IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

BC Racing Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 09:09 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

14K/10K is my standard offering. The front is heavy enough that it needs the additional resistance and I still bottom occasionally. The valving seems appropriate for this spring rate also. So far I have about 15K miles on the BC and the springs have relaxed a bit, I will probably measure up soon to see how much.

14K/10K is totally streetable on the 20 clicks plus settings, nothing harsh at all.

In my opinon the higher spring rate with usable damping range, the better. You still want the spring to control most of the large compression and the damping to minimize oscillations. With 30 way adjustment, there is plenty of room for the damping to impact the compression significantly.

I am also working on a higher performance solution from another company that will be significantly more adjustable and more advanced value....also wuite a bit more expensive. The BC's are by far the best value out there for drastically changing the handling of the car.

Hyper, the wheels are +45 front and +58 rear. I am considering increasing the lip on the rear get a less positive offset but I only have another 10mm or so of wiggle room and it will probably require some fender well work.

Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 11-18-09, 09:13 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by pchan0
That is the rubber mount right? What does the pillow ball one look like?
This is actually the lower mount, it will always look like this. The Pillowball vs rubber is referring to the upper mount....Pillowballs will do nothing for you on a double wishbone suspension since they are not part of the structural geometry of the suspension, just pure damping. In other words, they cannot add control, only precision on the mount iself which is not essential in this case.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 11-18-09, 09:58 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperMKIV
14/12k would be stiffer and more for track use while the 12/10k would be more streetable then???
i have 12k/10k and find it perfect i never bottom and my car is quite low im at20 clicks from soft and thats perfect for me firm but not harsh and if i need i can go firmer; but i dont see the need yet for 14k fronts do u fig? Where i bought mine i was not offered any options just sent me 12k/10k in the rear.
Old 11-18-09, 10:31 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
i have 12k/10k and find it perfect i never bottom and my car is quite low im at20 clicks from soft and thats perfect for me firm but not harsh and if i need i can go firmer; but i dont see the need yet for 14k fronts do u fig? Where i bought mine i was not offered any options just sent me 12k/10k in the rear.
Perhaps you bought them from the wrong place. I test everything I sell personally...because I am a picky MF. The 12K/10K is just a small step above the IS250 application. The F has a lot more weight up front and one of the first things I noticed on the stock suspension was diving and delayed steering of the front end through corners. This was a major gripe for me.

During testing I always pay attention to what most people will want and how most people drive. The fact that you are running 10 clicks out means you need stiffer springs IMO because you are trying to make things stiffer with damping. At 10 clicks out with 14K springs the steering is precise, no diving at all, just enough compression to fell the grip in the tires come in and out and to know when to apply throttle on the exit. Conversly at 20 clicks out, just 10 more clicks, the feel lofty, cushy and delayed...more comfortable for daily driving. To me this covers most use cases and give MEANINGFUL damping range. If your springs rates are off, the first thing you will notice is that half your damping range is useless. It may be too stiff or too soft and there are always non-linear end conditions in the damping that will make the edges undesireable to use anyway. For example, full-in the shocks will be in lock out and full out they will be in bypass meaning the valve has no effect (or minimal) on the passage of fluid. Full lock and full loose. You need to pick the area in the middle that translates to your driving circumstances.

Different valving technologies give you different response curves through these ranges of adjustment, the BC's appear to be fairly linear and that technology will serve most F consumers.

All I know is that I tested this application from a very broad usage perspective knowing that not everyone drives like I do. With the increased spring rate, the valving was also changed to provide a complimentary solution. Overall it came out how I like it and what I would expect from the product. But given that there are other people out there that know what they want, I offer any spring rate and valving to meet your specification. BC offers this as a standard service, why not take advantage of it?

You can order springs separately, but the valving may be off if the rate step is too large. Suspensions can be as complicated as you want them to be
There is always going to be a comprimise of cost, valve vs spring tech and finally...what it means to you as the driver in the whole control system.
Fig
Old 11-18-09, 10:36 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mike i am giving you a ride on my kw's hehehe
Old 11-19-09, 10:37 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

great info!!! thanks...
Old 11-20-09, 08:55 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Am I the only one who is BUGGED by this but I’m currently BC Coils and not that happy with them.

On the box, it clearly states IS350/IS250 use and when I asked my friend, he said the spring rates are probably “universal” so that leads me to think the BC Racing coils are not stiff enough for our IS-F with the V8 motor??? I bought them from a CL online vendor and they NEVER gave me the choice of 14k or 12k front springs so I’m guessing I got the lousy 12k/10k setup…grrrrrrrrrrr

Forget looks as even cut springs can look good while sitting still. However I feel my IS-F ride is more bouncy than it should be causing it to bottom out and hit my fender liners more than it should. I swear my e46 m3 with KWV3’s rebound much stiffer (yes ride would be rougher) but at least it will feel like a sport sedan. I think a lot of this bounciness can be due to these coils designed for the IS250 and NOT THE IS-F.

