... it's the fact they're OVAL stacked. If Lexus came out with them with circular pipes (a la Ferrari California) there would have been fewer whining about them. (except of course from the BMW fan camp, who would complain about ANYthing without a propeller badge).

Even from a lot of naysayers, they've got to admit the IS-F pipes was a modern pioneer of the quad stacked exhaust design, whether the ones that came out after the IS-F used round or squared finishers, the point is it's a new trend that will continue to persist in many future cars to come... but the IS-F came out with it first.

Gotta hand it to Lexus though, props for not doing a standard quad setup and I'd bet they knew it was going to be a point of contention when they finalized the design, but went with it anyway.

That being said, you don't like it? Don't get it! Or change it! :P
Old 04-22-09, 02:09 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

having the tips not connected to the actual exhaust serves a very good purpose... its to prevent rattling, on the bumper.. with the tips not connected.. the rattling exhaust is disguised
Old 04-22-09, 02:09 PM
maj75
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
They do serve a purpose, it's been explained already, the design is not only for show but in fact the tips act as a diffuser to help cool the exhaust gases and prevent lift at high speeds.

Hi-tech auto transmissions are the way to go now. The lack of a manual transmission is not a problem at all, take a look at all current exotics, or GT-Rs and AMGs as a closer market. The only competition to the IS-F that offers a manual tranny is the M3, and more customers are buying the DCT version than the 6-speed, this is why:

Manual M3
0-100kph: 4.8s
0-200kph: 16.3s
80-120(6th): 7.6s
fuel cons.: 13.8l
lap time: 1:35.41

DCT M3
0-100kph: 4.6s
0-200kph 15.2s
80-120(6th): 6.3s
fuel cons.: 13.0l
lap time: 1:35.11

That diffuser/lift BS was invented as an excuse for the ugly stacked dummy exhaust. Like I said this car is not that aero. It is worse than the stock IS. All the pics of the other exhausts are FUNCTIONAL and don't require diffusers to reduce lift. I wonder how Ferrari and Lambo missed that one?

Let me guess, you can't drive a stick

Last edited by maj75; 04-22-09 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-22-09, 02:40 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

That diffuser/lift BS was invented as an excuse for the ugly stacked dummy exhaust. Like I said this car is not that aero. It is worse than the stock IS. All the pics of the other exhausts are FUNCTIONAL and don't require diffusers to reduce lift. I wonder how Ferrari and Lambo missed that one?

Please stop trolling, no one cares what you have to say! You're starting to make even me look intelligent and that is something that is near impossible to accomplish
Old 04-22-09, 03:07 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

but the dummy quads are ugly, serve no purpose, and make an aftermarket exhaust difficult to add. Will be one of the first things to go on mine.
It's not difficult at all. There are already a few companies out there that have made an aftermarket exhaust for the F. Some with 20+ rwhp gains.
Old 04-22-09, 04:49 PM
bj1888
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by btwanky
having the tips not connected to the actual exhaust serves a very good purpose... its to prevent rattling, on the bumper.. with the tips not connected.. the rattling exhaust is disguised
I'm pretty sure with all the engineers working on the F, that somebody could've found a more elegant way to keep the exhaust from rattling than a vestigial tail-pipe. Look at the pics that Joe Z posted: all of those are actual working quad tips, and I doubt any of them suffer rattling problems. It seems like a kludge fix; how much could it have cost Toyota/Lexus to use 4 real tips instead of the wacky setup they used?
Old 04-22-09, 05:00 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bj1888
I'm pretty sure with all the engineers working on the F, that somebody could've found a more elegant way to keep the exhaust from rattling than a vestigial tail-pipe. Look at the pics that Joe Z posted: all of those are actual working quad tips, and I doubt any of them suffer rattling problems. It seems like a kludge fix; how much could it have cost Toyota/Lexus to use 4 real tips instead of the wacky setup they used?
Correction: All of the pictures that Joe Z posted show a similar set up as the F, where the diffuser is integrated in the bumper, and the tips from the muffler are feeding into the diffuser, but not connected. So none of those are "actual working quad tips" per your definition.

To be honest, this setup requires far more engineering than just leaving a hole for 4 tips to pass through. I appreciate the design that went into it, because it also allows aftermarket setups to increase HP without altering the look. Lexus could have just easily went with your standard dual exhaust setup and called it a day, no "fix" required. Everyone is obviously entitled their opinion on whether they like the looks or not, but it's ridiculous to make baseless claims on engineering/technology founded on wild speculation.
Old 04-22-09, 05:14 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by primecut
Correction: All of the pictures that Joe Z posted show a similar set up as the F, where the diffuser is integrated in the bumper, and the tips from the muffler are feeding into the diffuser, but not connected. So none of those are "actual working quad tips" per your definition.

To be honest, this setup requires far more engineering than just leaving a hole for 4 tips to pass through. I appreciate the design that went into it, because it also allows aftermarket setups to increase HP without altering the look. Lexus could have just easily went with your standard dual exhaust setup and called it a day, no "fix" required. Everyone is obviously entitled their opinion on whether they like the looks or not, but it's ridiculous to make baseless claims on engineering/technology founded on wild speculation.

Wild speculation? But the tips are "vestigial" and "kludge"
Old 04-22-09, 05:17 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll send you a quarter and you can call someone who cares...

Originally Posted by bj1888
Actually it would have been cheaper. But you can't talk sense to someone without any.
Old 04-22-09, 05:21 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I'll send you a quarter and you can call someone who cares...

Actually it would have been cheaper. But you can't talk sense to someone without any.

but the tips are "vestigial" and "kludge"
Old 04-22-09, 05:24 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 8speed
but the tips are "vestigial" and "kludge"
I won't tell you that I cry myself to sleep every night b/c of this fact.

Quick Reply: Stacked Exhaust Question