IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Stacked Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 03:24 PM
srjasmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stacked Exhaust Question

I have narrowed it down and I'm getting close to finally buying a C63, M3 or ISF. I am leaning towards and really like the ISF except for the stacked exhaust (please don't attack me too hard). I've searched and have only found one aftermarket company that sells non-stacked exhaust, it's one pipe on each side using the original openings and doesn't really look like it is supposed to be there.

So finally my question, is there a company out there that makes a side by side quad exhaust with a modified/molded back side so it fits and looks professionally built?

Some folks can buy a car and get rid of it for another if they don't like it, however I have been working towards this for a while and want to make certain it's something I will like for the long term. The car I have now was bought in 1996 so I will have this for a few years. Any help would be highly appreciated as it will help in my descision. I would also like to know if other ISF owners will shoot at me as they drive by for changing it
Old 04-17-09, 03:32 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

Worse comes to worse.. paint them black.. or w/e color your car will be.. it will be a camo of some sort... in my opinion.. I believe the IS-F really is the nicer out of the 3 cars... the c63.. has a $h1ty interior personally.. and the m3's control panels look like its a car from the 1980s ... (to boxy and such).. the is-f as with any japanese car.. just looks modern and has lot more technology besides the engine.. for a everyday car... i would recommend the isf... plus, M3's are a dime a dozen.. i see atleast 1 everyday

Last edited by btwanky; 04-17-09 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-17-09, 04:05 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not aware of any "official" aftermarket exhaust systems for the F with the regular quad setup, and there is a reason why. Most F owners prefer the stock outlets because it's part of what defines the car's unique character. When you see them, you know it's an F. I'm sure you can just go to any muffler shop and have them build you a custom setup, it's really not that complicated. They can use a borla dual tip, dual muffler setup. The only thing is that the bumper would still have hole for the outlets.
Old 04-17-09, 04:33 PM
batdude
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i could have easily bought the AMG or the M3.

to me, it became a question of QUALITY, REQUIRED MAINTEANCE and LONGEVITY.

personally, i think Merc and BMW are waaaaay overrated....just my opinion.

doug
Old 04-17-09, 05:33 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the site! Is the company that your looking at that has the single tip exhaust setup Tanabe? A company called Greddy has a pretty cool looking exhaust for the F that they showed at SEMA back in November. They were willing to do a group buy but not enough people wanted to purchase the system so it never happened.

Other then Tanabe, all other exhaust systems out right now keep the stock tips because, like mentioned before, it shapes the car and makes it sound out. Like Primecut said, you can always go to a custom exhaust shop and have them fabricate one for you if you wanted
Old 04-17-09, 06:29 PM
YJacketISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by btwanky
Worse comes to worse.. paint them black.. or w/e color your car will be.. it will be a camo of some sort... in my opinion.. I believe the IS-F really is the nicer out of the 3 cars... the c63.. and a $h1ty interior personally.. and the m3's control panels look like its a car from the 1980s ... (to boxy and such).. the is-f as with any japanese car.. just looks modern and has lot more technology besides the engine.. for a everyday car... i would recommend the isf... plus, M3's are a dime a dozen.. i see atleast 1 everyday
Yea, I agree. The interior is far superior. The only thing I find funny is every time I look at the interior and see the clock, it always makes me feel like they put that in as an after thought. They were like "Oh we got all this cool stuff in and we forgot to put in a clock, so let's just slap this tiny digital display in there and hope people don't notice." Other than that it's nothing short of sweet.
Old 04-17-09, 09:33 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL, exactly my thoughts.

Originally Posted by YJacketISF
Yea, I agree. The interior is far superior. The only thing I find funny is every time I look at the interior and see the clock, it always makes me feel like they put that in as an after thought. They were like "Oh we got all this cool stuff in and we forgot to put in a clock, so let's just slap this tiny digital display in there and hope people don't notice." Other than that it's nothing short of sweet.
Old 04-17-09, 11:05 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

LOL.. that funny as hell.. i thought the same thing when i got mine... its rather blurry.. (kinda dark).. it reminded me of something old
Old 04-17-09, 11:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,033 Likes on 2,445 Posts

Originally Posted by btwanky
.... it reminded me of something old
It is old. Dates WAY back to a different era. The worst part (from my perspective) is there is a sub-microsecond accurate clock source through the nav, and they didn't see fit to put a clock function for TOD on the touchscreen. They could even do it now as a software enhancement for all Gen 5 nav systems (really ALL generations of nav systems) and sell it along with the map update.
Old 04-17-09, 11:10 PM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Could not have said it better
Old 04-17-09, 11:37 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who cares

I don't even care about now, when people ask I just tell them Lexus put it in there to help me get to 170mph. Besides, it's usually a 35 year old bimmer fan boy still living at home or trailer park trash that brings up the exhaust or lack of a manual. Overall, I was happy to save stacks of cash (compared to the German competitors) and felt the stacked exhaust was the only exterior negative drawback.

Interior drawbacks for me is the cheap clock, annoying navigation that I can't manipulate while driving, and having the e-brake on to watch movies.

Last edited by malujerry; 04-18-09 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-17-09, 11:52 PM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

srjasmith,

I should also add that changing the rear bumper configuration around will also affect the aerodynamic properties of the car. It was designed to add down force to the car at speeds over 100 MPH. I mention this since you are in Germany and have the autobahn This might be a somewhat important item to note
Old 04-18-09, 01:10 AM
srjasmith
Driver School Candidate

Yea, the company is Tanabe everywhere I look that one comes up. A couple of the main reasons I like the ISF is the technology and reliability.

Thanks for the input, most of the thoughts are similar to mine. Except for a couple, didn't know about the downforce issue and I guess it's time for me to move out of this Rheinland-Pfalz trailer park and pick up an automatic.
Old 04-18-09, 01:43 AM
btwanky
Lead Lap

can the isx50 bumper go on the isf?
Old 04-18-09, 11:59 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting topic - I've been thinking of doing an aftermarket custom dual stacked tip look but so far it's more headache than it's worth.

Buy the IS-F, I drove the 2 cars you mentioned PLUS the RS4 which I think should be on your list too. I need an auto so that rules out the RS4 but it's probably the most practical of the 4 super sedans. Awesome exhaust note, quattro, and roomiest interior with the plus of fold down rear seats and room for 5 passengers.

rk

Quick Reply: Stacked Exhaust Question