IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

BC Racing Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-09, 09:20 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks to all the experts here for their advice! I have 12k (front) and 10k (rear) and the sponsor I bought it from (Acute Performance) is nowhere to be found, shoulda known...

I'm going to give BCR a call today as I would definitely like to get 16k front or even 20k up front and 14k in rear as my springs are too soft for sure! grrr

I wonder how this swap would occur since no matter what there's labor involved plus my car would be stuck on the lift. I might just ditch these and get KW's.

Anyone know what KW spring rates are for the front and rear?

So where's the best place to buy KW's and cost?

rick
Old 11-24-09, 09:36 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's hard to relate spring rates from different companies, as some companies take a different approach altogether on rates and valving.

Burke has the KW's now and they have a much lighter rate than the BCR, but he said he still likes them a lot. The valving approach is completely different on the KW's.

We stand by what we sell and we are always here to answer our customers questions, on ANYTHING we sell.

S4 - If you have any questions on the KW's feel free to PM us, as we carry those as well.
Old 11-24-09, 09:38 AM
awd1973
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
Thanks to all the experts here for their advice! I have 12k (front) and 10k (rear) and the sponsor I bought it from (Acute Performance) is nowhere to be found, shoulda known...

I'm going to give BCR a call today as I would definitely like to get 16k front or even 20k up front and 14k in rear as my springs are too soft for sure! grrr

I wonder how this swap would occur since no matter what there's labor involved plus my car would be stuck on the lift. I might just ditch these and get KW's.

rick
Hey Rick,

Gonna send you a PM with a quote I received.
Old 11-24-09, 09:51 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
It's hard to relate spring rates from different companies, as some companies take a different approach altogether on rates and valving.

Burke has the KW's now and they have a much lighter rate than the BCR, but he said he still likes them a lot. The valving approach is completely different on the KW's.

We stand by what we sell and we are always here to answer our customers questions, on ANYTHING we sell.

S4 - If you have any questions on the KW's feel free to PM us, as we carry those as well.
in that case give me a new set of the correct ones that i want 16k/12k rear. this is what i want and i should not have to call bc since i bought them from u. and yes i was in a rush to get them but if i had been given an option i would have choosen these because its my track car. what do u say to that? help me circuit!!!!!!! since i did buy from u!!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-09, 01:38 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Well... My dilemma is that it will cost around $300 a spring a wheel to get mine revalved and springed or buy a new set. This stinks... PLUS LABOR! (16K/14K).

:-\
Old 11-24-09, 06:38 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by s4play

rick

11k front and 8k rear..
Old 11-24-09, 06:52 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
in that case give me a new set of the correct ones that i want 16k/12k rear. this is what i want and i should not have to call bc since i bought them from u. and yes i was in a rush to get them but if i had been given an option i would have choosen these because its my track car. what do u say to that? help me circuit!!!!!!! since i did buy from u!!!!!!!!
I have PM'ed you multiple times in an effort to work something out. You had a special case on your set and we did what you requested of us at the time.

We are here to help in any way we can, but we can only do so much.

Like I said, in order to get springrates like a 16k/12k setup you need a whole new set of revalved shocks, and then the springs.

We DO NOT get a discount on the revalved stuff, that all goes directly through BCR, not us. We DO NOT sell revalved shocks individually, it's a policy set by BCR themselves.
Old 11-24-09, 07:25 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

what is the major complaint. what is everyone trying to do with these. I had no issues. i heard you can order spring rates and dampening levels and took advantage of it. reason for selling mine was only that i wanted dbl adjustable suspension and soon might go 3 way adjustable. the recommended rates are fine but stepping it up will kill the ride but improve the steer. the fit and finish as well as the settings are awesome. As for Circuit motorsports they handled my custom issue with NO FLAWS. Having what you want done and knowing how suspension works helps. I think CMS did an excellent job.
Old 11-24-09, 07:38 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
I have PM'ed you multiple times in an effort to work something out. You had a special case on your set and we did what you requested of us at the time.

We are here to help in any way we can, but we can only do so much.

Like I said, in order to get springrates like a 16k/12k setup you need a whole new set of revalved shocks, and then the springs.

We DO NOT get a discount on the revalved stuff, that all goes directly through BCR, not us. We DO NOT sell revalved shocks individually, it's a policy set by BCR themselves.

This is totally true... You be better off purchasing a new set of BC's then selling the old set.

Originally Posted by chrisburke
what is the major complaint. what is everyone trying to do with these. I had no issues. i heard you can order spring rates and dampening levels and took advantage of it. reason for selling mine was only that i wanted dbl adjustable suspension and soon might go 3 way adjustable. the recommended rates are fine but stepping it up will kill the ride but improve the steer. the fit and finish as well as the settings are awesome. As for Circuit motorsports they handled my custom issue with NO FLAWS. Having what you want done and knowing how suspension works helps. I think CMS did an excellent job.
I think because most people, especially me thought they would get a set perfect for the car... Instead we realize that the set mailed usually are defaulted at a certain setting and you have to request what spring rates that you want.

Oh well... sometimes you have to learn the hard way, but I'm sure once someone gets their sweet spot on the setting they will love it.
Old 11-24-09, 08:33 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

anything i can do to help.
Old 11-24-09, 09:03 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by verals05
Well... My dilemma is that it will cost around $300 a spring a wheel to get mine revalved and springed or buy a new set. This stinks... PLUS LABOR! (16K/14K).

:-\

Yea forget that ~ way too much time/labor if you ask me! This is one of those things that sucks and now it's too late. I'm just going to buy KWV3's next time around.

chrisburke: thanks for the info, much appreciated!
Old 11-24-09, 09:18 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

Np... happy motoring..
Old 11-24-09, 09:48 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

One other work around you guys with softer springs can do is to preload the springs more. Since the BC's offer ride height adjustment and a spring preload adjustment independant of each other, I would suggest you compress the springs more and offset the ride height accordingly. This will at least give you a stiffer initial compression and perhaps better feel. The rebound may be more assymetrical with the single valve adjustment, but you may prefer the damping charateristics that way. Just a suggestion.

These are not necessarily straight forward things to decide when choosing a coilover. Its a multi-dimensional system and things could be drastically different when you actually start cycling things. Vendor to Vendor there will be valving curves, spring rate curves and finally fluid viscosity curves that vary with temp and seal wear. To put all of these things into a simplified solution is a problem. SO with that said I think that some of you may be able to get some different ride characteristics is you play with things a little bit.

Remember going stiffer can overshoot your goals and you could be left with a solution that nets you no additional traction, just stiffness and a rougher ride. For the track guys, it will also depend on what tire compound you run as R compound tires will let you push a lot more energy into the compression stroke that street tires will. With every variable change there is a compensation somewhere else...which is why championships do not come cheap at any level.

Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 04-25-10, 11:28 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

hows everyones BC coilovers doing.. did we get the spring rates right? I want feed back..
Old 10-01-10, 04:20 PM
discke
Rookie

Have you ever tried the other coilovers for IS F?
I'm using tein h tech now
And i don't like it because the ride is too bumpy
I'm considering to buy the BCR coilovers but still i'm still confusing
Because some people like and the others don't
Thanks

Quick Reply: BC Racing Coilovers