IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Taking one for the team to test out the new K&N intake.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 05:46 PM
ISF-88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking one for the team to test out the new K&N intake.

Since I ordered my Joe z exhaust and intake the intake won't arrive for at least another 3-4 weeks. So I ordered this k&n intake through my local dealer. Going to give it a try since it wasn't too pricey. My order won't take place til next thursday and should arrive to me within 2 weeks. I'll let u guys know how it goes and get it dyno'd same time as I dyno my exhaust. Stay tuned.
If it doesn't go well at least I have the Joe Z intake pipe on it's way for back up
Old 04-17-09, 08:01 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISF-88
Since I ordered my Joe z exhaust and intake the intake won't arrive for at least another 3-4 weeks. So I ordered this k&n intake through my local dealer. Going to give it a try since it wasn't too pricey. My order won't take place til next thursday and should arrive to me within 2 weeks. I'll let u guys know how it goes and get it dyno'd same time as I dyno my exhaust. Stay tuned.
If it doesn't go well at least I have the Joe Z intake pipe on it's way for back up

Old 04-17-09, 08:50 PM
ISF-88
Pole Position

I'm just letting everyone know I'll sacrafice being the test mule for this intake. So if the gains are true and no problems I will let u guys know how it goes. Just give it some time. I ordered it already just waiting for my local vendor to finish up his order on thursday and the intake will be here shortly after so I can find out if the gains are real or not.
Old 04-17-09, 09:38 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the dyno pulls not as a combo but individual mods, that way we can see exactly the gains from the K&N intake.
Old 04-17-09, 09:58 PM
ISF-88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Juanca
Do the dyno pulls not as a combo but individual mods, that way we can see exactly the gains from the K&N intake.

That will cost alot of money for dyno runs for me...what I'm planning to do is dyno this week base line stock, then when exhaust arrives have it installed then wait for intake to come in because my exhaust will arrive before the intake for sure. Then go back to the dyno and redyno with the exhaust only on first then have my mechanic install the intake at the dyno shop after and do another run with the intake to see if there is actually any gains from the intake. Intake is alot easier to install quick then the exhaust if I did it seperately or vice versa.
Old 04-17-09, 10:16 PM
ISF-88
Pole Position

My local vendor gets their cars dyno'd from a dyno shop that uses dynodynamics. I've noticed alot of ppl used a dynojet for the ISF. I was told dynojets will read higher numbers then other types of dynos and dyno dynamics has a more accurate reading. Should I look for a local shop with a dynojet or just use the dyno dynamics?

Last edited by ISF-88; 04-17-09 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-17-09, 10:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Just use the dynodynamics. The relative gains are what is important, not the absolute numbers.
Old 04-17-09, 11:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
Its not going to break the bank, but it will get expensive.
Old 04-18-09, 04:34 PM
stick
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't dyno as a combo.

Get stock baseline.

Then install intake for the second reading. Preferably install it right after the baseline dyno, then dyno for the intake. Drive for a few hundred miles then dyno the intake again.

Wait to install your exhaust. If you want to see the true gains, only install the intake. Yes, this may be pricey, but you have the perfect chance to find the real gains of this intake.

Your gains may be false if you dyno as a combo.
Old 04-18-09, 05:01 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keep us posted...
Old 04-19-09, 05:09 PM
PKROCKT
Driver School Candidate

Cool...thanks for doing this!
Old 04-23-09, 06:37 PM
550fresh
Rookie

Default just got intake 2 dAY

I just installled the k&n 2 day it was pretty easy only thing is it does not come with a nipple 2 secure a vaccum line.......it tells u in the instructions 2 do this but it did not come with one so i had 2 go 2 autozone and get one.......i just test drove it and it sounds mean when u gun it and has a quicker response so far i like it.......ill know in the next couple of days if i have any problems....
Old 04-23-09, 06:59 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 550fresh
I just installled the k&n 2 day it was pretty easy only thing is it does not come with a nipple 2 secure a vaccum line.......it tells u in the instructions 2 do this but it did not come with one so i had 2 go 2 autozone and get one.......i just test drove it and it sounds mean when u gun it and has a quicker response so far i like it.......ill know in the next couple of days if i have any problems....
Nice! Sounds good. I know it replaces the entire airbox. Does that mean it is as loud as the second stage of the stock airbox at all RPM ranges? This whole dual stage intake thing confuses me.

Anyways, thanks for the input. Any dyno plans for the future?
Old 04-23-09, 07:10 PM
550fresh
Rookie

Default it sound meaner faster i guess i would say

it was rush hour here in sd ca so im gona drive it again 2 nite and see i gunned it a couple of times then i would hit traffic so ill see 2 nite....as far as dyno i really dont have the time i was waiting 4 a full intake 2 come out i ordered it from autoanything and payed the extra 14 bucks 2 overnight it...i think it was worth it...
Old 04-23-09, 07:12 PM
550fresh
Rookie

Default sound more muscle car ish

also it is way louder that the second stage of the stock intake

Quick Reply: Taking one for the team to test out the new K&N intake.