IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Taking one for the team to test out the new K&N intake.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-09, 01:39 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DRE1615
I still don't understand how this plays in with the OEM "dual stage instake." Is the K&N eliminating "stage 1" and just having "stage 2" open at all RPM's?

It seems so typical K&N but at the same time it is confusing with all the tech crap from the factory.

Anyone have any input on that?

I can almost guarantee there will be ZERO gains with this intake. A similar setup (SRT) loses power without the air/fuel controller thing they use and even with it the car is still short about 3hp from the stock intake.

Also the thing with the dual stage seems kinda confusing. There is in fact a dual stage on the intake, but the sound everyone is hearing at 3600rpm is not just from the intake, but is also coming from the 2-stage intake manifolds. You guys with SRT and K&N should be able to vouch for that.

Good luck to those who plan on testing this K&N kit, but don't be too disappointed with the results. Also there has been known issues with the MAF and the oil vapors that come off the oiled air filters.

Last edited by caymandive; 05-01-09 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-01-09, 01:44 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caymandive
I can almost guarantee there will be ZERO gains with this intake. A similar setup (SRT) loses power without the air/fuel controller thing they use and even with it the car is still short about 3hp from the stock intake.

Also the thing with the dual stage seems kinda confusing. There is in fact a dual stage on the intake, but the sound everyone is hearing at 3600rpm is not from the intake, but is coming from the a 2-stage intake manifolds. You guys with SRT and K&N should be able to vouch for that.

Good luck to those who plan on testing this K&N kit, but don't be too disappointed with the results. Also there has been known issues with the MAF and the oil vapors that come off the oiled air filters.

Enough speculation and conjecture........will someone get this thing on a dyno already
Old 05-01-09, 01:49 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 8speed
Enough speculation and conjecture........will someone get this thing on a dyno already
Sorry about the conjecture, but I've seen and been part of enough intake tests on the 2IS to have my legitimate doubts.

Good luck all!
Old 05-29-09, 01:33 PM
anajri
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8speed

Dyno DYno Dyno Dyno

anyone anyone?
Old 05-29-09, 02:11 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DSM2GS400
28hp from an intake sounds a little far fetched...
Given the performance "levels" obtained by this car from the factory, I find it pretty hard to belive that the Lexus engineers would be so narrow minded as to over-look an extra approx. 30hp simply by redesigning the intake...
Wish you all the best but sounds like a stretch...
I would think in the range of 5-10hp max. but who knows????
28hp is HUGE if you can get that from an intake!!!
Might have to dump the GS4 if thats the case...
Resetting the ECU might be a good idea to get the max gains possible from the intake.
Hey, not trying to be an arsss. but according to you, how did the Lexus engineers missed such a simple mod like the Joe Z intake tube for the extra 5hp that everyone claims? I can still see that the lexus engineers didnt choose an air filter like K and N because of the significant noise level increase, but JoeZ tube doesnt make any noise and its just a metal pipe thats mandrel bent. tell me how come the lexus engineer didnt think of it instead of the factory rubber hose thats so restrictive? Just my 2 cents no offense
Old 05-29-09, 02:29 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

The OP already installed it...

See thread here: K&N intake installed But my car got hit on the same day...

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
Hey, not trying to be an arsss. but according to you, how did the Lexus engineers missed such a simple mod like the Joe Z intake tube for the extra 5hp that everyone claims? I can still see that the lexus engineers didnt choose an air filter like K and N because of the significant noise level increase, but JoeZ tube doesnt make any noise and its just a metal pipe thats mandrel bent. tell me how come the lexus engineer didnt think of it instead of the factory rubber hose thats so restrictive? Just my 2 cents no offense
^^^ None taken I guess.... Not sure how or why I'm even involved... LoL

Joe Z
Old 05-29-09, 03:09 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Lexus engineers did think of it with the F-sport intake.

Old 05-29-09, 03:38 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by caymandive
Lexus engineers did think of it with the F-sport intake.
Good point James!!!

Old 05-29-09, 04:53 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=caymandive;4562305]Lexus engineers did think of it with the F-sport intake.

[/QU My point is why didnt they come with it from the factory. And I dont know why they have it for the 250 and 350 but not the F.
Old 05-30-09, 12:32 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

My point is why didnt they come with it from the factory. And I dont know why they have it for the 250 and 350 but not the F.

Because I'm always a step ahead of them.... LoL

IS300 released in 2002
ISx50 released in 2006
IS F released in 2008

Joe Z
Old 06-09-09, 11:06 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Any feedback yet? Even if you haven't gotten it dyno'd, how does the car feel with the intake? Has your MPG suffered...or even gotten better? Seems like a couple of people have gotten this intake but no one has actually given ANY type of feedback yet about it.
Old 06-10-09, 04:12 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Isn't the point of the 2 stage intake on the F to allow the extra air for HP near the upper band of the rpm range? And by allowing the air down low actually causes a loss of Torque and thus the reason for a closed airbox. Not like how the K&N is open the entire time.
Old 06-10-09, 05:48 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Any feedback yet? Even if you haven't gotten it dyno'd, how does the car feel with the intake? Has your MPG suffered...or even gotten better? Seems like a couple of people have gotten this intake but no one has actually given ANY type of feedback yet about it.
I agree as well will someone be getting a dyno soon?
Old 06-10-09, 08:28 AM
NoVa-isF
Driver School Candidate

We will see how well this intake works. Mine is on the way. I will try to get a baseline dyno this weekend at AAM.
Old 06-10-09, 08:45 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Isn't the point of the 2 stage intake on the F to allow the extra air for HP near the upper band of the rpm range? And by allowing the air down low actually causes a loss of Torque and thus the reason for a closed airbox. Not like how the K&N is open the entire time.
I have yet to see any official statement from Lexus stating that the dual stage intake was designed to increase the torque/power in lower RPM's etc. I believe that it was designed purely to keep the engine noise level low in the RPM's and keep it sounding like a traditional Lexus down low. Then when you romp on it, the secondary intake opens up and the car comes alive. I have bypassed the secondary intake and I personally feel the car is much more responsive down low now that both intake openings are open...Darshana S...

Quick Reply: Taking one for the team to test out the new K&N intake.