Btw I’m running FULL 20 clicks stiff on front and rear right now and my car is pretty slammed.

Now I’m thinking, does anyone know what the spring rates are for the KWV3 and Tien Comfort Coils?

Do the Tien Comfort Coils have actual springs rates CUSTOMIZED FOR THE IS_F and not a “Generic” setup?
Old 11-20-09, 09:13 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
Am I the only one who is BUGGED by this but I’m currently BC Coils and not that happy with them.

On the box, it clearly states IS350/IS250 use and when I asked my friend, he said the spring rates are probably “universal” so that leads me to think the BC Racing coils are not stiff enough for our IS-F with the V8 motor??? I bought them from a CL online vendor and they NEVER gave me the choice of 14k or 12k front springs so I’m guessing I got the lousy 12k/10k setup…grrrrrrrrrrr

Forget looks as even cut springs can look good while sitting still. However I feel my IS-F ride is more bouncy than it should be causing it to bottom out and hit my fender liners more than it should. I swear my e46 m3 with KWV3’s rebound much stiffer (yes ride would be rougher) but at least it will feel like a sport sedan. I think a lot of this bounciness can be due to these coils designed for the IS250 and NOT THE IS-F.

Btw I’m running FULL 20 clicks stiff on front and rear right now and my car is pretty slammed.

Now I’m thinking, does anyone know what the spring rates are for the KWV3 and Tien Comfort Coils?

Do the Tien Comfort Coils have actual springs rates CUSTOMIZED FOR THE IS_F and not a “Generic” setup?
who did you get these from???
most places i checked are willing to give you spring rate choices...
Old 11-20-09, 01:01 PM
FIGS
The Maker

I actually worked with BC to get the application correct and tested them on my F first after SEMA last year. So I know the application well. A lot of people sell BC coilovers. The 250 application has been out for a while so perhaps they were confused.

Fig
Old 11-20-09, 03:23 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

my kw's are 11k and 8k so they are softer but the valve does much work.
on my BC's i ran 16 and 14 and they felt good. But i think if i waited i would go 20 and 14k. I race the car so it means alot to me on the stiffness. the back needs to be super soft.

Old 11-20-09, 04:50 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

am i the only one who is bugged by this but i’m currently bc coils and not that happy with them.

On the box, it clearly states is350/is250 use and when i asked my friend, he said the spring rates are probably “universal” so that leads me to think the bc racing coils are not stiff enough for our is-f with the v8 motor??? I bought them from a cl online vendor and they never gave me the choice of 14k or 12k front springs so i’m guessing i got the lousy 12k/10k setup…grrrrrrrrrrr

forget looks as even cut springs can look good while sitting still. However i feel my is-f ride is more bouncy than it should be causing it to bottom out and hit my fender liners more than it should. I swear my e46 m3 with kwv3’s rebound much stiffer (yes ride would be rougher) but at least it will feel like a sport sedan. I think a lot of this bounciness can be due to these coils designed for the is250 and not the is-f.

Btw i’m running full 20 clicks stiff on front and rear right now and my car is pretty slammed.

Now i’m thinking, does anyone know what the spring rates are for the kwv3 and tien comfort coils?

Do the tien comfort coils have actual springs rates customized for the is_f and not a “generic” setup?
im in the same boat and they want 350+ more to fix the problem! Where is the customer service?
Old 11-20-09, 06:13 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

seems I've got the ones for the IS250/GS300, So hopefully Zen Motors here can get mine swapped out, because my car has been diving and I've tried adjusting the stiffness and it just continues to dive. =(

Update: They really respond super FAST! Tray is a great guy! Anyway... He's calling Monday and seeing if we can get them swapped out or just purchase the springs.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by verals05; 11-20-09 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-20-09, 06:52 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

put the rear at soft and if its at 12k i feel that you need a 14 or 16. This is diving in a turn. With wrong settings this happens. play with the settings more..
Old 11-21-09, 07:13 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

i am sorry i was wrong he wants 380 to revalve and 350 for springs now! so almost the price of a new set! wow! need customer service! also its not a daily driver just sits in the garage so its not like im wearing down what i have!
Old 11-21-09, 12:48 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought mine from Acute Performance who was/is a Clublexus sponsor? I tried to PM them but it said they are not receiving PM's anymore???

Quick Reply: BC Racing Coilovers